HomePokerGames Poker Forum

HomePokerGames Poker Forum (http://www.homepokergames.com/vbforum/index.php)
-   General Talk (http://www.homepokergames.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   What is the most aggravating thing about poker? (http://www.homepokergames.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=26044)

HPG ADMIN 10-21-04 01:21 PM

What is the most aggravating thing about poker?

What is the most aggravating things about poker? For most people it is the bad beats. Getting sucked out on is always something that can send you on tilt. But for me it is the times when you sit down at a table (especially a $10/$20 table or something) and get bad cards for 3 hours straight. If you get a bad beat, at least you were in a hand and had a chance of winning the hand. But when you get bad hands you feel hopeless because you have no chance of even winning a hand. Especially when you get the hands like J-10o in middle position because after getting hands like 7-2o for an hour, J-10o looks like a monster. So it is especially hard to lay it down. Or when you get KQo in late position and someone riases in middle position and you are dying to call because you haven't played a hand in 45 minutes but you know you can't call because you know the guys has a strong Ace and you are behind. Then you end up losing $200 just because of all the blinds you posted (especially the big blinds oyu had to fold when people raised and re-raised). Those nites suck the most for me.

Chad 10-22-04 07:01 AM

People who call a large bet with an inside straight draw and catch it.

Gocko1525 10-22-04 09:12 PM

i hate poor sportmans ship. it's so wrong when someone gets up and gets out of line. throwing chips and all that kind of stuff. bad beats are part of the game, getting bad cards sucks, but it could happen everyone once and awhile, you can't control the cards, but you can control your behavior.

Unregistered 10-28-04 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomePokerGames Admin
What is the most aggravating things about poker? For most people it is the bad beats. Getting sucked out on is always something that can send you on tilt. But for me it is the times when you sit down at a table (especially a $10/$20 table or something) and get bad cards for 3 hours straight. If you get a bad beat, at least you were in a hand and had a chance of winning the hand. But when you get bad hands you feel hopeless because you have no chance of even winning a hand. Especially when you get the hands like J-10o in middle position because after getting hands like 7-2o for an hour, J-10o looks like a monster. So it is especially hard to lay it down. Or when you get KQo in late position and someone riases in middle position and you are dying to call because you haven't played a hand in 45 minutes but you know you can't call because you know the guys has a strong Ace and you are behind. Then you end up losing $200 just because of all the blinds you posted (especially the big blinds oyu had to fold when people raised and re-raised). Those nites suck the most for me.

You hit the nail on the head for me.

Unregistered 11-12-04 11:10 AM

aggravating!

I agree with Chad -- last night at a home tourney I was sitting on A-K and came in for 4 times the size of the big blind hoping to get a couple of people out (it was later in the game and blinds were pretty big on top of it). The flop A-4-5 I'm thinking who would call such a big preflop raise with a 2-3 3-6 or 6-7? I should be pretty safe. Turn card is an 8 I bet and get reraised. I think to myself, could it be? I look across at the novice I'm playing and lay down my big slick -- correctly, at least. Yup she called the pre-flop raise with 6-7 off suit. Why bother to raise the pot if folks think 6-7 os is such a premium hand?

Oh well. In the long run, loose players that over-value their hands make you money than cost you money but that is soooo aggravating to me!

Jen :)

Alaskan 12-03-04 12:48 AM

Stupid Aggression Getting Rewarded

The most aggravating thing for me in poker has always been the bad beats. Seeing that one damn card out of three that could beat me out of all the chips I've worked for five hours to accumulate simply hurts like hell. But there is a special kind of bad beat that really kills me - when that one guy gets it on me.

My one guy is a guy named Nate. Nate is a decent guy, albeit a little shallow, outside of the poker table. When he sits down at that felt though he turns into his real self. Nate is an angry white suburban boy who wants everyone to know he's there. He does this by coming in every single hand. If I'm lucky, he just calls the big blind and whatever raises come preflop. On a day where he's really pissed or when he's getting a rush of cards he begins to bet preflop, flop, turn, and river with ANYTHING. The bets are astronomical, usually four or five times the size of the pot, and he will not fold if you try to put a move on him.

