View Single Post
Old 08-04-05, 03:22 AM

Keep Dreamin\'

My lovely wife says that its pathetic that I dream about poker. I should know better than to tell her about my crazy poker dreams and my delusions of grandure at some final table with millions on the line, but I really enjoy them. I mean, where else can you bluff Phil Hellmuth out of a monster pot with 6 high. Before poker, I used to dream about playing for the 49ers and driving down the field to score a touchdown and win a Superbowl in the last 2 minutes of the game playing QB, RB, and WR all at the same time. I used to dream about playing for the Lakers in the NBA Finals Game 7 and catching a pass from Magic then slam dunkin on the great Micheal Jordan to win the game. I used to dream of bubble baths with Cindy Crawford as well, but that's another story altogether. Why am I talking about dreams you ask? Well I had this dream last year that almost came true.

My good friend Shake and I had taken a trip to Commerce and played a few satellites during last years Cal State Poker championships. We did pretty well and went home pretty happy with the success we had during the entire trip. If everything worked out, we would be able to win enough to play the main event which was coming up later that week. I was pretty excited about the whole event because we had missed out on many other tournaments due to work and it seemed as if we actually had a chance to participate in this one. All I could think about was poker that whole week. I brushed up on some Super System techniques and played many games online for practice. I Tivo'd the WPT and WSOP shows so I could watch them every chance I got. I held home games and even played cards with my 6 year old daughter when no one would come over, and yes I would dream about poker as well.

2 days before the main event I had a dream about playing at the final table of the Cal State Poker Championship. I wouldn't really make a big deal out of it, but I found it really funny that the only person I recognized at the table was non other than Ben Affleck. Of all the pros and all the card sharks out there, the best my imagination could muster up was Ben Friggin Affleck? It was a grueling final 9 and after some crazy beats, I ended up heads up with Poker Ben. He offered me a great deal for more money than first place paid because he said that the money didn't matter to him, he wanted the trophy and braggin rights. I told Ben that it wouldn't be fair if I just gave him the title, and that he would cherish it better if he beat me straight up. So we battled on and without any specific hand I was able to beat Ben for the title. No great headlines for poor Ben Affleck, and whats worse was that the media, fans, and railbirds were actually pretty upset at me for winning. I didn't care, I won and I was champion. The next day, I told Shake about my dream and he was said that I was crazy. After all, it wasn't the first time I had a poker dream.

Much like last weekend, one thing led to another and work got in the way of us making it to the tourney. I didn't really mind because I was actually about $1300 short of the buy in and was looking to win a few more satellites before the actual event. You could only imagine my state of mind when I found out that Ben Affleck won the tournament. It was as if I had missed my once in a lifetime chance. Shake called me in disbelief when he learned of the outcome and we both sat there in shock. I haven't had any dreams like that since then, but you better believe that if I ever have a premonition of winning a poker tourney I'll be there, come hell or high water.

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 05-16-13 at 01:34 AM.