Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk

Notices

Old 09-06-04, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Do you think females are worse at poker?

Do you think females are worse at poker? Annie Duke and Jennifer Harman are celebrated as great female poker players, but after that the list gets real short real quick. The fact that there are much fewer women playing poker definitely has something to do with it but with increasing women entering the game there still aren't that many females finishing high in the money in the big tournaments.
Old 09-07-04, 08:45 AM

Mars v. Venus?

The question seems to apply only to the top rank of poker players. If so, men who hold and have held the major titles have a clear edge. But, if one considers the general run of players, that edge disappears , or at least fades.

Once upon a time I would have said women undoubtedly played worse than men. But today, with all of the information available, my experience tells me small difference, if any, exists.

Most poker players don't play well. Those that put the effort in do better and continue to improve. Upper body strength counts for naught in the game, so the skills of women have no inherent limit.

Cheers: Curmudgeon
Old 09-08-04, 07:57 AM

I think the reason me dominate now is the same reason a big high school or a popular college would have a better team. They have a bigger draw of people. Many men have been putting a vast amount of energy into being great at Poker, most of them fail and the cream rises to the top. Over the long term as more women put alot of time and energy into poker there will be enough of the women that "have it" rising to the top. I still think some of the stigma of being a professional poker player will keep some of the women that would be the best in the world out, because they are propbably really good at something else and I think women would have a tougher time saying "I don't care if all my friends and relatives think I'm crazy I'm quitting my 150K a year job and playing poker. I think a man might be a little more likely to say F them I'm doing what I want.
Old 09-14-04, 10:45 AM

Its like anything else its all relative. Some are worse some are better. there are alot of guys who are real duds as players that is for sure.
Old 09-17-04, 06:19 PM
Unregistered

i believe that the theory on women playing bad poker is close to the same theory that they can't drive.in my opinion there is a lot of women that cannot play just because nobody has taught them well, or lack of experience, which can be said for a man too. people just notice a women sitting at the table more and so they watch their play more, catching the mistakes. but at the same table they did not catch the 9 other people's mistakes nearly as much.some women can drive, some can't, some women can play poker, some can't, but they are all competing in a man's game.
Old 09-28-04, 02:17 PM
Unregistered (Chad)

Females better?

It depends. Women who aren't rookies bluff generally much more often than men. It makes them feel like they can throw down with the big boys. They don't want to be intimidated, so they do the intimidating. So are females better at poker? It depends on how conservative their opponents are.
Old 09-30-04, 05:12 PM
Unregistered

I Cant Trust Something That Bleeds For Three Days Every Month And Doesnt Die
Old 10-08-04, 11:52 AM

nope

I think women in general have the abilities to be vastly superior poker players then men. Poker is a game of controlling emotions at the table so you don't give anything away. Let's face it, us men (cough cough.. Hellmuth, Matasow.. cough cough) have a harder time dealing with emotions when it's all on the line.
Women also have a greater innate ability to accomplish several tasks at once. The example I've always heard in psychology class was talking on the phone, cooking dinner and taking care of the baby at the same time. In the poker world, that could translate to calculating pot odds, putting players on hands and evaluating her own hand at the same time.

If a woman and man of equal mental capacity were each taught to play poker the same way.. I would bet the woman would evantually become the better player. Take for example Annie Duke and brother Howard Lederer. Howard is one of the best players in the game today, but he's never knocked his sister out of a tournament, while she's done it to him 4 times now (granted the 4th time was a bad beat for Howard in the Tournament of Champions).

