Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk

Notices

Old 02-21-05, 06:37 PM
Unregistered

rookie

Did I do the right thing? I play in a regular monthly home game and for play money online. I have only been playing the game for about 7 months and have read about 4 books and still have a great deal to learn. During the home game, we play tournament style and this is the situation I encountered. We were down to 3 players and I was in the SB. The dealer folded and that left me heads up with the BB. At this point it cost me $500 to call the BB's $1000. The BB then proceeded to put me all in by raising me $800. Holding 9d9h in the hole, I called. The BB flipped over A 5 unsuited. He proceeded to catch and A on the turn and I was busted out of the tourney. Did I do the correct thing to call here, or should I have folded and waited with my $800 for one of the next two hands?
Old 02-21-05, 10:11 PM

If blinds were 500 and 1000, and you only had 1800 you definitely made the right play. Any pocket pair is a very good hand when that shortstacked, and pocket 9's is a good hand regardless of stack size or position. You were a 70 - 30 favorite over his A 5. You definitely made the right play, you just got outdrawn. I hate when that happens.
Old 02-22-05, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

i personally would of went all in from the small blind position with the 99. but you were not wrong to call him. he just outdrew you. bad luck
Old 02-22-05, 09:36 AM
Unregistered

Correct

Good call. All-in yourself might have been better. Either way, a bad beat.
Old 02-25-05, 11:23 AM
Unregistered

I agree - should have moved all in pre flop. It is not a bad beat however, he had the worst hand going into it
Old 02-25-05, 11:25 AM
Unregistered

Since when is a pocket pair a dog to one over card?? Would like to know where you get your odds from
Old 02-25-05, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

No bad beat?

Yeah, me too. Would love to play you though.
Old 02-25-05, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Any time - I play with my friends in a 5 cent 10 cent no limit game and i usually win. aces rule - i go all in everytime with and win
Old 02-27-05, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

was i right?

i am playing 1/2 no limit. i am bb and sb raises me 15$ we each have about 100$ in chips in front of us. i call in bb. flop comes Jc 10c 4c. he bets 20 i raise 20 he goes all in. i call. he has As Kd i have Qc and 9c. was i right?
Old 02-28-05, 09:59 PM
Unregistered

AK vs Q9

well it was a bad call by u pre flop calling a huge raise with q9s. i woluld have folded anythin less than pocket T's to dat kinda raise. and i wouldent even call that all in by him on the flop cuz he might have any pair or even a A has u beat. i would asume he only raised with AK Aq or JJ cuz thos r the hands ppl like to steal blinds. and q9 suited is a big under dog to any of these hands. even if the AK and AQ are not suited.
Old 03-01-05, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

Are you an idiot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Any time - I play with my friends in a 5 cent 10 cent no limit game and i usually win. aces rule - i go all in everytime with and win

You must be playing with your friends at the "special school" but hey, to play for 5/10 cents is a huge investment, so you are clearly a pro and know what you're talking about.
Old 03-01-05, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Can you give us some more great tips, Oh master and wizard of HE???
Old 03-01-05, 11:10 AM
Unregistered

say what you want but i am up almost $20 this year already

if i had the money i would play in the world series and would probably win or come close to winning. my friends all say i am a great player
Old 03-08-05, 12:30 PM

Everyone who tried out for Americal Idol is a great singer too....come on man I have a jar of change on my dresser growing faster than you're "bank roll".
Old 12-21-06, 02:51 AM

Quote:
if i had the money i would play in the world series and would probably win or come close to winning. my friends all say i am a great player
unless you played against The Ace (Me).

I made $1k from $60 while not even trying.

AoS
Old 06-15-08, 01:44 AM

I agree with most of the advice except the sarcastic. If 1/2 or .05/.10 make you happy then by all means do so you dont have to risk your rent and groceries to have fun. Going all in with pocket 9s from sb would have been the right play but calling the raise wasn't wrong. Limping in gave a weak hand the opportunity to out draw you that might have folded like a J 6 or something equally dumb, either way with an ace and u shortstacked he was gonna call and outdraw you he did.
Old 03-06-09, 12:09 PM

In that situation, if you are going to call $500 with a $1300 stack - and you know you are going to call any bet after the flop, you might as well go all in with your 9's pre-flop. It's a very good hand heads-up and you might actually get the BB to fold. If he calls you, well, chances are he has to draw out on you to win. Unfortunately that's what happened. Next time, all-in pre-flop though.
Old 04-01-11, 05:50 AM

i would asume he only raised with AK Aq or JJ cuz thos r the hands ppl like to steal blinds. and q9 suited is a big under dog to any of these hands. even if the AK and AQ are not suited.
Old 04-01-11, 05:50 AM

i would asume he only raised with AK Aq or JJ cuz thos r the hands ppl like to steal blinds. and q9 suited is a big under dog to any of these hands. even if the AK and AQ are not suited.

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 04-01-11 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-22-11, 11:08 AM

fold

its all in your gut at that time it you thought they may not work you shoulda folded i am real cosevative and love my ck n raise if i had not felt the 99 was good to his raise id fold hope for better feelin and cards and maybe they woulda taken oneothere out to pu u in second
Old 04-12-12, 04:20 PM

i would love to play all you donkeys