Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 02-10-07, 07:23 AM

Another Question about Ethics

This Playing-the-Player forum doesn't get enough love.

Where do you guys stand on saying what you have while you're still in the hand?

I did this at an APL tourney, I said "I have Big Slick" a few times, and kept betting, and opp kept calling with TT when a K was onboard. Big slick won! She was so pisssed, she said next time I say what cards I have they go in the muck. I never heard of that. In fact I distinctly remember a bunch of stories (mostly from SuperSystem books) about exactly this kind of psych play.

I stopped doing it anyway, since it was perceived as rude there. At cash games with Molinero, this stuff was all part of the fun.
Old 02-11-07, 02:41 PM
Administrator

I've always joked around about what i have. As far as I know there is a rule forbidding talking about your hand. I never understood having a rule like this. The only thing I can understand is that if you told the table what you had for real then the person next to act has an advantage to act on the information first. In laid-back home games it is fun to do though - just make sure the people in the hand don't have a problem with it.

A similar question I have is whether or not it is OK to fold a hand when you have the opportunity to check? I do this sometimes when I play a completely crap just to mix it up and the flop is dangerous and there are many players after me to act. Many times I'll fold when I am first to act just because I want to be done with the hand. I do this in games where I don't care - like low-limit home games or whatever.

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 11-10-07 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-12-07, 05:38 AM

Another Question about Ethics

I started using a calculator of Poker Pro Labs it helped me a lot. Last time I played live (the Gutshot in London) if you declared your hand during play you were immediately taken out of the hand - didn't matter whether you were lying or not.
Old 11-09-07, 06:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to The Old Guy
It is poker etiquette not to "table talk" about your hand, whether in play or not. Some houses have a rule that if you say what your hand is, you have to muck it. If you talk about what you already mucked, that could affect the player(s) still in the hand. If a player would happen to need one of your cards for an out, he/she knows her chances are diminished.

As far as folding when you can check when UTG, that is your option. There are some sites that won/t let you do that. You either check or bet.
Old 05-02-08, 05:19 PM

As far as I know there are no rules against saying what you have during a hand. Alot of people talk and say stuff like that. Some do it to make other players off balance or psych them out. That lady was probably just pissed she appearantly didn't beleive you and lost the hand. Some also do it to get a read on other players as well.
Old 05-02-08, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomePokerGames Admin View Post
I've always joked around about what i have. As far as I know there is a rule forbidding talking about your hand. I never understood having a rule like this. The only thing I can understand is that if you told the table what you had for real then the person next to act has an advantage to act on the information first. In laid-back home games it is fun to do though - just make sure the people in the hand don't have a problem with it.

A similar question I have is whether or not it is OK to fold a hand when you have the opportunity to check? I do this sometimes when I play a completely crap just to mix it up and the flop is dangerous and there are many players after me to act. Many times I'll fold when I am first to act just because I want to be done with the hand. I do this in games where I don't care - like low-limit home games or whatever.
Nothing wrong with folding if you really want to. Don't know why somebody wouldn't want to see a free card though.