View Single Post
Old 09-13-05, 10:46 PM

Why ESPN ruined poker.

I was asked the question as to why I think ESPN ruined poker.

The thought process behind this is really quite simple. Before ESPN how many people playing live games did you see wearing hats, glasses and i-pods.

Likely answer: NONE

The game of poker has changed even though the premise is still the same. Now people think they are the next Phil Ivey or Josh Arieh, and try to emulate it.

Let me give you an example I am playing in a live $100 rebuy and it isn\'t a big field but average, it\'s getting late and a guy gets busted out with a marginal hand at best. He doesn\'t shake hands or say NH, he goes off wondering why the other guy was in the hand, when his hand was totally dominated pre flop and after the flop. Then proceeds to storm off and anybody in his way got the sad stroy.

Reminded me of Mike Matusow, extreme yes, but I never saw this type of behaviour before live. Many years of playing, and many bad beats, never once have I said anything to anyone. Why? There is always the next hand.

The game of poker is a long term proposition, and you must treat it as such even in the bad times.

Thanks for the question, and I hope to see you at the poker room soon.