PDA

View Full Version : Terrible beat

thormx53
07-15-05, 11:19 PM
Sometimes I hate poker, lol.

My buddy called me up and said he had a bunch of people playing a cash game, so I went. I show up, and got a great seat. Right after the maniacs and before the calling stations. I buy in for 15$ (as did everyone else, pot was 165$) and blinds were at $.25 and $.50. I play solidly for about 30 minutes and ran my stack up to 28$ (chip leader). Then came this hand.

I was in third position, and look down at 4d4c. I smooth call, and so do 3 others, and the big blind checks. The flop comes down Ah 4h 8d, giving me a set. BB checks, and I bet out $1.50. Everyone folds to the BB, who is a really loose-agressive player. He raises me 1.50$, and immediatly I put him on a flush draw, maybe Jack or Queen high. I don't want him to draw to it, so I raise him 5$ more, giving him the wrong pot odds to call (31% to hit, 5$ bet into an $11.50 pot). Being the loose player he is, he calls me in a second (strengthening my thought that he is drawing since he called so fast). The turn is the 8h, giving me 4's full of 8's, and 3 hearts on board. He checked, and I bet 5$. He raised me all in, which was 13$ more. I had him covered by a quarter, and I called almost immediately, knowing my hand was best. To my surprise, he flips over Ah 3c. Before the river came, one kid said he folded an Ace, and 2 other kids say they folded 8's, leaving him one out. The Ace of spades. About 2% to get that card.

I'm sure you call all guess what the river was. Should have won about 25$ that hand but instead I lost that much. Real tough beat.

He must have stepped in some shit tonight, because he hit a royal flush about 10 hands before this one (which is where he won all of his chips, it was a big pot).

HPG ADMIN
07-16-05, 01:27 AM
"I don't want him to draw to it, so I raise him 5$ more, giving him the wrong pot odds to call (31% to hit, 5$ bet into an $11.50 pot). "

It was good that you were cognizant of the fact that you had to raise to make it a bad move to call. But it is implied odds you have to calculate - not pot odds.

thormx53
07-16-05, 11:44 AM
Ooh. Pot odds are for when you know exactly what you have (say I was on the flush draw), and you know your odds to make it, and if the ratio of the call to the pot is greater than your odds to hit, but implied odds are what you think the other guys pot odds are?

HPG ADMIN
07-16-05, 02:00 PM
Implied odds are basically the same as pot odds except the size of the pot is what the pot WILL be - not what it currently is.

If you make a $10 bet into a $15 pot and the other guy has a flush draw then he is only getting 2.5 on his money. But if he knows you have a good hand and you wont lay it down if he hits his flush then he knows he can get another $25 from you if he hits it then the pot will be $10+$15+$215=$50 in which case he is getting 5-to-1.

So implied odds = The money in the pot already + any money put into the pot on future rounds by OTHER players. With implied odds you count the money you put into the pot already but not any money you will put into the pot on future rounds - only other players future money.

thormx53
07-17-05, 12:24 AM
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks.

2 more bad beats to add to the list. Was playing in a 20$ buyin with my neighbor and his friends (a lot older than me, they were like 40 and I'm 17) at a block party. I played good for an hour and a half, and there were 3 of us left (only 1 and 2 paid). I was 2nd in chips, and that was only by a few and because the chip leader stole blinds like 4 rounds in a row. I looked down at 9 7 clubs in the big blind, and me and the dealer saw the flop. J 5 2, all clubs. He bet, I called. Turn was red and insignificant, 6d I think. He bet, I raised three times what he bet, and he went all in (about half of my stack). I called him, saying I know he is on the flush draw but I already have it. Sure enough, he turns over Qc10s. As you could have guessed, the river was a club.

Next hand, I look down from the small blind and see pocket 9's. I raise it 3x the blind, the BB folds and the dealer (chip leader) calls me. By the way he acted, I thought he had either overs (K J, something like that, he was a pretty loose player). Flop comes down 10 3 4 rainbow. I bet out 3.5x the blind, and the dealer puts me all in. I think about it, and I notice he is covering his mouth and leaning forward. I smell weakness, and call him. As I turn my cards over I say " I know you don't have 10s, small pockets?". He flips over pocket 2's. Turn was a blank, and I bet you all can guess the river!

I really hate poker sometimes, haha.

HPG ADMIN
07-17-05, 01:43 AM
"pocket 9's. Flop comes down 10 3 4 rainbow. dealer puts me all in. I smell weakness, and call him. As I turn my cards over I say " I know you don't have 10s, small pockets?".

That was just bad luck. It was good that you were smart enough to read that he didn't have the 10. If the flop was K-4-3 then it would be different because he could have A-K, K-Q, K-J. With the 10 high fklop, the only hands that make sense that would beat you there are A-10 or K-10s.