View Single Post
Old 02-18-05, 06:05 PM
Mago

What is your image at the table? What are the blind limits? 1/2 2/5?

If you are in early to middle position then depending on the other players at the table it is ok to limp and hope that someone raises. If you are on the button or close with several limpers, then raise. If you are in a full ring or shorthanded game I would go with that strategy. But even that is not always the best strategy. If you know of a player that is aggressive and potentially will raise let him do the raising.

***if you are considered tight, then any raise or aggression by you could cause the whole table to fold...you get blinds that is it.

*** if you have raised several pots and then been able to lay them down after the flop...you stand a good chance of getting called no matter the size of the bet.

I see the concern here is getting value for your strong hand. Always a problem.

If you are in a low blind NL game then you could limp early and hope that someone raises you then you pop them with a good size raise...maybe pot size and you are most assuredly going to get him to call your raise with everyone else folding. Then when the flop comes and it is your turn you will bet out " ALL -in " heads up is not a bad play here if the flop is favarable. RAG RAG RAG ,and most likely win the pot there. Which is what you want to happen...ACE's cracked is not fun.

If an A shows up on the flop then beautiful...then you will slow play like there is no tomorrow. Make him think you are afraid of the A on the board. You are setting up him to bluff at the pot. then take his head off.

The problem with slow play from any position in a low blind game is you will have many people staying in with crap and that is what beats you. Not that they should have stayed, but you let them stay by not raising. If you are in position I would always raise at least pot size. Early and middle position is always the toughest. Do I raise or limp? If you limp then you are gambling that your ACE's will not get cracked.

There are many ways to play ACES' these are just what works for me...ring game or tournament. Have fun amd make some money.