View Single Post
Old 05-09-05, 11:18 AM
Unregistered

There are several sites on the internet that provide the basic laws of " Gambling " in your state.

[url]http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/[/url]

Texas laws are clear as to what can or can't be illegal. However, from reading the laws of the State concerning gambling. it appears that the State itself is in violation by running a Lottery scheme. Of course I am sure there is a " legal" loophole that prevents them from being shut down. God love those politicians.

(7) "Lottery" means any scheme or procedure whereby one or more prizes are distributed by chance among persons who have paid or promised consideration for a chance to win anything of value, whether such scheme or procedure is called a pool, lottery, raffle, gift, gift enterprise, sale, policy game, or some other name.

I play in several back room poker places here in Dallas and we have no fear of getting raided. Why? Becasue the AG and or the Police have better things to do. As for as the home games...if you have cars parked out in the street at all hours of the night? You will run the risk of a neighbor complaining and then the police have to honor that complaint. If there is so called illegal activity going on...then you are in trouble. I have spoken to several police officers about these rooms and they are familiar with them. It was stated that until there is a complaint or problems they will not investigate. I guess it is like the massage parlors. We know that they do other things than a simple massage but they know that unless there is a complaint then they are ok. So with that being said , let''s hope that the laws can be changed to accomodate the growing interest in Poker and allow some form in each state.
Be safe and have fun