Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > COMMENTS

Notices

Old 01-27-04, 06:00 PM
Ron

POKER INFO - PROILE - Chris Moneymaker

Luckiest player on earth.
Old 02-04-04, 06:00 PM
FSU1

The kid never backed down. Agressive, Agressive, Agressive. You don't get lucky that many times. Look at all the great players he sent to the rail!
Old 02-05-04, 06:00 PM
The Body

Decent amatuer, but very lucky. Just look how he played that infamous hand against Brenes!
Old 02-08-04, 06:00 PM
Bryan Evans

Lucky...but very wealthy because of his stones.
Old 02-12-04, 06:00 PM
Tom

Great job Moneymaker. You give the amatuer player hope. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-12-04, 06:00 PM
rookie

brenes. enough said. he has to be a decent player to get this far, but he can never play my cash, ever.
Old 02-13-04, 06:00 PM
poker king

Moneymaker???? Weatlthy yes fourtunate of course. Poker player No way. That week great for moneymaker yes. But shortly after he comes to ceasers glory of rome in southern indiana and drops a huge chunk of his bankroll in a 30-60 ring game he was awful I'll play with moneymaker any time anywhere see ya in ceasers soon again i hope HACK your a HACK
Old 02-14-04, 06:00 PM
tri

That call he made against Dutch Boyd with pocket threes with three overcards on the flop was awesome. He could've gone home had he lost that hand ...
Old 02-14-04, 06:00 PM
Reed L

Dont think hes good. He did not deserve the win. Luky little basterd!!!!!!
Old 02-16-04, 06:00 PM
Tom

Poker king, learn who to talk and type. Good for moneymaker, because I didn't see poker king win the WSOP. Big Deal if lost to you and some of your backwards Indiana friends, everyone loses once in awhile, buy not everyone wins as big as he did. he took em all down one by one.
Old 02-16-04, 06:00 PM
zman1979

Dont Be Hating Chris Beacause He Won The Wsop. Sure He Got Lucky A Few Hands Who Doesn't? Its Poker For Christ Sake. But I Think For An Amaturer He Did Very Good. I Like His Poker Face Handled The Pressure Quite Well. Hes Allright In My Book.
Old 02-17-04, 06:00 PM
nicky baby

he's good for a amaturer, but he had no business winning that. he got so lucky it was unreal. but poker is luck also . but wow did he get lucky ... but i will tip my hat to him .... he picked the right time to get lucky.lol wow ,,, poker king ... he won 2.5 million lol what could have lost in a 30-60 game 10k at the most .... wow do the math u .... u think he cares about the 10-20 k he lost. wow he got another 2.48 million
Old 02-18-04, 06:00 PM
Frank/ FrankyDaPit/ pitbull2122

why do y'all play poker? to win money? I thought so....he won it...you didn't. Don't cry "luck"...no one believes your stupid story anyway PokerKing....it's easy to be a hotshot on the web.
Old 02-19-04, 06:00 PM
Gman

A player with a TON of heart, a guy not afraid to push it all in with nothing...of course, this makes him tremendously tough to play, and if he can get some more good cards this year I predict he will go well on after the 1st day...unlike R. Varkoyni. Sure, Chris sucked out a couple of times but on those occasions only half or so of his stack was at risk, remember the call against Dutch? Great reader, underestimated I think.
Old 02-19-04, 06:00 PM
PokerDali

Chris is a good tournament player. Look at some of the plays a few of the "greats" such as Chan and Ivey made vs him; I dont see anyone dissing them. Chan made a god-awful bluff at him, trying to outplay, and people like to say how "lucky" he was vs. Ivey. TOTAL BS. Ivey called 300K of his stack with a 2 outer, and hit, and you expect CM to fold top trips best kicker? Ivey hit a 22-1, Cm hit a 6.5-1, so lets not talk luck. On the brenes hand, yeah, he got lucky, but only because brenes played it that way. I GUARANTEE he doesn't call 88 if brenes goes all in, but brenes tried to get tricky, and got busted. ANY player who wins a tourney gets lucky, period. CM is a solid tourney player, and comparisons to Varkonyi are laughable. Varkonyi won when behind and with TERRIBLE cards at least 6 times in the late stages, and then got hit with the deck. The only reason the guy who finished 2nd,(who was a very good player, but his name escapes me at the time) couldn't beat him, is that he couldn't get a hand, and he knew Varkonyi wasn't good enough to fold anything. People who think CM sux at tourney poker just don't know how good tourney poker is played, plain and simple.
Old 02-21-04, 06:00 PM
bill/billye/billye1111

