HomePokerGames Poker Forum

HomePokerGames Poker Forum (http://www.homepokergames.com/vbforum/index.php)
-   COMMENTS (http://www.homepokergames.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   POKER INFO - PROILE - Robert Varkonyi (http://www.homepokergames.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=37165)

Randy Lilley 10-29-04 06:00 PM

You HAVE to be lucky to win the WSOP and Robert played a helluva tournament. I remember it, because it was the event to get me into the sport. Varkonyi might not be among the current greats, but he deserves to get a little respect. He won $2 million, and we mock him. Something doesn't seem right.

Nightwolf 11-06-04 06:00 PM

RV is a horrible player. He plays like an amatuer, and never should have won the WSOP 2002. As for the hand that he was knocked out on in 2003 against Scotty Nguyen, what I don't understand is how Varkonyi got so low of a stack in the first place. He was forced all-in with the kings, because his bad playing gave him a low stack. His plays just seemed to have no logic or merit to them. I mean why raise Scotty (very aggressive player) with nothing? There wasn't any serious money in that pot.Besides, if he's so great - why have a poker coach?

slvsc2 11-16-04 06:00 PM

He sold his soul to his devil to win the WSOP. Beyond that, this guy is a hack. His 2003 WSOP was embarassing. He was more interested in showing off his engraved bracelet and poker coach then in focusing on the game. He's a joke.

Aces high 23 11-17-04 06:00 PM

people were talking about folding pocket kings before the flop and how crzy that is..but if u all remember phil hellmuth made an excellent lay down and folded pocket KK's at wsop 04 and he one of the best players to ever play the game.

hey 11-18-04 06:00 PM

i beat you in 97

brill 11-23-04 06:00 PM

problems happen when your favorite hand is Queen 10. probably wouldn't see him placing in a tourney any time soon

some guy 12-01-04 06:00 PM

come on man, i've seen you and on too many pots i see you win, i wonder what even compelled you to stay and how what kind of bs are you pulling to have gotten so lucky. at least be consistent when you play, you betting is so random, its as if you cards change every 5 second

Unregistered 12-01-04 06:00 PM

I can't believe all of you people. I just watched the re-run of the final table where he won and I was amazed. First of all I was amazed of the cards he got and the luck that he got but I do not fault him for that anybody at that table wished he got the cards that Robert got. This whole site can be ridiculous, all these people putting in the 2 cents about these players thinking they are the masters and understand poker completly. How can anyone say that he is a horrible player, a horrible player is someone who does not even know what beats what not Robert. True he may not be the best but how decides who's the best???? He had to do a lot of things right to even make it to the final table. You guys see the final table and make judgements on his play. None of you who posted here I doubt ever made a final table certainly not at the WSOP. Until you do, you can't make a judgement on how a final table for that much money should be played. He obviously did the right thing to win. Luck or no luck he made good choices...kudos to you Robert!

Unregistered 12-07-04 06:00 PM

robert is the worst world champion ever

Chad 12-07-04 06:00 PM

Everybody say the same old crap about every one who wins the WSOP main event. About sick of hearing it, personally.

mje 12-11-04 06:00 PM

Luck plays a major role in winning any tournament. Varkhoni played well but it is hard to argue that he may be the least talented WSOP champion ever. To my knowledge he has not survived day 1 of the tournament since. He "knew" Scotty Nguyen had pocket Aces in 2003 but called anyway with his pocket kings. I understand this is a "hard hand to get away from" but if you "know" you are beaten, lay the hand down no matter WHAT you have. Moneymaker and Raymer got very lucky but they are legitate pros. Anyone can win the WSOP and this amateur proved that. More power to him but I'd be pretty shocked to see him at a final table again.

greek 12-11-04 06:00 PM

i've seen this guy play on many occasions and he is a solid player...i've never wasted my time to post on this site but you dipshits out there that are criticizing him are just a bunch of wannabees that have no clue what talent is...i felt the need to share this with you (assuming you can read and didn't dictate your message to your mommy and have her type it in for you)...

Varphony 12-19-04 06:00 PM

I'll win next years WSOP!!! I promise!!!!

sammy the brick 12-19-04 06:00 PM

one of the few players I would fear going heads up against. But if Ive got a brick in my pocket then I can take him out.

pocket7s 12-22-04 06:00 PM

I love watching him win the 2002 WSOP main event. The way he does the thumbs up when he wins..... orgasmic.And his column in cardplayer magazine is riviting.Sammy the brick you can give me head anytime.