Now I don't mind this much because Nate's kind is extremely profitable to me. There are many like him in the underaged home games around Seattle, deeply angered children in young men's bodies with money to waste and a gambling addiction to appease. As such, Nate is at many of the games I attend. The biggest pots I have ever won have been from Nate, but also the biggest pot I have ever lost was to Nate. Nate is a player I don't like much as a person (you should carry yourself better than Nate) but also I realize he is essential to my survival.

Guys like Nate wouldn't keep playing though if they didn't have a lucky night once in a while, and unfortunately a lot of Nate's lucky nights have come at my expense. THIS IS THE MOST AGGRAVATING THING ABOUT POKER FOR ME.

The stupid aggression thing can wear you down. I am patient, but watching my A-K flop nothing for the seventh time in a row while Nate pounds away at me can get grating. If Nate were a good aggressive player I'd know I'd have to make a stand sometime soon, with either a move or a disguised monster. With Nate I know I just need to wait for something solid (because he'll call with all manners of drawing crap) and then I let all the chips go in like he so desires.

What aggravates me are those nights where Nate outdraws me simply in every way, and I try to bite my tongue and not say anything. Last week was my greatest test with Nate. Within fifteen minutes I had:

1) My two pair off the flop lose to a set on the river
2) My Q-Q run into K-K (plus a slowroll...gack!)
3) My top pair run into a backdoor straight
4) Another two pair off the turn running into a set on the river
5) My 6s full run into 8s full...on the river

Nate was on the short stack at the beginning, and gradually he took 60% off of my winnings for the night. The lack of class too bugged me - slowrolling, taunting, going over the hand I lost the most on again and again and again...but I kept quiet somehow.

And really, I shouldn't be angry, I should be laughing. Nate pays for the bulk of my bankroll, the expensive gifts I buy my girlfriend, the music equipment my band needs, the two or three times I eat out every week, the expensive sunglasses I wear at games, the movies I rent, and the food I serve to my friends at my own home games.

My poker buddy and I had come from hardworking but poor families before poker, and now we can treat our girlfriends to something nice whenever we like. When we're hanging out and we've got a friend who doesn't have enough to see a movie we can help him out now.

I live extremely well for a high school student and its because of guys that aggravate the shit out of me.

Once again, poker teases...

Chad 12-03-04 10:35 AM

The poker gods hate me

I caught trapped a guy for an all in with his inside draw against my 2 pair on the turn, and he caught on the river. The guy was betting on everything.

Alaskan 12-03-04 04:34 PM

I trapped with aces up and he got runner-runner flush.

But...you gotta take the bad beats otherwise no bad players would ever play.

Troggy 12-04-04 10:49 AM

Thx for the help

KK you just made me feel much better....well not much...but better. I host a Friday night poker game about 1-2 times a month with some relitives and the last 3 times I have been a big looser. These poeple do not know how to play poker but it seems like I just can't beat 'em. I ante myself to death then when I get a playable hand they chase a bad hand and catch what ever card it is they needed. Last night in over 4 hours of playing the best hand I got was a pair of 7's. All night it was Q-4 , J-6 , 9-5, ...etc Then like you said you get a Q-J suited and it seems like the nuts and then the flop is 3-4-7. :mad:

hrdrckr 12-04-04 11:22 AM

I know the feeling . last week we were playing a tourney and i had pocket rockets i raise before the flop and get re-raised so this is my ticket to go all in on them and the guy calls me with can you bel it .

