View Single Post
Old 04-19-05, 01:59 PM
Iceman37

Playing as a team isn't cheating, and it isn't colluding (and a good thing too, or a lot of professional poker players would be out of business). It's colluding if they communicate their holdings to one another, or fix the betting between themselves, etc. But having several players who are known to one another playing at the same table isn't on it's face collusion. It's the same as a bunch of friends gathering around the poker table to play...just that they divy up the money between them at the end of the night. That's been going on since the dawn of the game, and if you think you've never been involved against some of these teams then you're either not very experienced or you're exceedingly naive. I would bet that as many as a third of the people making their living at this game do it either as part of an organized team, or as part of a pair of rounders who are constantly staking one another to get in and stay in the game. Unfortunately there are definitely those who would use this tactic to cheat (ala "Worm" and our favorite hero "Mike" from the movie, who did it quite effectively)...but there are many who don't. They just absorb each other's wins and losses to enable them to play with more protection.

Believe me, if I found anyone "fixing" a game, communicating their holdings, using a bot or any of the other crap that (unfortunately, a LOT of) people do to cheat (especially these days) I'd be the first one to get the rope and scout out a good sturdy tree. But poker teams are a fact of life (same with blackjack). I have no problems whatsoever with that, if they play with honor.