View Single Post
Old 04-29-05, 05:16 PM

Check your state's laws online...

...but ALL states will say you're violating the law if you're profiting directly. Most will say you're violating the law if you or any other "host" is profiting indirectly (such as charging for drinks, etc., or even holding the tourney in a bar or restaurant where the players might buy drinks or dinner). Many (and I think most) will say its illegal in any case because it's gambling period, and unregulated gambling is generally against the law. Florida, for example, has very specific laws on the books that even dictate exactly how you can play home games, what the wagers are allowed to be, and what maximum the pot is allowed to reach! Likewise Florida and most states prohibit the advertising of any such game, even a home game.

If you're that worried about the legal consequences, I wouldn't recommend doing it. If you're just curious about the legal ramifications but you're not going to lose any sleep over it, I would take my chances. There are so many games going on nowadays that unless you just blatantly thumb your nose at the authorities (or get an undercover, or some whiney-assed loser who rats on you) you're probably going to be fine.