Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk

Notices

Old 04-12-05, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

does this sound legit? i wanna try it

hey go check this out then tell me what you think. i got invited while i was playing at ps. guy comes up in chat and asks me if im serious about my game said he was watching me play then he sends me to this site for some poker team. im not suppose to say anything but wtf cause im not using my name here anyway so they wont know it was me. so tell me if you think its legit cause it sounds pretty good but ive never even heard of anything like it. i mean i think poker teams are real but damn this sounds pretty big. i dont know why there using a geocities site tho unless they just dont want people knowing there real site or something cause they act all secretive.

[url]www.geocities.com/ipa05recruiting[/url]

tell me if you think its possible to do everything they say cause i got the money and i think if this works it would rock but i dont know if im even good enough. plus do you think they really have teams like this?
Old 04-12-05, 12:00 PM
Unregistered

Scam

If by "legit" you mean a legitimate scam, then yes. This has "scam" written all over it with "pyramid scheme" as a subtitel. Really, why would you willingly give away 50% of your profit if you are a winning player??? A "real" poker team does not have to be "secret".... You will kiss that $625 goodbye.
Old 04-12-05, 12:52 PM
Unregistered

I disagree I think its real

I think its real and I think it makes sense. I dont think its a pyramid scheme because there not promising you specific money and if you look at the profit sharing explanation it makes sense. When you look at the 50% winnings plus the profit sharing your making more than 50% for starters, and when you figure your losses are covered then your not giving anything away at all. I think in the long run your definately making money. And i think the combined bankroll makes a lot of sense too because it covers you for playing higher stakes games that you might not be able to play if you didnt combine your bankroll. And if they really do teach you to be a better player its worth the $125.

If you look at all of the stuff they talk about its not just made up as a scam. Things like the o-book thing they wouldnt even bother with saying if it was just a scam.

I dont know if someone would make a lot of money doing it but playing with protection without having to worry about losing your stake all the time I think is worth it and if you do get good enough to move up you could probably make a lot more. And if your learning better poker as you go then you could start kicking ass when you reach the higher stakes. I think thats worth it right there.

One thing is if there real I wonder if there in a lot of games because if you look at it you can see where you could lose money to them if your at there table. I mean if you really suck your going to lose anyway but what if your just average or maybe a little better and your playing against three or four people that are better than you and they dont even worry about losing so they can play super aggressive. It would be kindof like sitting down at that table in Rounders when there all in Atlantic City. You wouldnt even know what hit you.

It makes sense to me that there secretive too. If I was playing on a team I wouldnt want anyone to know about it. People bitch enough as it is about all the reasons why there losing. I wouldnt give them another reason to cry.

If they invited me I would do it. I wonder if they even know who they invited or not or if they would just let someone come in even if there not invited?
Old 04-12-05, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

Ponzy Scam ... Maybe. But the reality is you put up the money and hope for the best. So you have a bankroll. You start with 650.00. 500.00 goes into the " other " players account. At least that is the way I am reading it. You will be bankrolled on the assumption that someone else will put up 650.00 dollars. Notice they said that it could take a while to assemble the " teams" .You are not playing with your money. You willl be playing with the assumption that someone else comes in to build a team. Those teams may never come to be assembled. So the recruiting process is not based upon them assembling an " elite " team, it is based upon them being able to find some other player to ante up 650.00 dollars. So they are always one a head and that one a head sounds good until the you can't find anymore recruits. It will always fail and someone is left out. Usually alot of folks get creamed. Ponzy scams are illegal and this could fall right into that category. BTW, let's say you have 4 members of your " elite " team. What if you all have a bad day which is not unusual. Then tomorrow the same. Your bankroll could be gone fast. Trust me. I am pretty good...but have seen my bankroll fluctuate between 2500.00 down to 150.00 in a span of a week. That is playing both live and online. Several bad beats will do that to you. DOn't feel bad though, I am back up to 1350.00 I would not recommend this to anyone. You can't win here. Sounds to good to be true and trust me in the gambling circles, anything that is a can't miss proposition is one you should miss. Be warned.
Old 04-13-05, 10:25 AM
Iceman37

It's legitimate.

It's also one of the more clever approaches to team play that I've ever seen.

And it's not a "Ponzi" or a "pyramid" scheme. The idea behind a Ponzi scheme is paying an "earlier" person in using a "later" person's contribution to the plan. Yes, that is illegal.

