Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > COMMENTS
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-14-04, 06:00 PM
STEFANIE UNGAR

My Dad Never Went To Rehab. But It's Ok Because There Are Alot Of Rumors About Him That Will Be Cleared Up In The Book. The Book Isn't Called "the Man Behind The Shades" Anymore. But Yes I Just Signed On To Work With Nolan.
Old 10-15-04, 06:00 PM
Mago

Thanks Stefanie, if it were not for your dad, then I wouldn't have been interested in the WSOP for all of these years.I understand drug addiction and have watched it destroy a many of people. (I hate drugs and all that they do to you.) I have also watched them recover from it. My brother reminds me so much of Stu. Brilliant beyond anyones imagination yet was hooked on drugs and also spent a many a night in jail. Stealing to support his habits. He was able to recover but not before it destroyed his early years as an adult. He is now 45 and VP of Finance for a major Auto dealership in Texas. BTW, never graduated from high school either. Dropped out at age 16. It is unfortunate that anyone on this board considers characters such as Stu as losers and such. They were brilliant people and beautiful at the same time. Drugs are a menace to society and it does seem to effect brillliant folks more than the average Joe. Not sure of the psycological reasoning behind it, but if you look back at cultures throughout history, some of the most brilliant of minds succumbed to drug abuse and ultimately died because of it. Yes, talent wasted, but the legacy that has been left behind by these flawed characters is reason enough to give respect to their brillance. Some make it some don't. Because I understand, I salute Stu and hope to make the final table this year at the WSOP. Cheers.
Old 10-17-04, 06:00 PM
Bracey Wright

I play sports in college and i just took up poker... I follow some of the same techniques as Stu Ungar and Phil Ivey... AGGRESIVE... Thanks for postin stefanie... HOLLA!

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 02-05-13 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 06:00 PM
Amir/Tus

Stu was really a legend. He was a true gambler and with out any doubt one of the greatest among who ever pulled in to the card games and specially the game of poker. with out no doubt, he was an A in the way that NLH should be played. There are lot of fascinating stories about how he did figure out , what people were holding and how he would put you under pressure of making any decision while you were having your chips piled up infront of his. He was a head and shoulder above all the other NLH tournament players in the history of the game.Although i agree with people who say that he was always broke and that is not what the game of poker is all about,how ever,as you all know and heard about, he was a true gambler. he would put his money on any thing. he was after the pleasure of gambling. after the hight of it. He had stood on the highest mountain of risk,fear and Adrenalin.thats what made him a legend. He was the man of action. he wasn't after a normal life; thats what he was born to do and he did it with out any fear to the end. I bet you that the man enjoyed his time more than any of us could ever think of or any body could ever put it in to the written work.Yes, my friends thats what gambling is all about, he had the highest climbes and to its reverse the deepest of drops, but he always came back,and never let these drops put him out of action. Partner, that require big heart, which he had. onthe other hand, what made him a legend was his unique abilities. Such as having photo graphic memory,a true ability in figuring the game mathematical aspects,ability to read people and find out about thier strenght and weeknesses, a true artist, a brave heart,and so many more ,but on top of all he was a real No limit player of the game of life.Okey he might have not won it compare to the one's who have, but he left his name as a legend in the history of gambling.I believe there are many poker players out thier who have become interested in the game of poker , because of his legendery stories. I'm one of those . when ever i see the picture of that childish , skinny, sweet guy sitting at the green felt table of the world series of poker with a huge pile of chips infront of him and sitting next to him are legendrey players, who look like monsters comparing to his physical size and are crashed by his unpredictable plays, i get this romantic feeling inside, a strange feeling which is undrestandable for those who are familiar with the game of life. This image of him, has made him one of a kind. i personally don't agree with his drug addiction, but i don't judge him on that base.Even though to me it sounds like this life" a normal life" was such a bordem for a man with his ability and talents. yes he wanted to be high, the highest as a man could possibley get( in a sense of action).He had it, he felt it and he got over the real game, the bigest game, the game of life.God bless his soul, love you kid.
Old 10-22-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

