View Single Post
Old 12-24-09, 09:34 PM

Having read through the various posts I would like to offer my opinion on the way you played the hand. Personally I think you played this hand correctly at every point. I disagree with arguments suggesting that you should have been happy to isolate and take down the pot preflop and remain the chip leader at the table. I believe that this is a weak strategy- *YOU NEED TO GAIN MAXIMUM VALUE FROM YOUR PREMIUM HANDS * if you want to cash where it matters. I believe that driving the calling station out of the hand and thus 'playing scared' with rockets preflop is a strategy geared to simply cashing rather than winning the tourney and would be better suited to a satellite tournament rather than one with a staggered cash payout structure. Surely you’re looking to pick up at least two customers preflop and allow the lunatic to hang herself? Admittedly allowing players to see a flop is increasing your exposure but if you want to win it has to be done. Your not playing in a cash game-where you can afford to wait for the absolute nuts- you have a finite amount of time in a tourney and although your position at the table looked promising blind pressure and the strong possibility of a poor run of hands makes it imperative that you look to get into a pot with this player and give your self the best possible opportunity to double through. I believe that the suggestion that you could have picked a better spot is also misguided. Again you’re not in a satellite and you’re not playing in some deep stack- 'last one to fall asleep wins tourney'. You had them both chasing rainbows preflop, on the flop and turn (when the money went in) you were a massive favourite to win a key pot, what more do you want?
However I would question your reasoning for betting. Is it not the case that you bet 35k on the flop as a value bet believing that you where in font? You stated that you bet 'to see if the calling station had anything'- surely there is no point in betting to extract information from a calling station (someone who has little to no understanding of hand value) if the calling station calls with anything surly betting for information is pointless??? You’re betting to gain value and protect your hand- surly you’re not trying to get a read. I think in this pot there is little to no point in analysing this woman’s betting patterns= you’ve got every right to believe that you are in front at every point in this hand.........this woman would have had to get very lucky to win this pot and she did. If you’re expecting not to get drawn out on- don’t sit at the table. You seem to show allot of hostility towards this woman sucking out on you. Surely she played as you would have liked? She called with the worst hand and tried to double you up with brain dead play- I say tell her she played a good hand and thank god she was at your table. Whether you won the hand or not is irrelevant you gave yourself the best possible opportunity to cash at the top end and that’s what its all about.*please note this is my own personal opinion- and I defiantly don’t know it all. I think the key question in this hand is what do you want from this tourney- do you want to cash or win? Personally I always look to win but to be fair im not a pro grinding out a living. Best wishes PS. don’t criticise poor play and slate such players its counter productive- these are the players from whom you make your money-don’t tap on the aquarium. Merry christmas