View Single Post
Old 04-26-05, 07:03 AM

Shake, rattle and roll

I get the adrenaline shakes ANY TIME I'm in a big hand...and not exclusively live games either. I shake even playing play money online. I attribute this to just being a pretty high strung player. For me it's not a tell because I am shaking whether I've got a monster or I'm on a stone bluff. The only thing I've found that really seems to help it at all is to focus on breathing (which is something else I have difficulties with if I'm in a big hand). Breathe in, breathe out...slowly though, and as deeply as you can get away with without giving yourself away.

Oddly enough, the biggest hand I was ever dealt in live play caused me to STOP shaking. I don't know if it's because I was absolutely certain I wouldn't be beat (I WAS--read all about it on my blog @ icemanpoker.blogspot.com) or what, but when I hit my straight flush I stopped shaking entirely. My only tell at that time was a raging woody at the prospect of taking down a huge pot.

Whatever you do, though, don't think of adrenaline shakes as something "weak" or other silliness. Adrenaline amps your body, and there's nothing you can do about that. Likewise, intense pressure situations pump the adrenaline. Nothing you can (or should) do about that either. Minimize the shaking as much as you can and then move on. Being a solid player more than makes up for the shakes and any "tell" you might be giving away anyway.