Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > COMMENTS

Notices

Old 08-01-04, 06:00 PM
owen

anytime a real professional (not some jackass on a message board) is asked who the greatest of all time is they always say stu ungar. the funny thing is that hold'em was not his best game. this guy was winning $10,000 hands of gin when he was a teenager. it seems to me he would have been the best at what ever he decided to do.
Old 08-02-04, 06:00 PM
b..

Phil Hellmuth is 10x better that Stu Ungar. 9 braclets to 3
Old 08-02-04, 06:00 PM
the voice of reason

Take the collective poker talent of everyone to have made a post in this site, put it in one player, and Stu Ungar would beat that person in ten minutes headsup. I would also like to thank his daughter and family for compiling a book about his life. Being a twentysomething player I am truly thankful that tournament structures have changed, It is incredible to think of his accomplishments given the way those tournaments rode players like abused workhorses. Perhaps the greatest loss of our time not to be able to watch him play, but it is nothing to your loss, Ms. Ungar. To hell with those who would disrespect him over drugs, they weren't there. They don't know the pressure he felt, more than likely they'll never know it. But they will dream every time they sit at a card table that they had a tenth of the genius your father possessed. I anxiously await the release of your book as well as the film next year. I hope it shows people who think poker is an easy living exactly how many obstacles we indeed face. God bless and thank you again.
Old 08-04-04, 06:00 PM
freddifish

Hello to all readers here. If Stu were still alive there would not be any doubt about why he is the greatest gin/poker player ever. The reason that the game has become so popular is due to legends like Stu Ungar. To Stefanie and Ms Ungar, his spirit lives on in his name and memory. I am related to Jerry Ungar, Stu's cousin, and am now teaching Danny Ungar to play the best game ever. We all go by the name the Ungar gang and will be ready for wsop 2005 or 06, he is only 19. We will never play like Stu did but hope to keep the Ungar name in poker for many more years to come... so watch out... there are other Ungar's still out here and getting ready.
Old 08-07-04, 06:00 PM
pk.

He lost more than he won-died broke- he's no better th an the rest of the losers out there-actaully he is was one up-he was also a junkie- amazing how so many people praise a degerate gambling junkie who died broke- he was a poor excuse for a human- A dime a dozen- jsut another dead junkie in my mind
pk.

in repsonse to owen- the best at whatever he would try???- How about life. REAL WINNER THERe- one of millions of dead junkies- REAL HERO- your right he really conquered life
pk.

and stepahnie ungar should be ashamed of herself by making money off her own father's tragedies- but hey -apple dont fall far from the tree - your father was a degenerate drug addict - JUST ANOTHER LOSER - he got what he deserves
Old 08-10-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

In response to pk... I am sorry you feel such ill feelings towards my father. I almost wasn't going to respond to your comment because I didn't want to lower myself but I can't read this and not stick up for my dad especially since he isn't here to stick up for himself. I am by no means using his life to make money. His life was incredible and it deserves to be told. When your the best in the world at anything you deserved reconigation. I am especially looking forward to this book coming out so people like you can see that there was alot more to my dad life then just his drug use.
Old 08-10-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

For those of you who are intrested in the movie comming out, I don't have any infomation on that because we were not behind that movie. I read the script and didn't care for it. I wanted it to be totally based on my fathers life(the good and the bad) but the guy behind the movie felt it was fine the way he wrote it so we declined.
Old 08-12-04, 06:00 PM
smash

so is the movie still guna come out? cuz i never got to see stu play because of my young age, i really want to see the movie about the poker legend stu ungar..RIP
Old 08-12-04, 06:00 PM
some guy

i love how people talk about how shitty some clean players and then praise this druggie. he probably only won the WS because the little pink elephant floating on top of the poker table was telling him what every held. with all the talent he had he was too stupid to give himself a life. the only thing he shows gamblers is how not to live and that even the most extensive of skill can be thrown away by terrible decisions.
Old 08-22-04, 06:00 PM
smash

Is that movie guna come out then? i rarely go to movies because of the price today but this one would be worth goin to if it goes into theatres
Old 08-22-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

Why would you want to see a movie that has barely any truth behind it?
Old 08-23-04, 06:00 PM
ACG2x

