Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > Poker Journals

Notices

Old 09-12-05, 06:20 PM

Raiseandfold.com's Journal

Old 09-12-05, 06:20 PM

ESPN Ruined Poker

This being the first entry in the journal, you might be thinking, why here. I love poker, I always have. A lot of time can be spent on bigger boards, and you get lost in the shuffle because of the next big topic overrides you.

I thought it would be neat to come here, and share some thoughts, and give some insights.

I think a lot of you would agree that ESPN basically ruined poker playing to some great extent. However it really did bring a lot of players to the table. The thing about these players is that is what they are, they see it on TV and figure they can emulate Josh Arieh. It simply isn\'t going to happen.

I think that\'s all for now, and will continue on this topic soon. If you have any comments, feel free to enter them.
Old 09-13-05, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Re: ESPN Ruined Poker

hey, i was wondering why you thought ESPN ruined poker?
Old 09-13-05, 10:46 PM

Why ESPN ruined poker.

I was asked the question as to why I think ESPN ruined poker.

The thought process behind this is really quite simple. Before ESPN how many people playing live games did you see wearing hats, glasses and i-pods.

Likely answer: NONE

The game of poker has changed even though the premise is still the same. Now people think they are the next Phil Ivey or Josh Arieh, and try to emulate it.

Let me give you an example I am playing in a live $100 rebuy and it isn\'t a big field but average, it\'s getting late and a guy gets busted out with a marginal hand at best. He doesn\'t shake hands or say NH, he goes off wondering why the other guy was in the hand, when his hand was totally dominated pre flop and after the flop. Then proceeds to storm off and anybody in his way got the sad stroy.

Reminded me of Mike Matusow, extreme yes, but I never saw this type of behaviour before live. Many years of playing, and many bad beats, never once have I said anything to anyone. Why? There is always the next hand.

The game of poker is a long term proposition, and you must treat it as such even in the bad times.

Thanks for the question, and I hope to see you at the poker room soon.
Old 09-18-05, 04:24 PM

Playing on Tilt

One of the toughest things for a player to learn is to minimize the tilt factor. We all do it, there isn\'t anyone that hasn\'t or won\'t.

Take a river beat, have KK capped preflop and til the river to see a board 476KJ

To see your opponent have 58 os, and you wonder why they were reraising you preflop with junk. And you lose a huge amount of money.

It\'s best to get up and walk away for a bit, or sit out if you\'re online. You\'re so fired up to show someone, I will show you.....instead you lose even more money, get even more mad, and then you are tiliting away.

The damage you do to your bankroll is hard to overcome in the short term, and in the long run you have to learn to take the beat and move on.

Easy to say tough to do. I like to have a notepad open, and just type what I feel and let it go, once I do that, I look at it, and laugh, and get back to business.

Something to think about next time you suffer a horrendous beat.

Good luck and see you at the tables.
Old 05-09-16, 10:46 PM

It's funny that when i get to Raiseandfold.com it drove me to [URL="http://poker.intertops.eu/"]http://poker.intertops.eu/[/URL]
Old 05-11-16, 09:03 PM

Okay now it's driving me to this [URL="http://linktomp3.com/"]soundcloud downloader[/URL] site