He Put All His Money In When He was behind several times..He made so many mistakes a typical internet player makes.. If he gets to final table again I will walk to Vegas....P.S. His dad was a total idiot as well!!!!
Old 02-23-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

Yes All his MISTAKES PAID OFF..oh yeah nikki baby...I'm sure Ron will be seeing you at the $1-2 tables.
Old 02-23-04, 06:00 PM
civil66

Luck skill whatever. He's the champ enough said. Go Vols!
Old 02-24-04, 06:00 PM
dbmc7

Moneymaker is a good player but luck definately played a factor, should have definately been out with that call on Phil Ivey, and there were other incidences. But then again he also made some great calls later on in the tournament, like the one he made against Dutch Boyd, loved it.
Old 02-24-04, 06:00 PM
deac

pokerdali, second place at the wsop in 2002 was 23 year old julian gardner. a very solid player. cheers.
Old 02-26-04, 06:00 PM
The_House

While CM DEFINITELY got lucky, I agree with pokerdali that he made some great plays that everyone doesn't realize. I agree that his won over Ivey was not ridiculous, what was redicilous was Ivey hitting the 9 on 4th street. But most of all, CM went all in when he was heads up against Farha, after he missed the flush and straight draw, and got Farha to fold top pair (jacks) when CM was holding absolute garbage. That was a championship play. Luck is a huge part in poker, even when you have a lot of skill.
Old 02-26-04, 06:00 PM
Stax McBluff

Farha folded a pair of 9's that hand...CM was so amped by that pot that he couldn't even REMEMBER what was on the board. (He thought the high card was a 10 by the way)
Old 02-27-04, 06:00 PM
michael/rotag28/luckystarr28

Ive been playing and watching poker for over 20 years and CM played as well as any pro in that tournament. He got lucky just like every person who has every won has but to all of you who think he has no skill how many of you could have bluffed out a man with top pair or called with poket 33 againts someone who tried to buy the pot. I dont know if he will ever be at the final table again but i do know with out the great calls and bluffs he did make all the luck he got wouldnt have got him the title. Great job moneymaker
Old 02-28-04, 06:00 PM
josmo

I agree with billye , moneymaker is a bafoon..
Old 02-29-04, 06:00 PM
Brenny

Just a message to everyone talking about how Chris Moneymaker is horribly lucky and everything:Talk all you want, but the fact is, you wish you had won the WSOP. One guy gets lucky and wins 2.5 million dollars, and everyone hates him.Would you hate someone who won the lottery?
Old 02-29-04, 06:00 PM
smallstakessammy

The simple facts are that he made some giant mistakes. The odds of him winning with these type of mistakes were slim. He will never make it past the first day again.. MM will be making a $10000 donation every year for the rest of his life!!!
Old 03-01-04, 06:00 PM
Johnny Chan

Does everyone remeber the final hand i played against money maker?Kh-5h against A nut flush draw only 7 hearts were left in the deck!!I put the position into my computer,I had a 72%of winning he just got lucky.
Old 03-02-04, 06:00 PM
Bry

I was unsure what to think of Moneymaker until he took down that pot against Farha heads up. One of the best bluffs I've ever seen. Anyone can win a pot when they have a hand, but only the pros can take down a pot with rags. Maybe he's not a pro, but that was a pro move.
Old 03-02-04, 06:00 PM
pokerdali

rebuttals, in order;Billye: Name the SEVERAL times he put all his $$ i when behind. I can think of 2,(other than a bluff), 88 vs AA, and AQ vs 99. what are the others? name me a player who played better overall. Tll me "all the other mistakes the typical internet player makes" he made. allin vs aggression with a draw only? Calling 25% of his stack with a likely 2 outer? Oh, no, those were moves made by Johnny CHan and Phil Ivey, 2 of the best players on the planet.smallstakes sammy;Again, what HUGE mistakes? 88 was the only one, and it was an aggression mistake. If he CALLS 88, then thats a HUGE mistake, but he didn't. Maybe you just don't know the difference."Johnny CHan" (yeah, right) Actually, he had top pair/mid kicker and njut flush draw, so CM was about a 97% favorite.
Old 03-03-04, 06:00 PM
awobball44

Call it what you want, but Chris is laughing the whole way to the bank. He played very well. In poker you need to have the skill and make the right calls to get in an oppertunity to get a little lucky. And you do need some lucky catches to win a tournament of that size. He made some great calls to put himself in position to catch some luck. Alot of players would not have made some of the great plays he did to put himself in a position to get some luck and win the whole thing! Good Job Chris and I hope you do well next year!