Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk

Notices

Old 11-25-04, 03:50 PM
randommale

AA or KK shorthanded

When it gets shorthanded and i am delt AA or KK, msot of the time I jut raise and get the blinds. Would it be better if i just called and trapped them? or a limp-reraise?
Old 11-26-04, 07:51 AM
Mark

AA KK or AKs shourt handed,

When I get AA KK or AKs short handed, I tend to slow play a bit more. Against 6-7 or more players this backfires often and I tend to bet more. With a monster hand short handed, like KK, if not A hits, your in for a good pot, granted your not playing maniacs.....Cheers
Old 11-26-04, 10:21 AM
Chad

If you are short-handed, you should slow-play, but only until the flop.

However, doing this has boned me pretty bad a few times. I hate pocket aces, but you would have no balls if you folded them.
Old 12-04-04, 12:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Alaskan
In short handed play I've always let my opponents see the flops cheaply, even with raising material like A-10 on up. With stronger hands like J-J through A-A though I'm always confused as to what to do.

What I hate about not preflop raising is that I have nothing to get a read off of. If I limped with Q-Q and a King came on the flop I could judge a lot from preflop action. "Would he really hang on to a weak king after I bet (insert amount here)?" I am not a real body reader - I can tell when people are scared shitless or excited or when things are about to get real bad, but marginal situations like this I need a little more to make my decisions. When I don't preflop raise sometimes against weaker opposition I can tell when they hit it. With tougher opposition I get lost. "Well, he could have K-2 because he didn't have to call a raise, or he could have 4-9 off because I didn't give him a raise."

Also, if there's nothing but the blinds and antes in the pot and I hit the gas on the flop, whats to keep my opponent in there? He or she has virtually nothing invested. There's no money in there that has attachment to them, nothing that they had to decide to put in and now they are trying to convince themselves that THAT call preflop was the right decision.

In cash games I have always slowplayed in these situations with aggressive opponents that will do the betting for me (whether I raise or smooth call is another judgement call all together) or will try to bumrush me on the flop. When they have been timid opponents I have dragged them in with steadily increasing bets, as long as my hand still looks like the best and nothing like 4 to a suit, 4 to a straight, or a pair on the board has hit that I think my opponent might have gotten a piece of.

I can't say this strategy from experience for I have yet to play my first tournament, but what I plan to do is just put in a normal raise. Great tournament players look like they are always hunting for that big pot to put them in winning position. If you're an aggressive player and you've proven yourself loose in some pot by raising with some crap you got to show down (hopefully you hit too so your opponent got to see what crap you got lucky with and then they can pull a Hellmuth bitching hour) then they might overplay something like A-J or K-Q. When you reraise them they might fold, but still you took down a nice sized pot and made your opponent feel like he's still getting beaten around...that this is your game and you're going to destroy him before the night is out, and that he better hit the panic button before his last chip gets thrown out. If he does call you then you are probably a favorite to win, and you can't do much more than get your money in with the best hand. At worst its usually a coin flip, sometimes you're dominating (imagine A-K, A-A, K-K against your opponents overplayed A-J or K-Q mentioned earlier), and at best he is slaughtered (10-10, 9-9, etc.). If you have queens and the other guy has kings and you were shorthanded well then there wasn't a whole hell of a lot you could do.
Old 01-05-05, 06:37 AM
Unregistered

This happens a lot to me at my home games as the host and I are usually the last ones there. We play heads up for a while, usually just giving money back and forth. In these situations I always bet on AA or KK and bet big. Partly because I know my opponent but also there is something about loosing with AA or KK in the hole......it just doesn't feel right. I would rather take the blinds then be the victim of a bad beat. I'll make my money with something else or when the table isn't short handed.
Old 02-18-05, 01:09 PM
Unregistered

It depends on my table image. If I've been captaining the final table, I'll make it my normal raise, (3 bets to go) and pray for a call and/or a reraise. The thinking here is I've been raising a good amount of hands so it's less likely for some one to put me on a premium hand since it seems i've been trying to steal blinds and antes the last half hour or so.

Post flop here is tricky, but chances are if you have been paying attention to the players, you have a good feel for them. If no draws hit the board, I'm probably moving all in here, especially if the high card on board is a Q or J. Also, any 8,9,or 10 could be a bad card because you may be running into a set. The thinking here is 77 or worse is probably folding here and jj or better is gonna re raise all in over the top. But then again I could be dead wrong.

If I've been playing passively, here is where I will slow play the flop, given the right situation. I like to play AA or KK this way as if they were pocket 8's or 7's, meaning playing passively and allow the original raiser to bet them for you, especially if no draw hits the board. I'm ususally going to move all in out of position on the turn. The thinking here is I've called his post flop bet and I probably have him a little uneasy. If I check here, he may also check and catch a backdoor flush or straight for free.

Slow playing with AA is very foolish however where you are in position preflop and there has been a raise and a reraise. Any one who slowplays here is not very bright. By this point the pot is pretty big if it has been raised and reraised. Chances are (unless you have an enormous stack) the pot represents a pretty good percentage of your current chip count. Push em in.

I feel almost the same about KK here, but make sure the original raiser or the reraiser isn't very tight. Given the right chip count, and right situation, and right (and by right i mean low) alcohol content, I'd have to consider folding here. Good luck, see you at the Taj!
Old 02-18-05, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

I agree

Raise before the flop at a full table. Raise after the flop when heads-up. Generally speaking of course - Don't become predictable, and adjust for opponents and position.
Old 02-18-05, 06:05 PM
Mago

What is your image at the table? What are the blind limits? 1/2 2/5?

If you are in early to middle position then depending on the other players at the table it is ok to limp and hope that someone raises. If you are on the button or close with several limpers, then raise. If you are in a full ring or shorthanded game I would go with that strategy. But even that is not always the best strategy. If you know of a player that is aggressive and potentially will raise let him do the raising.

***if you are considered tight, then any raise or aggression by you could cause the whole table to fold...you get blinds that is it.

*** if you have raised several pots and then been able to lay them down after the flop...you stand a good chance of getting called no matter the size of the bet.

I see the concern here is getting value for your strong hand. Always a problem.

If you are in a low blind NL game then you could limp early and hope that someone raises you then you pop them with a good size raise...maybe pot size and you are most assuredly going to get him to call your raise with everyone else folding. Then when the flop comes and it is your turn you will bet out " ALL -in " heads up is not a bad play here if the flop is favarable. RAG RAG RAG ,and most likely win the pot there. Which is what you want to happen...ACE's cracked is not fun.

If an A shows up on the flop then beautiful...then you will slow play like there is no tomorrow. Make him think you are afraid of the A on the board. You are setting up him to bluff at the pot. then take his head off.

The problem with slow play from any position in a low blind game is you will have many people staying in with crap and that is what beats you. Not that they should have stayed, but you let them stay by not raising. If you are in position I would always raise at least pot size. Early and middle position is always the toughest. Do I raise or limp? If you limp then you are gambling that your ACE's will not get cracked.

There are many ways to play ACES' these are just what works for me...ring game or tournament. Have fun amd make some money.