VarkFAGy 12-27-04 06:00 PM

What. A. DORK. Biggest nerd in poker. EVER.

wolfy14 01-05-05 06:00 PM

worst player to ever in big, worst person to ever play poker with, how can people put up with that guy?

cognito20 01-05-05 06:00 PM

With the possible exception of Hal Fowler in 1979 (when the field was much smaller), by far the worst player ever to win the WSOP Main Event. I honestly don't think that even $5-10 players in a typical ring game would have much to fear from this guy. His win in 2002 was perhaps the longest example of sustained ass-luck in the history of poker. He had won nothing before his WSOP win, and has won and will win nothing of major consequence since then. If it wasn't for the $2 million influx to his bankroll, he probably would not even be able to survive as a professional poker player fulltime (yes, I realize LOTS of people can't do that, but you would think a "World Champion" could - yet one more reason why the World Championship of Poker needs to be decided by something other than one no-limit hold 'em tournament).

taylor hawkins 01-07-05 06:00 PM

He is better than any of the wannabes who post on this site.You need more than luck to win the WSOP main event.You also need more than $5 in your daddys pokerstars account.

ugh 01-07-05 06:00 PM

When he talks he sounds like the biggest fruit alive. "I expect you to take my chips and be successful with them, har har, derrrrrr."

cognito20 01-11-05 06:00 PM

Um, Mr. Hawkins, no. He is not better than any of the people who post on this site. When I said he'd have trouble beating a $5-10 game, I completely meant it. Varkonyi for 5 days in 2002 was the luckiest poker player on the face of the Earth. His "skill", if you can call it that, was an amazing knack for avoiding hands where he could have been outplayed by a more skilled player (read: "just about anyone in the room").He made the vast majority of his chips on hands where he had the mortal nuts or improbable draws to the mortal nuts that he (in many cases improperly) drew to and hit, which is the only reason he won that tournament. As T.J. Cloutier said in his book (referring to Hal Fowler hitting about 5 or 6 inside straights head-up at the final table in 1979 against Bobby Hoff), "You could have played as good as God can play, and you couldn't have won those pots." Robert Varkonyi was hit over the head with the deck harder than perhaps any man in the history of high-stakes tournament poker in 2002, which is the only reason his simpering mug is up on the wall at Binion's. He has not even finished -in the money- in any tournament of any decent stake since then, much less won one. He is the only "world champion" who I would not fear, or even be apprehensive about, seeing come into my normal $10-20 game at Turning Stone.

Unregistered 01-15-05 06:00 PM

give the guy a break. Robert, congrads on your win 2002 your a gentleman and a good player.

bencole32 01-16-05 06:00 PM

Ive watched the 2002 wsop final table many times and its true Robert did catch a lot of premium hands but he played them perfectly. In order to win a big tournament you have to play well and catch cards and Robert did both. But never once with all that money on the line did you see Robert crumble under the pressure he showed that he is a champion. Even Phil Helmuth said that he was surprised how well Robert played. He is also a very nice person and deserves the title he won. Congradulations Robert hope to see you at many more final tables. You're the man.

ACSCashMoney 01-16-05 06:00 PM

Cognito, it appears from your two posts that you have some excessive animosity towards Robert Varkonyi. Claiming someone is not the world's best player is one thing, but you're taking it to the extreme. As for the commentary in your posts themselves, I won't touch the assertion that Varkonyi is worse than every single person on this board, other than to say that this board is likely made up of, at minimum, 20% 16 year olds who have yet to play for more than $5 outside their kitchen table. You may be right, he may be the worst champion ever, and worse than many in the field, but it's ludicrous to claim to someone for 60 HOURS got cards that made it impossible to lose. It takes skill to beat out 600 some odd other player, you may get lucky a few times when you have a ton of chips, but he put himself into a position to GET those chips in the first place. The bottom line is, he won by a combination of playing well and utilizing good cards when he did get them. However, my post is not even concerning the man's play. My question to you, Cognito, is why don't you enter a World Series event, or a WPT event, or even a decent sized MTT at Foxwoods or in AC, both of which are within a few hours of Turning Stone? If you play regularly at 10-20 as you claim, your bankroll should be well more than it would take to enter even a smaller event at the WSOP, say, the 5000 or 3000 buy in. If someone as bad as RV can win, then perhaps you should take a shot at it to back up your abusive post, no?

