Old 09-19-04, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Hellmuth quote

"I guess if there were no luck involved I would win every time"
Cocky mofo.
Old 09-19-04, 04:06 PM

An answer to Hellmuth

How about this reply to "Mr. Personality":

"We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?"

Jean Cocteau

Cheers: Curmudgeon
Old 10-15-04, 12:58 PM
Chad

Although he is a dick, he is a very good player. He would not win every time, but he would do quite well.
Old 01-31-05, 09:43 AM
Chad

That's actually ironic. I saw him outdraw an opponent on an all in to win the other day on the travel channel.
Old 02-14-05, 01:40 PM
Suited Ace

Phil Hellmuth

If there was no luck involved....Phil Hellmuth might not win everytime...but he'd win most of the time. The guy is an arrogant prick...however, I think that his arrogance is what makes him great. Second place is not good enough for him...he holds himself to the highest standards at all times. If you read this and you follow poker...I mean REALLY follow poker...not just ESPN, then you will know that NOBODY and I mean NOBODY gets sucked out on as much as Hellmuth. he could easily have 13-15 bracelets by now if it weren't for luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
That's actually ironic. I saw him outdraw an opponent on an all in to win the other day on the travel channel.
Old 03-14-05, 06:37 PM
Unregistered

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard...that's like saying, if it wasn't for the hoop being 10 feet high, everyone would dunk a basketball. I could sit around for AA all day, and say, no one should beat me...You my friend are a moron
Old 05-07-07, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suited Ace View Post
If there was no luck involved....Phil Hellmuth might not win everytime...but he'd win most of the time. The guy is an arrogant prick...however, I think that his arrogance is what makes him great. Second place is not good enough for him...he holds himself to the highest standards at all times. If you read this and you follow poker...I mean REALLY follow poker...not just ESPN, then you will know that NOBODY and I mean NOBODY gets sucked out on as much as Hellmuth. he could easily have 13-15 bracelets by now if it weren't for luck.
I totally agree. I've seen have such bad luck being like this close to getting another bracelet. I think by 2015 or sometime in the future, he will have amassed more bracelets than anyone ever will (all he needs is 1 more to have the most ever).
Old 12-21-06, 04:10 AM

I like my saying better
Old 08-03-08, 05:17 PM

I can dodge bullets, baby.
Old 08-12-09, 03:00 PM

Hellmuth, NOT the Poker Brat but the Poker Whiner...

I am so tired of Hellmuth's constant whining how some " idiot " beat him in a hand or knocked him out of a tournament. He reminds me of my girlfriend who continually whines or complains about something & I have to TRY to verbally bring her back to Earth by using logic and not emotion as she does.

I admire Hellmuth for his accomplishments in poker, but his internal arrogance makes him reckless at times and makes him lose hands he should have folded.

Of course, seeing him on tv may not give an accurate portrayal of how he actually plays in the real world. I don't think he is the best player in the world on a one to one basis as he only wins at hold em and there are more serious players who would intimidate me without saying a word, like Phil Ivey, the other black player who won a WSOP tourney while having the flu...David...I can't remember his name and Marcel Lusk, as an example.

His public persona as " poker brat " is also his worst enemy. The younger non -pros and internet players now gun for him like gunfighters trying to make a name for himself by trying to take out John Wayne. And even other pros go out of their way to either take him out or get him to lose his temper.

It would be fun to see someone make a satirical video of a typical Hellmuth rant, like if I'd only had more mayonnaise on my chicken sandwich for lunch, I 'd have made the final table, or Phil ordering dinner or getting service at a store and calling everyone idiots, even the chicken.

I've read his books and have his videos but Phil is unique but unique does not always mean good.

Of course, being a relative newbie, I could be wrong. However, I equate the skill portion of poker to what I do when I play a wargame or Civilization. I analyse MY position, see what I can do to take out the enemy player and then move on to destroy that player. Sun Tsu's commentaries could well be used to help one win poker as he sought out weaknesses in his own armies and made them strengths.

Even so, if I ever did face him heads up and beat him, I'd invite him out for dinner or a beer, but he doesn't take defeat well. Unless his whining is some kind of really weird strategy. IF so, it isn't working because it makes him a figure of ridicule.

IMHO

George

Last edited by Falkie2008; 08-12-09 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-22-09, 03:37 PM

Don’t be so simple minded. You think he goes on those rants just for fun. It’s also strategic, not only for tournament play but also for marketing himself.

Imagine you are in a tournament and you got Phil at your table and he raises and you are sitting there with a marginal hand. A lot of players will lay down the hand just so they don’t have to be criticized later for playing the hand. Phil can steal blinds all day because of that.

I believe his persona is genuine but he tends to over do it because he knows the more attention he gets for himself the more value he has to his current and future sponsors. He makes millions off the attention he gets.
Old 10-30-09, 02:11 AM

I know and I really can't stand him as a person but he is a really good tournament player in the end because "he can dodge bullets, baby!"
Old 06-16-10, 04:49 AM

"Let me complain, it's good for television." -Phil Heelmuth

Looks like its effective on and off the camera due to his attitude, his poker brat makes a spice in the poker tournament.