Q , 8 of hearts and he flops a straight not to mention an ace high which gave me trip aces on the flop i was amazed then 2 hands later i was short stacked due to this and go all in with an open ended straight 9 or A was needed so all high cards on the board and i get called to a guy with pocket 3's and lose so in 3 hands i went from being the chip leader to being knocked out. How the hell you call an all in with pocket 3's when the lowest card on the board was a 7 is beyond me but thats poker i guess its just very very frustrating.

Oh not to ramble but my worst bad beat was in a monthly tourney that we have thats $300 buy in and avg's around 25-30 guys so its a nice prize which i have won once.

On the flop comes 6 , 6, 8 and i have pocket 8's so im like sweet there was some action and i go all in and can you fricken bel it the guy had quad 6's lol just wanted to share a bad beat with you all.

Unregistered 01-02-05 02:21 AM

Rock: respect denied!

I sit there playing my solid game, throwing away big hands out of position, tempting type hands that all loosies like to play. Time passes, I wait for the goods, get them, make a move, and some trash hand calls. Usually the odds hold up, but it's the lack of attention to "who's the table rock" that gets me. I'm glad trash called, but where oh where is the respect? I'm sitting there waiting for a hand, and finally when I play, something ridiculous calls me and tries to administer a bad beat. We've all had them, but when you know someones only going to play monsters why do you call with anything less?

The other side of the coin though is beautiful: now I have a license to steal, everyone KNOWS I've got the goods when I play a hand, bluffing is so much easier, the re-raises don't come so often, and now I can sneak in with my own junk and then when I hit with them, what? How will you play against me now?

I guess there's good in all things!

Chad 01-04-05 12:57 PM

That's how you win the big tourneys.

cdjackson 01-06-05 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered
I agree with Chad -- last night at a home tourney I was sitting on A-K and came in for 4 times the size of the big blind hoping to get a couple of people out (it was later in the game and blinds were pretty big on top of it). The flop A-4-5 I'm thinking who would call such a big preflop raise with a 2-3 3-6 or 6-7? I should be pretty safe. Turn card is an 8 I bet and get reraised. I think to myself, could it be? I look across at the novice I'm playing and lay down my big slick -- correctly, at least. Yup she called the pre-flop raise with 6-7 off suit. Why bother to raise the pot if folks think 6-7 os is such a premium hand?

Oh well. In the long run, loose players that over-value their hands make you money than cost you money but that is soooo aggravating to me!

Jen :)

Q4T

I agree, It's hard to play with people who don't know the "proper" way to play.....lol

Unregistered 01-06-05 01:55 PM

Worst Beat

For me, it was at the final table of a tourney on PokerStars. Grrrrrr.........

Sitting in 2nd chip position with just 5 people left in the tourney, I am dealt A7o, and I raise in position to $65,000. The chip leader calls me. Makes me nervous holding a moderately weak ace, but I still feel ok. The flop comes AA7. He checks to me. I bet another $65,000. He goes all in. I can't get my chips in fast enough. The cards get turned over and I'm proud when he sees aces full. He shows JJ. I know I'm golden, and will be the new chip leader :)

Turn comes a J. I figured, whatever. I've got a boat, he's got a set of jacks. The is only one card left in the deck he can catch to win. WHAM! There's the fourth jack on the river!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: I could not believe it. I've flopped a set plenty of times and lost, hell even flushes and straights, but I had never, and still havent, flopped aces full and lost! Not only that, it knocked me out of the tourney in 5th place. ARGH!!!!!!!!! I still shake my head every time I think about that hand. Thats as close to winning one of those tourneys as I've come :)

cdjackson 01-06-05 02:15 PM

^^^^^^ tough loss :(

Unregistered 01-06-05 08:20 PM

Hearing all the bad beat stories. As well as Being told the proper way to play poker. Last time I knew poker was called gambling.

Unregistered 01-07-05 09:41 AM

You are probably one of those lucky idiots who calls a huge bet and catches the inside straight on the river. Not everyone is as lucky as you.

