Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-05, 03:36 PM

Exclamation home game headaches

i play on average with 5-8 people and i seem to be a finallist in most of the games .but when i have just some beginners over to learn the game i always manage to get shut out this is confusing for me. can someone please advise me in a better direction
Old 03-05-05, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

Simple..You aren't playing your A game..
You are being friendly to your novice players..
Most home games are like that..
Old 03-06-05, 09:28 AM
Unregistered

I think when people know next to nothing they chase cards and get lucky.
Sometimes you also end up helping these people along and it does end up hurting you like the previous poster mentioned.
Old 03-06-05, 07:44 PM
Unregistered

O Hare Airport

Does anyone know of a club near the airport. I am in town one night this week and would be looking for a game
Old 03-07-05, 04:22 PM

Home game headaches

When you are playing with River Rats as we call them you have to be careful. I play very tight in our home tourney and I'm careful to whom I play against. If Im in the first 3 positions I will need a pair to limp in. It's tough I just lost a pot last night to a guy who called my 4x BB raise with J6 offsuit. He was big blind. He sucked out 2 pair to beat my queens. You just have to pick your hands and be patient.

Herb McCandless
[url]www.focusonpoker.com[/url]
Old 06-09-05, 10:36 AM

Like Playing Against A 10 Year Old.

I agree with Herb.

In these home games where the players aren't that experienced it can be very hard for a seasoned player to succeed. It's almost as if you need to remember how you used to play when you were a beginner - and battle against that mentality.

The easy way to do this is limit your starting hands. In early position only play: AA, KK, QQ, AKs, JJ, TT, AQs, AK. This will be extremely difficult as you see players winning pots with Jack High, but you can't lower yourself to that level and expect to succeed.

Also... always raise with a premier hand. No point in getting sucked out by a player who limped in on the small blind with 7-2.
Old 10-28-05, 05:33 PM

I agree with 5th street and others, that when you are playing with the newbs it's much harder to come out on top. To counter act it I have moved to a new model for the hoem games. Call a couple of hot chicks and let them know the the boose it free. Let them the girls get a little tipsy and tell them to make sure and pay attention to the proper individuals. The newbs will dump out of even the strong hand to focus on the girls. This brings the game up a couple of levels on two fronts. You'll never have a problem filling the seats at your game.