Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk

Notices

Old 09-17-10, 03:38 PM

Am I doing something wrong?

I play tight aggresive and after letting opponents suck out too many times I will now try to take the pot down after the flop or turn rather than trying to get in one more raise. However, lately my profits have gone down to nearly nothing. For example I will play for three to six hours and win only 15.00 and it only takes one bad beat (or read) to nullify my very slow and hard earned winnings. Last night I have pocket 77 and the flop comes 9 7 4 with two clubs and then the turn comes a meaningless 3 of spades so I raise the pot 3 times thinking I don't want anyone hitting their club flush draw. This guy raises and I think he has KK (or other big pair) and I got him with a set. We both go all in and he turns over pocket 56 wins with a double gapped str8!!!
Now all my profits are gone. I play for two more hours and don't lose anymore money but I didn't win either. How can I play for so many hours and not win anything? Am I too tight? should I play loose and bet more, but risk losing much more?
Any ideas out there?
Old 09-17-10, 05:14 PM

Tight-Aggressive play doesn't constitute a 3x BB raise. A tight aggressive raise is more along the lines of 4-6. You played the set okay, it was merely a bad beat--however I think what could help you most is calculating the pot odds. Keeping with your style (which you should switch up every now and again) make sure that your bet makes it tough to call, or at least if he does call- you know you could be beat/or that he could be on a big draw and to be careful. I think you could benefit from playing more aggressive when you have the best hand, or even try to pick your spots better in order to find out where you're at. Look up some videos on "small ball" poker by Daniel N. I think that fits the style you like to play, and with a few improvements to your game you should be alright. Good luck!
Old 09-17-10, 05:15 PM

i didnt read that correctly. 3x pot raise is definitely strong--disregard my first statements
Old 01-18-11, 12:10 PM

It's important to understand that poker has a lot more variance than any of us would like it to have, especially if you let the results of a single session get to you. Best thing you can do is focus on your game, try to stay focused and tilt-free, as well as work on your game in between sessions via session-reviews, coaching, books & training videos. Results should follow over the long haul.