Unregistered 01-07-05 06:09 PM

yep

just like I am the poor sap who gets his aces cracked by someone chasing down an inside straight draw...bottom line..all good and bad beats even out..its the ying and yang my friends

Chad 01-08-05 02:06 PM

It actually shouldn't even out though...

Bad beats are never 50% or more to win. They should be very rare. However, I have seen many and taken many. NL hold'em: I'll tell you what though, I (finally) rivered someone with 2 outs. First 4 cards are 3 3 3 8. I go all in with 9 8o. Everyone folds but the guy behind me, who calls. He has an A 8. So, it looks like a split until I catch the 9 on the river and make a silightly higher full boat. And even worse, the next hand he goes all in with pocket Qs b4 the flop short stacked and someone calls him with A 3 off and catches the A, busting him out. I've had my run of bad luck, but I don't know if it has ever been that bad.

FLSkevin 01-08-05 09:40 PM

Quote:

just like I am the poor sap who gets his aces cracked by someone chasing down an inside straight draw...bottom line..all good and bad beats even out..its the ying and yang my friends

How many times have I heard......

"It's a good play when you get your money in with the best hand."

Play a good online hand aggressive and some moron will suck out a big pot on the turn or river and and then talk smack. Then you hang tough and the moron that sucked out ends up playing stupid hands and is busted out because the play he got lucky with me hasn't worked in about an hour. Well....I'm getting shorted on the ying and way to much yang. It seems my good pots are getting out numbered by my bad beats. What took me hours to build up with small pots gets wiped out when someone calls and is way behind and ends up winning.

I have been keeping track and I have had pocket pairs with a set on the flop beat by a gut shot straight or flush on the river 23 times in the last month.

I know it's gambling, but in poker at least you can draw on experience and figure out some sort of odds on the win/loss. Getting called by a player that has a 2% chance to win and pulls it out his ass is very aggrivating. If losing hands to players with a small percentage to win was tracked I'd be at about 75% on that one.

Unregistered 01-10-05 11:52 AM

When You are dealing in a home game or tournament and you river yourself by giving your opponent the flush on the river

Unregistered 01-13-05 03:48 PM

bad cards in flop

You have to look at a real-life example. Mr. Huckseed is a professional player and him as well as Daniel Negreanu will call with those kind of hands because they know they may get a large chunk of your stack when you get married to your hand. It's not a bad play, loose, but not bad. When you know it's limits it's a good play.

Chad 01-17-05 09:16 AM

Quote:

You have to look at a real-life example. Mr. Huckseed is a professional player and him as well as Daniel Negreanu will call with those kind of hands because they know they may get a large chunk of your stack when you get married to your hand. It's not a bad play, loose, but not bad. When you know it's limits it's a good play.

Every once in a while I will hang on to a 9 10 off or a 67suited to see a flop for a limp. If there are no face cards on the flop, you could have a winner. If everyone else is in the hand, the chances are that most of them have an A or some other overcards, so you probably won't see any come to the flop. Playing only overcards in the pocket will never win you the game consistently, (unless you can bluff really well.) Having 2 overcards in your hand is a rare occurance. Having them hit the flop could be even more rare. While everyone else only plays aces, I'll play most cards (8-K), but not the A. That way if there is no A on the community, I can either hit a hand of bluff because no one else got the A that they were hoping for.

Unregistered 01-17-05 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLSkevin
How many times have I heard......

"It's a good play when you get your money in with the best hand."

Play a good online hand aggressive and some moron will suck out a big pot on the turn or river and and then talk smack. Then you hang tough and the moron that sucked out ends up playing stupid hands and is busted out because the play he got lucky with me hasn't worked in about an hour. Well....I'm getting shorted on the ying and way to much yang. It seems my good pots are getting out numbered by my bad beats. What took me hours to build up with small pots gets wiped out when someone calls and is way behind and ends up winning.

I have been keeping track and I have had pocket pairs with a set on the flop beat by a gut shot straight or flush on the river 23 times in the last month.

