Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 02-24-12, 11:58 PM

home game safety

Hello, first time poster here. You guys might laugh at this question but I was wondering how safe it is to go to a random home game listed on this website. I am only 18 years old and have only really gambled online and with friends and family. Any advice you could give me would be really appreciated.
Old 04-18-12, 07:48 AM

Just make sure you converse with the host. 99.9% of listings are legit friendly games. Don't be a douchebag and things should turn out fine. Bring just enough money to buy in and put any extra in your shoe. If possible try and bring a friend or at least let people know where you're headed. Good luck.
Old 05-06-12, 12:54 PM

Yea, you could run into a psycho who will you you up and bury you in the garage.

Contact the person running the game and start a dialog. When someone contacts me because they saw my game on a site I will ask them some questions and learn a little about them. I'll be honest with them as to if I think they will fit into our game or not. Not everybody is a good fit. For instance, I don't like players under 21 because I feature an open bar at my game.
Old 05-27-12, 09:28 PM

Good advice so far! DIALOGUE is key. Like Bluegarage says, not everyone is a good fit. This dialogue goes both ways---as someone thinking about joining a group, YOU should ask questions, try to get a feel for the crowd. As someone who runs two different monthly leagues, I ask a lot of questions, and try to get a good feel for a player to see if I will actually invite him/her. In contrast, we allow drinking, but only in moderation, and most players don't even drink while playing. Every crowd is different. I love the idea of bringing a friend the first time, and don't be a loudmouth! Good luck.