Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk

Notices

Old 04-23-10, 12:50 PM

Poker Books

I've played poker for quite a few years now. About a month ago, the home game that i've run for about a year and half began to break up, mostly because the people i play with are tired of me winning all the time (now, i'm not bragging, because i'm not really that good, rather the people i play with are really bad). I rely mostly on my ability to read people and not so much on math. However, recently, as i take on better competition, i'm losing more often, and i'm pretty sure my very average understanding (average at best) of the math and stats within the game are to blame. I went to a bookstore and checked out some of the books, but i couldn't decide on one. Can anyone recommend a book or website that i mostly play limit and no limit hold em, so these two would be my primary interest does a good job going over the basic ground level math and stats in poker? Like most people. But, i do like Omaha and Stud as well, hell feel free to mention a good book or web site for any game...........i love them all.

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 06-07-10 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 05:55 AM

You should read David Sklansky's The Theory Of poker, the rule of poker he stated is that the better the players and the smaller the pot, the more you disguise your hand when there are more cards to come. The worse the players and the larger the pot, the more you play your hand normally, without regard to giving anything away. What a great conceptions of poker. I learned a lot from these...
Old 06-10-10, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderAlex View Post
Can anyone recommend a book or website that i mostly play limit and no limit hold em, so these two would be my primary interest does a good job going over the basic ground level math and stats in poker?
Many players had a big frustration about this game. One reason why they begin liking is because of the great money deal that you received from winning. I guess you are just like them. Aren't you? Here is a good reading book about No-limit hold 'em, "Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I", it was written by Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta, and Ed Miller.

Old 06-22-10, 10:58 PM

Try this books:
1. Advanced Limit Holdem Strategy - Middle and upper limit hold'em games. For Beginners and Advanced Players.
2. Harrington on Holdem Vol.1 - up to vol. 2 - Early phases of No Limit Holdem Tournaments. For Beginners and Advanced Players.
3. Holdem Poker for Advanced Players - All types of holdem poker. For Advanced players.

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 06-02-14 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-23-10, 06:29 AM

You can also add these to your list:[url]http://www.pokergurus.com/Scripts/default.asp[/url]

These books covering such topics as tournament poker, sit ’n go and go strategies, limit and no-limit hold ‘em, seven-card stud, pot-limit Omaha, general poker theory, general gambling theory and other topics.
Old 07-01-10, 11:07 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned Super Systems by Doyle Brunson. Gus Hansen has a book discussing every hand he had in the Australian open that he won a few years ago. That was a good read. That one taught me that there are many different styles of play that will work.