This arrangement isn't "paying" anyone. In fact there's no guarantee you are going to make money, or even that you're going to be kept on the team (they say that further into the explanation). What they are saying is they're going to combine the bankroll of a team, distribute a portion of it to play on, hold a portion of it in reserve to protect against losses, and then split the profits while covering the losses. This is not uncommon at all--this is how poker teams work. The thing that I see that is rather unique about this arrangement is the way they distribute excess profit among all the members of their organization. Most poker teams never grow beyond five or six players, so they never have to deal with "excess profit". They just divy up what they win as they go. This plan looks pretty ambitious, as if they're managing a number of teams and then distributing overages among ALL the players in their corral. I rather like the idea.

I also agree that if they're going to provide training while you're playing for them, then between your increased knowledge and the protection of a team (any team offers protection--that's why you play team poker to begin with) you're only going to "lose" if you--and your teammates--are just atrocious players. By playing multiple people at the same table, they're just increasing their odds pretty dramatically in that at least if you lose a hand, one of your teammates is potentially winning it. This is something that most poker teams DON'T do. Most teams assemble four or five players and they play at different times than one another, to essentially "keep the bankroll in play" at all times. This outfit seems to do that too, just with multiple players at the same table and multiple mini-teams in play at different times.

I don't personally like the payout breakdown (I probably would rather have more immediate payout and grow the bankroll more slowly) but it looks like their goal is to move players into higher stakes a bit more quickly, so their approach concentrates on growing the bankroll rather than immediate profit. I don't really have a problem with this because the higher stakes a good player plays for, the more he's going to make...and another reason for playing a combined bankroll is to allow players to play stakes they otherwise couldn't "afford" to play in the first place.

Here's the thing, and this applies to this or any other "team" approach. If you're a good, solid, WINNING player--don't piss around with a team. That's pretty simple. You have your bankroll, you're making money, and the money is all yours. No reason to share, and no need to be protected because you're a consistently winning player.

If you're NOT a consistently winning player--or you are, but you don't have the bankroll necessary to win "good" money by playing higher stakes--or you can't handle the "risk" without some feeling of protection--or you win but you can't play more than a few hours a week, but you want to have your money in "action" more often--or you just like the idea of more than one of you--then a team isn't a bad approach at all. And as teams go, I think this one is pretty well thought out.

I definitely don't think it's a scam though. Too many things in their presentation are too well thought out--and right on the money, I might add. The approach may be a little dubious, but I imagine that has more to do with them not wanting to draw attention to themselves for one thing, and also the whole "hand-picked" players thing. They're not "hand-picking" pros, because a playing pro who's making money would have no reason to join. They're hand-picking people who are playing at a lesser level now, in the hopes that they can teach them enough to play profitably (with team protection) in order to grow bankroll and grow INTO a stronger player.

In other words, I wouldn't feel like Chris Ferguson because they "picked me". I'd just look at it that they think I have the potential to earn, and they think they can make me even better.

And I would almost guarantee they would take ANY player who wants to give it a shot, invited or not. This is online poker, after all. A monkey can be trained to play this game and win, if he's willing to learn. A team of monkeys properly trained could make A LOT of money doing this.

This is actually a pretty good idea. Wish I had thought of it.

If you think it's a scam but you'd like to try it to find out, tell them you'll hold on to your portion of the bankroll, thank you very much...but you're willing to pay their $125 and let them handle the math. This way, you're only out $125 if it's a scam. Remind them that it really doesn't matter WHERE the money is stored, so long as it's there and you're willing to move it when necessary to "cover" losses or pay off wins. Then, if they agree, hold up your end of the bargain. Play honestly, move the money honestly when that is necessary, and let them just do the "accounting". If they're a legit organization, they'll probably go for that. Once you see if they're treating you fairly and honestly, you can adjust as necessary. But honesty and trust in that situation would have to be a two way street. Don't question the integrity of the team and then turn around and be dishonest yourself.

If you approach them with this and they say no, tell them to screw themselves. If they say yes, you have a shot at a pretty good opportunity with only a little bit risked. In poker we call that "having the best of it".

That's my opinion, anyway. I might approach them in this way myself. If I do (and they don't go all CIA on me demanding my silence) maybe I'll come back and tell everyone...then you'll know.

