Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-20-05, 09:23 PM

Are Poker Nite Fundraisers the New "Home Game"?

A home game used to be 5 t0 8 guys that got together regularly for some poker. Now it's 20+ people playing tourneys at all stakes. Sooner or later they get too big and run the risk of getting busted. Outfits like mine, [url]www.top-pair.com[/url], represent the next step in the evolution of poker, at least that's the way it sems in Massachusetts. We're the bridge between the traditional home games, and the pro card room setting, which isn't legal in Ma. We offer safe & comfortable venues, big cash and cruise package prizes, and a fair split between the non-profit sponsor and the players. What does the recreational player think about poker fundraisers?
Old 03-21-05, 01:34 PM

Sounds like a great idea...plus all us regular players have a chance to play lots a newbies and get additional tourney experience...bravo...do anything down in FL?
Old 03-21-05, 03:18 PM

poker night fundraisers

The house is keeping way too much money in the poker fundraisers. The companies running these are making 5-10 thousand per day. a 200 player tournament with a 150 buy in pays out 12k but collects 30k. I can see a charity making a few thousand but this is redicoulous. Also in Mass licensing is becoming more difficult. These tournaments for some reason are very popular and are making a few companies very rich.
Old 06-09-05, 10:27 AM

Free Poker Tournaments

An extension of the fundraiser is now the free bar/tavern poker tournaments. Patrons can enter events sponsored by their local watering hole and havethe opportunity to win prizes while getting some tournament experience. Some of these establishments are forming poker leagues where the end-of-year ultimate grand prize is a seat at the World Series of Poker.

These events are a great way for people to feel like they are playing in a big time tournament without dropping $100-$10,000 on an entry.
Old 06-09-05, 01:53 PM
Administrator

i agree brofriend - the vig on charity tournaments is ridiculous. If too many of these charity tournaments keep doing this then the laws may change for the worse. The cops are already out to bust illegitimate charity tournaments.
Old 06-09-05, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

That is illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by brofriend
The house is keeping way too much money in the poker fundraisers. The companies running these are making 5-10 thousand per day. a 200 player tournament with a 150 buy in pays out 12k but collects 30k. I can see a charity making a few thousand but this is redicoulous. Also in Mass licensing is becoming more difficult. These tournaments for some reason are very popular and are making a few companies very rich.
I agree. Payouts are way too low. Nothing you can do about it though. Except for running these companies out of business by offering a cheaper product yourself. Or, just don't play them. The poker hype is making these companies a lot of money. Good for them.

P.S. Non-fundraiser tourneys take way too much overhead as well. I see it all the time. Hosting tourneys is more profitable than playing them. If you can remain under the radar of your local police...
Old 09-21-09, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree. Payouts are way too low. Nothing you can do about it though. Except for running these companies out of business by offering a cheaper product yourself. Or, just don't play them. The poker hype is making these companies a lot of money. Good for them.

P.S. Non-fundraiser tourneys take way too much overhead as well. I see it all the time. Hosting tourneys is more profitable than playing them. If you can remain under the radar of your local police...
I'm actually starting a poker club were opening in December on the South Shore. I agreee because I've been on both sides of this. 50/50 is the leagal way to do it. We are going to be paying 50% to charities and 50% payout to players (final table). It's fun and it beats driving to foxwoods or Rockingham park. Just so much BS in Mass with poker!

Paul
southshorepokerclub.org