Last edited by RadioDave; 10-08-04 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 10:19 PM

i think the females have can have an edge, if they know the game and how to read people, they can perswade some men to play differently, mabye just calling when they should raise...
Old 11-03-04, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

Good looking women...

have the strongest power in the world. The power of pussy can influence all men's minds.
Old 11-04-04, 04:37 PM
Unregistered

Cool women in Poker

As a chick who is obsessed with poker and who has placed in the money in most of the tournaments I've been a part of lately (after much dedication, much practice and many hours of losing...) I have to say this, it's not so much about how I play as a woman as much as how men react/play to me. Men often give me no credit for a hand when I raise and I will be called or even re-raised with much more inferior hands than if a man had made a similar raise (a fold would occur if it was a man). Men are often thrown off when I flop the nuts and slow play -- like I was such a genius that I flopped Aces full of Kings and checked to the river until my opponent bet and I reraise all in... that people with crap hands still think it's not worth believing me is a miracle and a blessing...

The guys who I play with regularly know me and are always amused to watch the dynamics of the big bad bully man who is gonna try to steal my chips -- those guys are always the most gratifying to bust out!

Jen
Old 01-02-05, 01:33 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Grandma's cooking

Women were taught in the old days to be subservient to men. Take care of the baby, clean this, cook that, wash this, etc. That type of atmosphere pervaded almost anything women did, not just poker. Thats why there weren't any great female players. Couldn't be aggressive and strong and act freely in a man's world. Now, however, there is a new mindset based on equality for the sexes and we are seeing the women become stronger.
Guys, we're in trouble now!
Old 02-25-05, 03:21 PM
Phool

Women worse at poker>?? no way
I think women are just as good as us if not better.
I mean either way you look at it , it always comes down to the player not the gender, but from experience , the women i have played with have done very well.
My fiance takes my money everyweek!!
Old 02-27-05, 10:12 PM
Unregistered

was i right?

i am playing 1/2 no limit. i am bb and sb raises me 15$ we each have about 100$ in chips in front of us. i call in bb. flop comes Jc 10c 4c. he bets 20 i raise 20 he goes all in. i call. he has As Kd i have Qc and 9c. was i right?
Old 02-28-05, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

Of course

Why else would women have a separate tournament as I saw on TV recently?
At the same token if you come acros a female player she is less likely to be a fish, because women have to overcome the odd-one-out complex at a poker table. If they can do that they are dedicated to the game and better than the average Joe Schmo who thinks he has game.
Old 07-07-05, 05:46 PM
Branden

Some women can become good at poker but it's the simple truth that few have the competitive drive to really become a top player. Oh and girls suck at math.
Old 07-07-05, 06:02 PM
Unregistered

it really just matters who is smarter. so if a specific woman is smarter then a specific man, then she would be better in that case.
Old 12-03-06, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

Are you all joking?

the number of sports that a woman can compete with a man can be counted on one hand.
Why are there hardly ever any women on a tourny final table? Very rare, relatively. SO if women are as good as men - where is the evidence?

Maybe they get knocked out so quick because they have to get home to make their husband's dinner?
Old 12-15-06, 02:09 PM

I think it comes down to 2 things: aggression and ability to read other players.

On the aggression side, men generally have the advantage, but as with everything, there are definitely exceptions.

Ability to read others? Are you kidding? Women are much better at that. They see right through our acts when we're trying to get dates (and more), when we're lying to them (aka: bluffing), etc...

So bottom line: It all depends.
Old 12-31-06, 12:34 PM
Andrea

I think if you saw AS MANY women playing as men, the field would look a lot more equal. Also, in my opinion, women are more fiscally conservative than men. I love playing poker, and I'm decent at it (at least relative to the players in my home games and local tournaments, of course nowhere near pro level) but when push comes to shove, I'm not moving to Vegas to hone my skills. I have a mortgage to pay and my first baby is due in July, and shelling out more than $100 for a buy-in makes me cringe a little.

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 12-31-06 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-08, 08:18 AM

women have the advantage... we are better liars
Old 05-26-08, 01:59 PM

I don't think so. Jennifer Tilly is a great player too. What I think the problem is even though more and more women are playing. There are still way more men. Gotta be 10 to 1 men to women in my estimation. I think its harder for women to finish first because there are so few but I do not think they are worse poker players. Never mind the luck factor. Some are very very good.