Won't be for a while yet, though. I've got too many irons in the fire as it is.
Old 04-13-05, 11:13 AM

Thumbs down

Have fun getting scammed... looks like they found the right sucker to scam and it also sounds like they should recruit some other suckers from this forum.
Old 04-13-05, 06:00 PM
Oregon player

Smile No Way

This is such a scam. A good one, but a scam. Anytime someone in an organization gets paid in a downline, expecially after they "retire" you got a scam going on. Save your money.
Old 04-14-05, 02:10 PM
Unregistered

taken from last page:

>>>Then in the body of the email, send us your choice for a USERNAME (this can be anything you choose, followed by a random three digit number) and a PASSWORD (this can be anything you choose).

Don't lose this information! You'll use it to access the IPA database including the Alliance-wide "O-book".

<B>NOTE: The IPA database is currently undergoing renovation and may not be available immediately.</B>

Once we've received your email, you'll be sent further instructions...<<<

sounds like a scam... notice that the "database is currently undergoing renovation"

good luck
Old 04-15-05, 02:13 PM
Unregistered

connection

I may be reading too much into this and if so my apologies. But as I read the proposal for the team poke and in seeing that it is IPA or Icehouse Poker Alliance and the only one posting that is in favor of this is "Iceman" i am getting suspicious.

"tounge planted firmly in cheek"
~
Old 04-15-05, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
hey go check this out then tell me what you think. i got invited while i was playing at ps. guy comes up in chat and asks me if im serious about my game said he was watching me play then he sends me to this site for some poker team. im not suppose to say anything but wtf cause im not using my name here anyway so they wont know it was me. so tell me if you think its legit cause it sounds pretty good but ive never even heard of anything like it. i mean i think poker teams are real but damn this sounds pretty big. i dont know why there using a geocities site tho unless they just dont want people knowing there real site or something cause they act all secretive.

[url]www.geocities.com/ipa05recruiting[/url]

tell me if you think its possible to do everything they say cause i got the money and i think if this works it would rock but i dont know if im even good enough. plus do you think they really have teams like this?
It sounds like bs. Even if it IS somehow legit, it sounds like they are plotting collusion in the long run, and it is a form of cheating.
Old 04-18-05, 01:50 PM

Come on man you cant be seriously considering this. I will say this though its this kind of crap that keeps me away from internet poker. I just glad i live near a legit poker room and have a steady ring game with friends. Internet poker is full of crap like this and assistance programs and ppl chatting away on messenger programs. GL.
Old 04-19-05, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

BTW, the internet poker sites can and will find collusion going on. They do monitor how many players play together day in and day out. So if the folks offering this scheme overcome this by changing your name somehow or using some other form of capturing a different IP Address, then you know it is cheating and if I catch you doing this to me...well...let's just hope it doesn't happen. Gambling is already full of cheats which destroys the reputation of the " honest " gamblers. Don't do it. You will get ripped off and possibly jail time or a lawsuit from the Internet site. Just remember I said you, because the folks putting this together probably have some outs. Just be warned.
Old 04-19-05, 01:59 PM
Iceman37

Playing as a team isn't cheating, and it isn't colluding (and a good thing too, or a lot of professional poker players would be out of business). It's colluding if they communicate their holdings to one another, or fix the betting between themselves, etc. But having several players who are known to one another playing at the same table isn't on it's face collusion. It's the same as a bunch of friends gathering around the poker table to play...just that they divy up the money between them at the end of the night. That's been going on since the dawn of the game, and if you think you've never been involved against some of these teams then you're either not very experienced or you're exceedingly naive. I would bet that as many as a third of the people making their living at this game do it either as part of an organized team, or as part of a pair of rounders who are constantly staking one another to get in and stay in the game. Unfortunately there are definitely those who would use this tactic to cheat (ala "Worm" and our favorite hero "Mike" from the movie, who did it quite effectively)...but there are many who don't. They just absorb each other's wins and losses to enable them to play with more protection.

Believe me, if I found anyone "fixing" a game, communicating their holdings, using a bot or any of the other crap that (unfortunately, a LOT of) people do to cheat (especially these days) I'd be the first one to get the rope and scout out a good sturdy tree. But poker teams are a fact of life (same with blackjack). I have no problems whatsoever with that, if they play with honor.
Old 04-20-05, 01:44 PM
Unregistered

Agreed, sitting down together at a table does not mean " collusion " is taking place. However, the internet sites do monitor the unusual activites happening at the tables. Any complaint concerning cheating is forwarded to the site owner and then investigated. Team play in and of itself is not " cheating " . The folks that are putting this together said that you will be working the same table to reap more of a profit from the unsuspecting. I just think it leaves itself open to the possiblity of cheats and anyone who is a part of this will regret it in the long run. Yoiu are in a no win situation here.