Dear Amir/Tus You have a gift for writing. I wanted to tell you in case no one ever has but I am guessing that's not the case. I really like the fact that you can see into my father's life for more then what is seen by the average person. You have the ability to analize just as he did that's probably the reason that you drew a liking to him. Alot of people highlight his drug problem as if that was who he was but there was so much more to this briliant man. He hated the fact that he had a drug problem. He would tell me he didn't even like the high anymore. It's just sad to see how evil drugs are and how they can have such a stronghold on someone. Hopefully someone reading this who might be in a simuliar situation can learn from watching my dad's mistakes and turn there life around. That is one of the main reason's my dad agreed to writting his life story before he passed away. Hopefuly you all will read it when it's out and not only see my dad for who he was as a poker player but as a person too.
Old 10-25-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

yo when is the movie or book gonna hit the scene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

I don't know when the book is comming out. We are still putting the final touches on it. Mabey it will be out by the next WSOP. I have nothing to do with the movie so I have no clue when it's comming out.
Old 10-29-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

stephanie do you play poker? do you have a boy friend?
Old 10-30-04, 06:00 PM
freeman

Stu was a wizard at cards but the drugs did get him,if i can be like 10% of the skill that stu did have will be a happy man, RIP stu and we will allways remeber you.
Old 11-02-04, 06:00 PM
texasKINGS

just curious about when i can expect the book on him to be realeased?
Old 11-06-04, 06:00 PM
sammy the brick

STOP WITH THIS BLAPHAMIS POKER god BULLSHIT PLEASEEEE!!! He was a great player a great gin and hold em player who counted cards like a genius, but his weakness for drugs overcame it all and so did his love for sports betting he is far from a god in any respect. Johnny Moss also had 3 wins no one mentions him nor is he even listed on this site, truely sad becuase I'm sure he could have beaten Stu heads up anyday and would have placed better at a tourney too.
Old 11-07-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

Just to give you some info. Johnny Moss and my dad used to play against each other regularly before he passed and my dad has beat him plenty times. That's already a known fact by those who have been in the poker seen long before all this televised poker started. For those of you who don't know... the very first WSOP decided the winner by a show of hands of who they thought played best overall. Alot of professional poker players whom I grew up with don't really consider that an ACTUAL win.
sammy the brick

To give you some info, I've been following poker since before all this craze myself. I'm 23 and have been playing since I was in the 4th grade. I'm sure Moss lost more than jsut a few hands in his life, and to more people than just your dad, if they ever really played. Poker isn't a game where the best player wins ALL the time in fact no player no matter how good can ever win all the time. I'm sure you know this since you've been around the game so long. As far as the first WSOP though it diodn't have the numbers of today nor the format, I feel it showed who was the best player not because he beat out a field of 2000 plus players and got really lucky a lot of times, like MM but rather played solidly and well this I think shows who is the better player. Brunson, Lederer, Hellmuth, and Chan are all much better than any champion since 1990 until today but the main event wins won't show that. Bottom line I stick to what I said, Moss was better than Ungar.
sammy the brick

Wait I just scrolled up and saw that you say you're Ungar's daughter, I have no reason to disbelieve you and I'm going to take your word for it. So forget the last part completely. What I would like to say is that I wish Moss had written a book and that I think had your dad written one it would have been useless because his game was one that couldn't be taught. Moss was a player with experiance, where your dad was naturally a great card counter and had an almost mystical ability to read people. His gin hold em stud and even black jack game were ledgendary, I recently read about a black jack game where he called off the remaining cards left in the shoe when accused of cheating. Your father was a great player who's talent was really God given but it makes me angry how people say he was a "god" and how Moss isn't even on this site.
Old 11-08-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

Everyone is intitled to their own opinion. I am not going to sit here and try to sell my dad to you. If you think Moss was better then my dad then so-be-it. I know Moss was a great player but better then my dad I don't think so! And there are alot of players who will back me up on this. I am sure of it!! I have taped interviews from people who are looked up upon in the poker world that will be featured in my dad's upcomming book who witnessed thousands of games played between my dad and others including Moss and admit they never saw someone play the way my dad did. They said when his head was on straight he played with perfection. You can let the record speak for itself. No player has ever won a Superbowl of Poker AND a World Series of Poker tournament one time each but in Stu Ungar's case he won each one of those tournaments 3 times each. But I do agree with you on something Sammy the Brick, I don't like when my dad it looked up upon as a god either. There is only one God Almighty and my dad was not him but He sure was blessed with a God given talent. Take care.
Old 11-13-04, 06:00 PM
DJG

