View Single Post
Old 10-08-04, 11:52 AM

nope

I think women in general have the abilities to be vastly superior poker players then men. Poker is a game of controlling emotions at the table so you don't give anything away. Let's face it, us men (cough cough.. Hellmuth, Matasow.. cough cough) have a harder time dealing with emotions when it's all on the line.
Women also have a greater innate ability to accomplish several tasks at once. The example I've always heard in psychology class was talking on the phone, cooking dinner and taking care of the baby at the same time. In the poker world, that could translate to calculating pot odds, putting players on hands and evaluating her own hand at the same time.

If a woman and man of equal mental capacity were each taught to play poker the same way.. I would bet the woman would evantually become the better player. Take for example Annie Duke and brother Howard Lederer. Howard is one of the best players in the game today, but he's never knocked his sister out of a tournament, while she's done it to him 4 times now (granted the 4th time was a bad beat for Howard in the Tournament of Champions).

Last edited by RadioDave; 10-08-04 at 12:33 PM.