View Single Post
Old 02-12-05, 10:36 PM
Iceman37

There was a bad play made on the hand you describe...

...but I don't think you're the one who made it. Your opponent was shortstacked, yes...but not severely, if he was only 20k or so behind you. If he moved immediately allin preflop with AK (a great 3-player hand) my question is, what the hell was HE thinking? If he was out to steal the blinds, I think that was a mistake with that hand, in that position, with that stack. He should have made a reasonable raise and hoped for a caller against whom he's almost certainly a favorite, and then played the hand out (much more profitable in the long run). If that ploy fails and everyone folds, he has still captured the blinds. Even if he gets a caller and gets beat, it couldn't be considered a "wasted" hand because he started it the likely favorite, played it out, and may very well even be able to get off the hand if it cracks before the showdown, with little loss. Without having played with the guy, and without you giving more detail about his "style", it's kinda hard to say this with certainty, BUT...to me, a shortstacked preflop allin from the button by no means indicates that KJos is behind at all. In fact, to me it screams "blind steal" and you could just as easily have been even or better money (and you were getting better pot odds than that, so the call isn't entirely unreasonable).

Now, ask me if I would have made the call and I say "hell no". But thats MY comfort zone...that doesn't mean the call itself was a bad one, in that particular situation. Simply put, the bad play was made by the guy who got miffed because he thought YOU played badly.