The best No-Limit Hold-Em' and Gin player to have ever lived and my personal inspiration to improve my poker game and continue learning.Stefanie, if that is really you (it is the Internet, so you can't blame a guy for being weary ), I look far beyond your Dad's personal demons and look to his unreal talent. He is, was, and will be along with Brunson "The Man" in No-Limit poker. Anybody else is just a pretender.Amen to whoever said that you could take every negative person on here, add up their talent level and multiply it by 5,000 and Stuey on his worst day would bust them in less than 20 minutes, guaranteed.An untouched genuis of the game, RIP Mr. Ungar, you are the best. God Bless your family Stefanie.
Old 08-24-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

Thanks for the kind words. I guess you really wouldn't know if this is me or not but I really am Stefanie. I like to go online from time-to-time and read about my dad because for me it helps me keep his memory alive(kind of like therapy for me).
Old 09-02-04, 06:00 PM
BILL S

Dear Stefanie Unger, I knew your father from Bennies club in NY around 1976. Yes he was the best Gin rummy player around bar non. And then became the best poker player that I ever seen, Including John Moss. I may be able to help you with some memoirs back then. Feel free to contact me. Sincerely, Bill
Old 09-07-04, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

Happy Birthday!
Old 09-09-04, 06:00 PM
John Juanda

not a bad poker player but definately not the best of all time
Old 09-14-04, 06:00 PM
yoduhlookcloser

when did stu unger die??
Old 09-14-04, 06:00 PM
Rick

One of the best, but stupidity (drugs) got the best of him.
Old 09-23-04, 06:00 PM
Pokrstudent

Imagine what he coulda done...Great player! Great person! Bad Habits RIP STU...Take some of God's money too!
Old 09-27-04, 06:00 PM
MLaw

RIP to a poker legend that I have not learned enough about yet to comment.
Old 09-28-04, 06:00 PM
stu's cousin

stu's father,iddo, and my father,nate, were brothers. i went to stu's bar-mitzvah . he was quite a smart boy. what happened to the movie ? i would love to see them immortalize him
Old 10-05-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

from what Ive read about him, sounds like he was in a league of his own. what a legend
Old 10-07-04, 06:00 PM
Da Best

RIP Legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POKER GOD, probably taking some money off Tupac and Biggie hahaha
Old 10-07-04, 06:00 PM
Hey John Juanda

not a bad poker player????? Guess you know nothing about this man, he was the only player to every win WSOP 3 times,i don't count JMoss. Enter 30 major NL tourney and won 10 of it. that's 33% of winning. "but definately not the best of all time" than who is?
Old 10-09-04, 06:00 PM
rivahqueen

never knew Stu, didn't even know how to play poker when he was alive but I've read alot about the man and talked to several pros who played with him and several dealers who dealt to him. Without a doubt, he was a card genius, not just poker. Alot of the "greats" of our time met their demise to drugs...Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin to name a few...it was a didn't age, a different era than the world we live in today. It is obvious from everyone who new him that he loved his daughter, Stephanie very much....and knowing the world of Vegas then.....how do we really know he died of a drug overdose that he willing took? hmmmmmm Give them man his due and the respect he so richly deserves...yeah, Hellmuth has 9 bracelets for WSOP events....but not 3 for the main event.....BIG, BIG difference....Stu is a legend.....
Old 10-10-04, 06:00 PM
Stu is god!

The people who say that drug use is bad are the ones who take a drug everytime they sneeze or demand that the doc give them a pill for any little problem they have. Cocaine isn't as bad as some drugs, and for Stu to play right out of rehab and still win is a testament to his overwhelming skill. Stu won the main even 3 times, and whoever said that hellmuth was better needs to be kicked in the throat.
Old 10-11-04, 06:00 PM
curious about the book

Stephanie - Were you working with Nolan Dalla on the book about your father? (The Man Behind the Shades) From what I've heard, he has a lot of tapes of conversations/interviews and his book is supposed to be great. I know the editor that bought it has left Atria, and I know that it is being published in the UK. Any idea who is publishing it here and when it will be released?
Old 10-12-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

Does anyone know when the movie is going to be released or where to get a overseas copy.