View Single Post
Old 11-07-04, 06:00 PM
Linda

I met Phil Gordon in Paris of all places at the World Bridge Federation World Championships. The tournament had originally been scheduled for Bali but due to 9/11 the tournament was moved to Paris in very short notice. It was amazing the things that had to be done to make this move as a boat carrying all the equipment had to be found, unloaded and sent to Paris. The hotel accomodations were adequate but the bridge event was played in the soccer stadium which was a fair bus ride away. I think Phil would agree that a bridge world championship is every bit as exhausting as a poker tournament. One day, well into the tournament our tired team trudged out and saw a line of 5 buses waiting to take us back to the hotel. I said "ugh - which one has empty seats?" and heard a voice behind me say "this one has lots." All 5'1" of me (and old enough to be his mother)turned around and looked up and up and up and I'll be darned if this guy was tall enough to be looking in the bus windows! I said "thanks shorty" and he grinned and said "your welcome." Of course, througout the two week event I called him shorty every time I saw him. Phil dabbled in bridge for a while playing in several of our National Championships and we always found time to share a drink or two at each tournament. He promised me a Hold 'Em lesson next time I was in Vegas and I plan on collecting it soon.