Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk

Notices

Old 04-21-09, 03:28 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to lytstephen
MULTIPLE bad beats in a short amount of time

I understand perfectly that bad beats are exactly the reason we get paid - cause if they can't bad beat on us they'll never play. Moreover, a bad beat means it was +EV for us to start with. But...

4tables on Absolute Poker:

AA PF 4bet raised and got shoved by KK, called, K came on the turn
KK PF 3bet raised and got shoved by 99, called, K99 is the flop. go figure.
hit 2 pairs on the flop, shoved on the turn got called by A2s no pair, flushed the river.
hit nut str8 on the turn, got shoved by A8s no pair, called, flushed the river.

All in a less than one hour stretch.

When the first one happened, I laughed. The second one happened, I laughed even harder. Third one happened, I started steaming a little. By the fourth one, I had to take a break.

Funny enough, I still managed to get up one BI for the day after 3 hours with no bad beats from me. Go figure fish are too plenty, so don't tap the aquarium no matter what. Suck it up like a man.
Old 04-21-09, 03:15 PM

The thing that aggravates me the most is making crafty plays against blind players.. and then not learn from the mistake. My biggest weakness in a game is realizing a player doesn't look at the texture of the flop. Just how it relates to his hand, you can't bluff that. I get angry with the player for making calls that he had no buisness calling, in my mind, to him he didn't even register my bet ponder on what I had, if it could beat his bottom pair. No he had a piece and he came to play. My aggravation is throwing good money after bad. Ends up ruining the whole session for me. The only thing that pisses me off more.... Two of these types on a table whipsawing the bet so fast that you lay your hand down, only to see q high win.
Old 05-22-09, 06:19 AM
Unconfirmed Email

Send a message via AIM to craftart2003 Send a message via Yahoo to craftart2003
Smile The Worst for me is...

Ok, first, I agree with ALL of you, from the jerks at the table, like the nates, are a dime a dozen, to the inside draws that make it, not just for 20 bucks, but for your whole stack when you flop top set!! but the WORST FOR ME is.....

No matter how hard I study, read, play, watch, adapt, etc.......

I find myself beating myself up, because if i "were that good" I should be able to lay down the hand when I KNOW im beat, odds or not, or KNOW when to get out, or KNOW NOT to SHOVE all in, because NATE WILL CALL and GET THERE!! AHHH!!!

For me its hard to know when you do lay down big hands, when you haven't seen a single pair ALL NIGHT, but the pots been triple raised by the worst players in the worst positions....

So yes, the bad beats suck, bad calls by people with no odds, no implied odds, no outs but 2 and get there, yeah, i want to kick the table over and drag them outside, but I say Nice Hand and move on to the next hand (which I think, table etiquette is super important, especially at "Someone" elses home game!)

But in the end, the desire to "Play Better" by putting in the effort, to lose to the hobbiest that doesn't care to get better, but just shoves, that does it for me...

Yes, I still study Yes, I continue to read up on strategy; i still approach the game with class and etiquette and I of course, still host a home game, which "Nate" frequents....

It's the love of the game, the strategy, the wins, the moves, the big hands that hold up, the tournaments we win, the extras we can afford because of all of this...that is why we play; that is why we CONTINUE to play despite all the rest

Good luck all, keep those emotions in check, and know that Nate make you look GREAT to your better half!!
Old 05-22-09, 09:08 AM

The rake.
Old 05-28-09, 03:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftart2003 View Post
I find myself beating myself up, because if i "were that good" I should be able to lay down the hand when I KNOW im beat, odds or not, or KNOW when to get out, or KNOW NOT to SHOVE all in, because NATE WILL CALL and GET THERE!! AHHH!!!
Laying down hands is, I think, the hardest thing to learn because you have to unearn behavior that you came to the table with - it isn't like memorizing odds or something.
Old 06-04-09, 06:14 PM

Things I hate the most! The things I love the most!

I hate everything about Poker!

I love everything about Poker!

It is the sickest game on Earth and I can not get enough of it.
Old 06-07-09, 12:05 AM

When you've played hours on end of solid play to break through a vast field of players, you've taken the bad beats in your stride and finally make it to the final table, each step in prizes is worth $100's or $1000's.....and suddenly the turd of doom comes from nowhere! You've got to make that crucial decision between missing ten hands and all the blind stealing opportunities and potential tournament winning hands or crappi!ng your pants like a toddler and go for gold! Here's my salute to anyone who has shat themself going for glory! Your not alone!
Old 06-10-09, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
When you've played hours on end of solid play to break through a vast field of players, you've taken the bad beats in your stride and finally make it to the final table, each step in prizes is worth $100's or $1000's.....and suddenly the turd of doom comes from nowhere! You've got to make that crucial decision between missing ten hands and all the blind stealing opportunities and potential tournament winning hands or crappi!ng your pants like a toddler and go for gold! Here's my salute to anyone who has shat themself going for glory! Your not alone!
I agree about the final table thing. In a big tournament, I feel like all of the play BEFORE the final table is basically a satellite TO the final table. And it sucks to get there and get immediately eliminated or get all cold cards.
Old 10-24-09, 01:21 PM

I play ,I think solid poker. I play in a league with freerolls Tu., Thurs., & Sats. & it brings out the DONKS FROM HELL. If you start playing like them in a points league, you let it drift into your subconsious. They you play a cash game & get the hell beat out of you. One key word is PATIENCE.
Old 10-27-09, 11:55 AM

True that. Patience is still the number 1 reason why winners win and gamblers lose! A lot has changed in the game in the last 6 years or so, but that one attribute stays key to victories.

It's SO easy to justify in your own mind that other players, who you recognize as being inferior, are the problem. When the truth is, 95% of the time you're not playing correctly against their particular style.

Learn the players and be aggressive with huge hands and WIN WIN WIN!

mike
Old 10-30-09, 02:17 AM

To me, at least sometime, it seems that I just can't get any better and that sucks. Could maybe anyone recommend me some books a beginner like me should read? Tried my luck with some of those [URL="http://www.pokertipsbook.com/"]poker online tips[/URL] but that didn't really help my game. I was thinking about ordering Hansen's book but not sure yet if it's worth it. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-31-09, 12:40 AM

I agree with Mike Patience is the key for winning any game. Any number of changes can come and go but if one has this trait the odds are in your favor.
Old 06-24-10, 10:19 PM

If they are a calling station who are likely to call down if they've hit anything, then obviously a C-bet is less effective there as well.