Definition of Collusion: Collusion is an agreement between parties to refrain in participating in an activity that they normally would in order to reduce competition and gain higher profits.
Old 04-20-05, 02:04 PM
Unregistered

no they said you would be playing at the same table against the untalented. they didnt say anything about unsuspecting and they said they wouldnt be working together. there thinking is they would be better players so having a couple of them on the same table increases the odds in there favor. they clearly say there wont be any cheating tolerated.
Old 04-21-05, 12:41 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation It's a well disguised Ponzi

Those "retired" professionals who share in the "profits" for life . . . they will include, with certainty, the founders. You know, the top names in that get-rich-now chain letter? Sorry, this has scam written all over it.
Old 04-23-05, 09:34 AM
Unregistered

are you stupid

If you don't think this is a scam, then I have some land on the moon that I would like to sell you.
Old 04-23-05, 09:36 AM
Unregistered

Sucker born every minute

Did you notice that the longest reply to this thread was in favore of this scam and written by the Iceman........I think there is a sucker born every second.
Old 04-24-05, 08:37 AM
Iceman37

Did you notice, too, how strikingly similar the writing style is? And that whole "Icehouse Poker Alliance" thing...Icehouse, Iceman...hmmm....

Almost makes you wonder if I'm involved somehow, doesn't it?

But then if I was, it wouldn't likely be a scam now would it, seeing as how I'm a pretty well known quantity...

Did you notice too that if you cross-reference my posts on this board, that I say with certainty that you can make a living playing poker online? Did I mention that's exactly what I do? Did you notice that when it comes to this game I'm generally considered to "have a clue", and chances are I do pretty well? Did you happen to take note of my unwavering commitment to integrity, and the furtherance of the game and betterment of its players? Really makes you think now, doesn't it? If this was a "scam", would Iceman be involved?

IS Iceman involved?

Man...now you've got a bit of a conundrum, don't you...?

(And incidentally, and for the last time, this isn't a "Ponzi" scheme in any way. People "up the chain" earn from the EARNINGS of everyone else, just the way everyone else involved in the organization earns from everyone else, not from the financial contributions of people entering the group. A Ponzi scheme pays the first people in with money collected from the last people in. These are two totally unrelated--and frankly, not even similar--concepts. Either read the information presented a little bit more closely, or know what you're talking about before you start throwing terms about willy-nilly.)
Old 04-27-05, 07:31 AM

Hey Iceman if you're already making a living playing internet poker and so "clued in" why would you need to surround yourself with other "professionals" to pad your pockets. Just play the damn game. I cant believe this scam is getting consideration by some of you....shame.
Old 04-28-05, 08:06 AM

Shamus, your opinion doesn't count.

You insist it's possible to have two sets of quads in the same hold'em hand, proving that you're incapable of rational thought (and simple math). Therefore your opinion, while valid in your own mind, will no doubt be disregarded as the mindless ramblings of a below-average thinker.

Below-average player too, I should think.
Old 04-28-05, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

can't have two sets of quads?

A friend of mine played in a casino, held pocket 6s. Flop was 9 6 6. He hit his quads, while his opponent had pocket 9s. They went all in, and J 9 came off on the turn and river. By my math, that's quad 9s and quad 6s in the same hand. Apparently this is impossible though, can you explain why not?
Old 04-28-05, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

One player can't have two quads as Shamus said on a different thread. Two players (no more) obviously can.

I agree with Shamus though that it has all the characteristics of a scam.
Old 04-28-05, 04:15 PM

What Shamus keeps claiming...

...in a different thread is that he, personally, had BOTH four sevens AND four nines in the same hold'em hand (not two different people...he himself alone).

What he can certainly NOT claim is that he has a math degree. Or common sense, for that matter.
Old 04-28-05, 09:42 PM
Charlie Fu

Since when is poker a team game...

If 3 people decide to split their winnings with each other they don't become cheats they become communists.
Old 04-30-05, 08:28 AM

Iceman may not be part of this poker team, and he may be very good at poker indeed. But this is DEFINITELY a scam. Nobody go near the site.