Stefanie, I certainly do not look up to your father as God. There is only one God almighty and your father is definitely not him. He was a great poker player and I was only trying to pay your father a compliment for his playing abilities. In that he was a great success. I apologize to you and everybody who has taken offense to my previous remark.
Old 11-13-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

It's ok. I kind of knew you didn't mean it in that way but some people really worship their idols and God tells us not to. I was only tring to make that known to people who might do that with my dad.
Old 11-14-04, 06:00 PM
Joe

Has his movie come out yet, i can't find it anywere.
Old 11-15-04, 06:00 PM
jdp16985

Hey Stefaine, what part of the country do you live in? Just curious to know if you live in Vegas. Your dad was awsome, and I actually had the chance to play a few rounds with him. ANy idea when the book is going to be out? What is the name?
Old 11-16-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

His book should be released at the next WSOP. We still havn't figured out the exact name fot it yet. I have a name I would like to call it but I need to talk it over with the people who are involved with this also. I will make sure to keep everyone posted when I here somthing for sure. This next WSOP is going to be great! We have a few project that will be released at that time. Things of my dad that no one has seen yet.
Old 11-16-04, 06:00 PM
aavnet

Hey Bracey Wright...you need to step it up for IU this year. And i live in Bloomington if you need a game. Much respect for Stu Ungar, one of the all time greats. Actions speak louder than words. He isnt here saying anything yet only two people have won three titles. Nuff said.
Old 11-20-04, 06:00 PM
TI.

Stick up for him Steph!!! your a great girl with alot of heart! H~ TI (Breeze)
Old 11-20-04, 06:00 PM
TI.

Don't let anyone get you down...You are a good girl who knows her father! TI H~ (Breeze Bar) Found it...
Old 11-21-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

hey steph! im just wondering after reading some of your previous comments, as to whether you are Christian?
Stefanie Ungar

Yes I am Christian. The Lord has given me so much strength in dealing with my dad's death. Today is the anniversary of his death. It is 6 years now. He had such a good heart and was so funny. When I think about him those are the things that I remember most. Thanksgiving is around the corner and I am just thankful that I had a dad like him who loved me so much. Even though my time with him was cut short I still have a lifetime full of memories that I keep close to my heart.
TI.

Do you know who this is... now! (Breeze Bar) H~
Old 11-22-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

Yes I do. I am glad you got a chance to look him up on the internet. He was a smart and amazing person huh? Take care and it was nice meeting you.
Old 11-26-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

whoa, I just been reading some poker articles which talk about Stu playing heads-up holdem.One of them goes like this... It was Mansour Matloubi and Stuey playing $50000 headsup freeze outs.On one hand the flop came 3-3-7 rainbow, Stuey bet and Mansour calledd. Turn was King, both checked, river was Queen. Mansour had pocket 4-5 off suit, and smelled weakness in Stuey when the river came up so he went all-in with his last $30000.Stuey called the bet and turned over his 10-9!!!!There were only three hands that Stu could beat, 4-5, 4-6, 5-6.WHAT AN UNBELIEVEABLE CALL!!!
Old 11-26-04, 06:00 PM
TI.

Thansk, Steph.... your dad is a champ! and always will be.. see ya soon! H~
Old 11-30-04, 06:00 PM
Gary

The evidence speaks for itself.Stu was the greatest NL poker player ever! I´m impressed by the dignity Stephanie handles some stupid people who´s trying to smear her fathers memory. I fell sick when I read PK:s postings. He´s obviosly not in good mental shape.It´s easy too be hooked on drugs, but hard to get rid of the demons. He proved his extraordinary talent and mental power by winning his third WSOP 1997 after many years of addiction. That´s mental power!Stu Ungar will allways be admired and remembered as a great poker legend.With or without demons, no one will probably remember PK.