View Single Post
Old 02-11-05, 06:02 PM
Mago

Without more information it is really hard to say it was a bad call. Doyle say's that there are many times he is the underdog going into a hand but gets , in the words of the other player ( lucky ). What was the other player doing? Was he being aggressive and stealing the blinds? I do that alot when it is a short handed game. That is the only strategy. You have to wipe out the other players by taking there blinds. Was he doing that? Did he have position on you. When you are short stacked or even stacked and the guy keeps pushing, you will have to make a stand somewhere some time. Well, you made it. He got beat. AK is not that great of a hand. As one poster said above, I would rather have 9/10, J/10 than AK. I can make a STR8 more ways than I can with AK. So to argue rather or not you made a bad move...it depends. Gus Hansen makes what most of us would say are terrible plays at the table and you see his results. So luck has a lot to do with it. I was playing in a tourny just recently and was busted out when I went ALL - IN with A J Suited. The other guy raised before me and then I went all in. Making him have to think how good his cards were before he could call. Almost laid them down. But he called, he had A Q. Oh well, an A came at the river and his Q played. He beat me. I could have got lucky but didn't. So again, did you make the right call? It depends on you , the player, the cards, position etc. and a whole lot on gut feel. You won the hand that is all that matters after the fact. If any pro says they have never made a gut play and never drew out on someone, they are all liers. Part of the game. So the lesson is , make sure you know your outs, your odds, etc...at least you can make an intelligent deciscion and then if intelligence doesn't work...use your gut. Have fun...