Home Poker - House Etiquette
These are rules that pertain to the players' behavior outside the playing of the game.Some rules that may enforced include:
- No smoking.
- No drugs.
- No swearing.
- No sexist talk if there are women playing - or even if there aren't.
- Any generally rowdy behavior.
- Taking the game too seriously if the game is a casual game.
- A generally bad attitude.
- Arriving late for the game.
- Please park where the host says. Many people who host a home poke game often get in trouble with the cops because of so many people coming to their house. It usually happens for a couple of reasons. First, the visiting players may park in the wrong place (like on neighbor's property). Second, some neighbors may think something shady is going on because there are so many cars.
- Don't be loud when walking back to your car. Some poker games might break up after 10pm. At this time, many neighbors may be in bed, so if you are talking or acting loudly while walking back to your car (or hanging out outside) this may anger the neighors.
- Don't criticize the host for having crappy chips. Not every host is interested in buying Paulson chips.
Although most talk about home poker game etiquette focuses on the players, the host of the game also needs to remember that they need to abide by the rules of etiquette. This is especially important if you run a game where you are frequently short of players. In this case, you will want to make your game as inviting as possible to retain your player base.
- Have all of the equipment set up and ready to go. Don't make players wait for 20 minutes while you count out the players' chip stacks.
- Have enough chairs for the players.
- Run a tournament correctly. If there is a lot of money at stake or it is a formal tournament, make sure you know how to run it in every major aspect.
- Be respectful of roommates. Make sure they are aware the game is going on, and don't object.
- Don't be rude to neighbors. Don't make too much noise, and make sure all the cars don't bother them. Tell your players not to make too much noise after they leave your house after the game.
- Don't feel like you should intentionally lose if you are the host of the game. It is not a discourtesy to win at your own game.
October 15, 2018
October 12, 2018
October 8, 2018
February 8, 2016
March 1, 2013