View Single Post
Old 02-14-08, 12:18 PM

Hi there. I wanted to discuss gambling law in Ohio. I'm basing my arguments on a copy of the law found at:
[url]http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Ohio/[/url]
so I may be out of date.

The definition of "games of chance" (2915.01-D) includes poker. However, there is a separate definition for "games of chance conducted for profit" (2915.01-E) in which someone is running the game for income. The law against gambling (2915.02-A) forbids the latter category (GoCCfP) outright but only forbids the former (GoC) when it is a significant source of income. The section describing a "gambling house" (2915.03) refers back to the prior section (2915.02). There is a third section forbidding games of chance in public places (2915.04).

By these standards, it seems that someone who runs a poker game in a private place is not breaking the law, so long as they don't charge a fee or rake. Similarly, someone playing in such a game would be legal so long as they are not playing professionally.

My thinking is that a recreational, low-stakes home poker game is legal in Ohio. Do you think this is reasonable, or am I making a wishful interpretation?