iveyfan05 01-21-05 06:00 PM

rv was the luckiest player in the world in 02 ...agreed....but hard to say that about a tourney that lasted more than 1 day....is he a great player....no....hes a good player that got lucky.....sometimes thats all you need....he has the braclet ....we dont....until then...we have very little room to talk

cognito20 01-26-05 06:00 PM

Well, Adam, perhaps you shouldn't be quite so presumptuous as to assume that I -HAVEN'T- participated in any of the tournaments you describe. In fact, I just recently returned from the Bahamas where I placed 52nd in the WPT no-limit event there, which I qualified for by finishing second in a satellite at PokerStars. I also won the May 2003 7-Card Stud Hi-Lo Split tournament at Turning Stone, have made 4 final tables at limit Hold 'Em and 7-Card Stud tournaments at the same venue, and have won at least one multi-table buy-in tournament $10 or above at PokerStars in -every- format of poker they offer -except- Omaha High and No-Limit Hold 'Em. So your tacit assumption that I am one of the 16-year-olds that you mentioned who play for $5 is, to be blunt about it, flat fucking wrong. And you're right, I COULD afford to play some medium-to-high-buyin tournaments with my $10-20-level bankroll, but I generally don't. I choose not to. Why the hell should I? The 10-20 and 20-40 games at Turning Stone are, quite frankly, so damn soft and fishy that it's not worth my while to subject myself and my bankroll to the vagaries and luck of tournament poker when I can play ring games at this venue and make an absolute killing. There's a reason, Adam, that most of the greatest players in the world prefer cash games. And while I don't claim to be anywhere near their level, I DO claim to be, at the very least, one of the 3 best players at the venue and the level I play at, which makes it a lot more +EV for me to stay at Turning Stone and continue the fishing expedition rather than prove my manhood to you by playing in a tournament setting where luck is the overriding factor in who wins and who loses. Not to mention, how is it "backing up my abusive post" re: Mr. Varkonyi for me to play in more of the tournaments you describe. Even if I fell flat on my face in all of them (which I wouldn't...I'd make the money and/or final tables as much as the next guy would), how would that make Robert Varkonyi suck any less? What would that prove? I have no animosity toward the man, I've never even met him, but I call them like I see them. Varkonyi was lucky. Damn lucky. And any player with even the slightest understanding of probability should understand that it is VERY possible for a lucky streak to last for 7 or more days. The long run does not equal one week. Despite iveyfan05's assertion, it is NOT hard to say that he got lucky throughout a tourney that lasted more than 1 day.$35-$50 an hour is a rather nice wage for an occasional second job, thanks. I'll be satisfied with that and pick and choose my spots to enter tourneys rather than get greedy and possibly lose it all. In a tournament, a spell of bad luck and I could lose a good chunk of my bankroll. If I play the particular ring games I do for long enough, it is inevitable that I win unless Chip Reese, Ted Forrest, Phil Ivey, Doyle Brunson et al. all decide to move to upstate New York.Incidentally, I never asserted that Varkonyi was worse than EVERY player on this board. My assertion was actually a counter-assertion to a previous player that Varkonyi was better than ANYONE on this board, which is a much more debatable proposition. I would like my chances against him better than any one of the -players- (not commentators, I think I could probably take Shauna Hiatt, and wow would I like to :-P) listed on the left side of this page, by about a factor of 5.

Adam - ACSCashMoney 01-29-05 06:00 PM

Lovely response, I have a proposition for you. I'll personally send you the 10k entry fee to the 2005 WSOP Main Event if you can point out to me where I commented that you are 16 and play for $5. What it clearly says there, it plain English, is that, and this is a quote, "I won't touch the assertion that Varkonyi is worse than every single person on this board, other than to say that this board is likely made up of, at minimum, 20% 16 year olds who have yet to play for more than $5 outside their kitchen table". Scroll up, see for yourself, that comment doesnt even come remotely close to suggesting that YOU are one of those people. It would however, be absurd to think that there aren't a great deal of people posting here who fit that description. Christ, there are posts here where there are no words spelled correctly that contain more than 5 letters. Other than that, it's good to see that you're a very good player who has won tournaments of high magnitude. However, this is a discussion of poker professionals, and this forum is on Robert Varkhoni. He is famous for winning the WSOP 2002 main event. No one else here has won such an event, therefore, they cannot criticize. No, he cannot get lucky for 7 days, which likely comprises 50-60 hours of poker play. If you read the final table transcript, you would see a key hand in the early stages of the final table was when RV moved in with J-J, and after about a year and a half, was called by Shipley with A-J. Shipley self destructed at that table, why should the champ have to apologize for it. Also, Julian Garnder is the one who moved all in on the final hand on simply a decent flush draw with a pair on board. It would seem RV's opponents made mistakes and he was able to capitalize on them. Not exactly the marks of a terrible player my friend.

iveyfan05 01-30-05 06:00 PM

very well said adam..i agree that rv caught cards, but we cant blame him for the other's stupid play....

Pasadena Rex 02-06-05 06:00 PM

Varkhoni is not a good player for the same reason video games are not good players. He has no "feel" for the game, and is unable to make "outside the box" moves. add to that the fact that HE thinks he's really good, and you got one annoying a-hole.

Nambla 02-09-05 06:00 PM

We'd like to introduce our new president for life,Robert Varkonyi.