I know it's gambling, but in poker at least you can draw on experience and figure out some sort of odds on the win/loss. Getting called by a player that has a 2% chance to win and pulls it out his ass is very aggrivating. If losing hands to players with a small percentage to win was tracked I'd be at about 75% on that one.

haha you must be playing on absolute poker.....the most rigged site on the net!

Chad 01-17-05 12:03 PM

Many online site has the very improbable bad beats...

I've played on party poker and I quit after an unreal number of bad beats. I played on Bugsy's and that was an absolute joke about the bad beats. I played a $1 game and was trying to lose. I went all in with the worst hand and got called about 10 times and won 9 of those.

It IS a good play when you get your chips in with the best hand! That's why I quit online poker. And WOW! what do you know!? I am doing well now that I am playing real games. I place in the money pretty consistently when not playing online.

Mago 01-18-05 03:22 PM

Ditto, Online sucks. I have been playing live games and am consistantly a winner. Several tournaments and won 5 , placed 5th in one and also just finished a trip, first time to a Vegas poker room and won 400.00 in Limit 4/8. Flamingo and Mirage. Online, never again.

beardyian 02-20-05 06:01 PM

A newbies response

Ive only been playing (online only) for 2 months today - Happy Birthday,etc

But the most annoying thing ive found is people who just will not bet when you see how big the cards are.

It just makes me wonder if they can possibly get the same "joy" when they win after watch the whole table just suffering 'check syndrome'

Test the water at least - if you have AK or KK etc and see no one else betting or folding, just what do you think should be happening? :confused:

Oh well

Cheers for now

IanT

Unregistered 02-26-05 12:31 PM

people getting lucky with the worst hands

the most aggravating thing about poker is watchin people win with the worst hands.

I was in a tournament last thursday. when i set down at my table i figured i might stand a chance to make the final table since everyone at my table except 2 player was not a regular to this casino.

did I think wrong.

my first hand i ended up splitting with a novice/home game hero at best. after that it was all down hill for me.
a few hands later i had a K-10 suited in late position and the novice who was in the big blind raised, I and 2 others called. the flop showed a K-10-8 the novice raised, the turn 5, at this point figured i better raise or someone will draw out on me, so i rasied, everyone except the novice folded then the river showed a A, i checked he rasied so i called, in the end he had an A-8 off suit. I nearly went insane after seeing this, this guy was raising with an A-8 offsuit and got lucky on the river. after that he was the chip leader in the tournamet of about 80 players.

i was watching this guy win so many pots with the worst hands. another hand this guy called an all-in with a Q-6 offsuit and won on the river to pair his 6.

as for me the only hand good hand i had was the split i had with this guy. there's nothing you really do when your getting cards like 2-2, 2-4, 7-4,9-3 except fold.

in the end it was the blinds that knocked me out.

Magojim 02-26-05 12:56 PM

Should have folded the K 10...however, you are correct...The novices are idiots when they play like that. You have to sit back and out play them and let others try to knock them out and hope that you get sent to another table. I see junk like that all the time. Don't berate them, let them think that it was a good play.

Not much you can do but say "hey, that was a good read and call. I never would have been able to call with nothing and hope get something on the river. Wow!!! you are good. Maybe I should start holding out like that."

He can play like that for this tournament but ultimately, he will not win. You were just unlucky. BTW, this type of player is why some believe that a professional will not win the WSOP anytime soon.

Unregistered 02-27-05 12:17 AM

Remember, experience yields bad beats

The worse thing about poker is the bad beats. If you've been keeping records of yourself you'll probably see that bad beats have been happening more often to you the more you play and the better you get. Its hard to remember that the better you get, the more likely you are to put yourself in a position where you have the best hand and can be outdrawn. THe less experienced you are, the more likely you will be to put your chips in with the worse of it and outdraw the person with the best hand (if you can follow all that)