View Single Post
Old 10-15-05, 11:24 PM
Unregistered

U R An Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan
The most aggravating thing for me in poker has always been the bad beats. Seeing that one damn card out of three that could beat me out of all the chips I've worked for five hours to accumulate simply hurts like hell. But there is a special kind of bad beat that really kills me - when that one guy gets it on me.

My one guy is a guy named Nate. Nate is a decent guy, albeit a little shallow, outside of the poker table. When he sits down at that felt though he turns into his real self. Nate is an angry white suburban boy who wants everyone to know he's there. He does this by coming in every single hand. If I'm lucky, he just calls the big blind and whatever raises come preflop. On a day where he's really pissed or when he's getting a rush of cards he begins to bet preflop, flop, turn, and river with ANYTHING. The bets are astronomical, usually four or five times the size of the pot, and he will not fold if you try to put a move on him.

Now I don't mind this much because Nate's kind is extremely profitable to me. There are many like him in the underaged home games around Seattle, deeply angered children in young men's bodies with money to waste and a gambling addiction to appease. As such, Nate is at many of the games I attend. The biggest pots I have ever won have been from Nate, but also the biggest pot I have ever lost was to Nate. Nate is a player I don't like much as a person (you should carry yourself better than Nate) but also I realize he is essential to my survival.

Guys like Nate wouldn't keep playing though if they didn't have a lucky night once in a while, and unfortunately a lot of Nate's lucky nights have come at my expense. THIS IS THE MOST AGGRAVATING THING ABOUT POKER FOR ME.

The stupid aggression thing can wear you down. I am patient, but watching my A-K flop nothing for the seventh time in a row while Nate pounds away at me can get grating. If Nate were a good aggressive player I'd know I'd have to make a stand sometime soon, with either a move or a disguised monster. With Nate I know I just need to wait for something solid (because he'll call with all manners of drawing crap) and then I let all the chips go in like he so desires.

What aggravates me are those nights where Nate outdraws me simply in every way, and I try to bite my tongue and not say anything. Last week was my greatest test with Nate. Within fifteen minutes I had:

1) My two pair off the flop lose to a set on the river
2) My Q-Q run into K-K (plus a slowroll...gack!)
3) My top pair run into a backdoor straight
4) Another two pair off the turn running into a set on the river
5) My 6s full run into 8s full...on the river

Nate was on the short stack at the beginning, and gradually he took 60% off of my winnings for the night. The lack of class too bugged me - slowrolling, taunting, going over the hand I lost the most on again and again and again...but I kept quiet somehow.

And really, I shouldn't be angry, I should be laughing. Nate pays for the bulk of my bankroll, the expensive gifts I buy my girlfriend, the music equipment my band needs, the two or three times I eat out every week, the expensive sunglasses I wear at games, the movies I rent, and the food I serve to my friends at my own home games.

My poker buddy and I had come from hardworking but poor families before poker, and now we can treat our girlfriends to something nice whenever we like. When we're hanging out and we've got a friend who doesn't have enough to see a movie we can help him out now.

I live extremely well for a high school student and its because of guys that aggravate the shit out of me.

Once again, poker teases...

To tell u the truth my friend u r not a winning poker player if u cant beat "Nate" because if u cant beat an idiot like that then u r the idiot. Learn to play agressive players and stop complaining about it. According to your story "Nate" is just out playing the shit out of u.