Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk

Notices

Old 06-30-10, 11:20 AM

This guy was furious! oh well

Late in a 25$ rebuy tourney, I got lucky in a hand. Blinds are 600 1200 ante of 50

Im BB with 6s 2s. 6 players at my table 12 left in tourney. The pre flop action starts fld fld limp fld call and I check.
flop
5s 8h 9c

check, check, check
turn
2s

I figure no one here has anything. I have a flush draw and a gutshot. I overbet 6,000 into a 4,000 pot. the limper raises me 12,000 on top. If I make the call and dont hit I still have another 15,000 or so to play with. If I hit the spade I get the pot plus I push and most likely get paid off. I put him on something like A 9, or maybe 2 pair.

river
Js

I push, he insta calls and turns over 6,7. He flopped the straight and slow played it. The implied odds of winning an extra 15,000 is why I called. I'd do it again even though everyone at the table said it was a bad play.
Old 06-30-10, 04:52 PM

You made a mistake in your post, you don't have 6s2s, you have 62 suited of some other suit, since the 2s is on board.

If "implied odds" were the reason you called, your call was wrong. You're calling 12,000 when you can only win another 15,000 on the next street. Odds are 5-1 against you hitting the flush, your implied odds are also nowhere near this. Also, you can't invest as much as you did and then fold the river with over half your stack in the pot (you'd have been forced to do so if you didn't flush the river). Fold the turn to the raise and move on.
Old 07-01-10, 10:42 AM

Yes it was a 3s on the board. I also had the gut shot as well. That gave me 12 outs going to the river. I think I was getting 4 to 1 on my money (If I hit the river and he calls the all in) If I miss the river I have to fold. I have 6 high. Easy fold.

I do appreciate the response though. I still think I did the right thing. I would have been left with 9 blinds or so. Not great but workable.
Old 07-02-10, 12:08 PM

Bad play on your part. You just got lucky. Odds were not right for you to call after turn. Also, you weren't on a flush draw after the flop. You don't say you're on a flush draw when you need runner runner of the same suit.

mike
Old 07-02-10, 06:06 PM

He didn't say he was on a flush draw after the flop; flop was checked around, at which point he comments on his picking up a flush draw.
Old 07-07-10, 09:59 AM

Yeah, but he also said he held the 2S and the turn was the 2S. Then he changed it to 3S. Bullshit story.

mike
Old 12-24-15, 06:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cypope
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkromer View Post
Yeah, but he also said he held the 2S and the turn was the 2S. Then he changed it to 3S. Bullshit story.

mike
I personally use 2s to mean deuce of spades & 62-s to mean suited. Not everyone does this -- his later post shows he typoed 2s for 3s on the turn.

Why would he make this up? Zero gain, unless he plays with you guys, & wants to convey "I'm a dummy"? But if he was, he'd be no dummy, & not make such an elementary error in describing the situation.
Old 07-07-10, 02:56 PM

Oh God. It isn't a bullshit story, the guy simply typo'ed. What would be the reason for faking this story, it's not even an interesting hand.
Old 06-19-11, 08:49 AM

Im folding to any resistance with this hand. No flush or draw chasing without some kind of hand for me. Its a 6 2s for gods sake. dont give your money away until you see me across from y ou. If im across from you and you overbet by that much im see you for what you are and im all in with anything higher than 33. On a bet like that with just limpers and callers, your telling me how totally afraid you are of the cards your holding, ie you cant win without a miracle. Start praying lol
Old 06-07-12, 01:47 PM

I like the bet on the turn, but not for that amount----why risk that high of a percentage of your stack there? Just a simple 50-65% of the pot bet would have been good enough to either take the pot there or find out where you were without you feeling committed.
Old 12-24-15, 06:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cypope
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSOP Club View Post
I like the bet on the turn, but not for that amount----why risk that high of a percentage of your stack there? Just a simple 50-65% of the pot bet would have been good enough to either take the pot there or find out where you were without you feeling committed.
"Pot committed" is a myth -- you shuold never feel committed to put more money into as pot you cannot win.
Old 07-09-12, 09:54 AM

NHpokerplayer1, you have to go back through this and see the mistakes. It will make you a better player. A better line (suggested by WSOP Club) would have been to bet 2500 on the turn. Then after he raised either folded or moved in depending on the opponent, stack sizes, money bubble and your read. Folding is probably the right play considering it is a 6 high flush draw and a gutshot. Our opponent could have many hands which crush us.

The way you played it I believe the pot is 4k + 6k + 6k + 12k = 28k / 12k to call = 2.3 to 1. You may have 12 outs so you are 3.8 to 1. Throwing in implied still has us a little short at 3.6 to 1. Let me know if my math is right