View Single Post
Old 07-17-05, 01:38 AM
Administrator

"I overbet the pot knowing a kid was on a draw, and he called me."

The point of raising a pot against someone on a draw is not to get them to fold (in NL tournaments maybe) but you are doing it so that even if they call then they are making a mistake. So basically, if they fold because the odds are against them then you win all the money in the pot and if they call then they are making a mathmatical mistake. You jsut have to have faith that in the long run the math will be your friend.

"Should I loosen up more and see more flops? Push harder with middle pair instead of waiting around for top pair with a huge kicker? I hate raising preflop with good hands"

I think you should realize that the definition of "good cards" changes as more players are in the hand. Against 7 players, pocket Aces are not great because someone will have 2 pair in the end. Against 7 players, I would almost rather have J-10s then A-A.

You should realize that you will make most of your money on draws because draws (straights, flushes) win big pots. This is because all those loose players will have 2 pair or a set and will call when there is a straight or flush on th e board. You don't want to be the one with 2 pair. You want to be the one with the flush. When you get hands like A-2s in late position you want to get excited about these hands because you aren't looking to flop an Ace you are looking to fraw to the nuts.

PREVIOUS POST: "Never get away from top 10 hands".

This is a mistake. The top 10 hands changes from situation to situation. High pairs play better aginst 1-2 players. Suited conectors play better against 5-10 players. Poker is situational.