Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > COMMENTS

Notices

Old 02-01-04, 06:00 PM
Eli/laxd77

POKER INFO - PROILE - Robert Varkonyi

i dunno y, but he just annoys the hell out of me, i hate this guy. i think it's pretty obvious he's just a lucky stiff, cause he played horribly in the 2003 WSOP
Old 02-05-04, 06:00 PM
R_Varkhoni

"Yeah well, I'm not so fond of you either"
Old 02-06-04, 06:00 PM
Kansas City Kid

I dont get it...if you have a poker coach then why isnt he playing in the tournament instead of you Rob??
Old 02-10-04, 06:00 PM
Ian

I don't know why so many players dismiss Varkhoni. Sure, he might not be Johnny Chan, but he's a very dangerous player... all the more dangerous if he is taken for granted.
Old 02-12-04, 06:00 PM
rookie

mit. enough said. the guy is not a gamber, just another analyitical idiot.
Old 02-14-04, 06:00 PM
nick baby

u can kind varkhoni playing at the 6-12 table at the borgata because he's broke. The next day after he won the wsop 2002 he lost big money to doyle. hahaha this guy sucks. I played with him at borgata he's no good. Every good player whats this asshole at there table..... hes a joke
Old 02-22-04, 06:00 PM
case ase

I would play him heads up any time for any amount.
Old 02-29-04, 06:00 PM
smallstakessammy

I would like to see Varkoni and MM on celebrity poker..They would probaly finish somewhere behind David Schwimmer..They are a couple of very lucky a..holes!!! P.S. Moneymaker's Dad and RV 'scoach had way too much tv time. They may be more clueless than the other two...
Old 03-07-04, 06:00 PM
fatboy

yep he got lucky won lots of money but he is still a nerd
Old 03-10-04, 06:00 PM
Ogre Padinowski

Nerd!!! Nerd!!!! Nerd!!!!
Old 03-17-04, 06:00 PM
Curious

It is so interesting how someone can do well in something and just because they dont do it everytime they suck, I think i would trade bank accounts for sure. Heck I would borrow the luck that you all say he had if it made me money luck that.
Old 03-25-04, 06:00 PM
Jake

Robert is my favorite poker player. He displayed masterful skill and intuition at the WSOP. I have modeled my game according to him. He may be the greatest of all time.
Old 03-25-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

just cuz he's bald and he has glasses doesnt make him a nerd you assholes!!!!! AND! luck cant win you the whole damn tourny you dumbass!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-04, 06:00 PM
Roy Batty

A flash in the pan.Granted,a 2 million flash in the pan isnt bad at all.This guy will never make it to the final tabel ever again.
Old 04-12-04, 06:00 PM
the dude

What Is A Man Going To Do When He Has Pocket Kings And Scotty N. Has Pocket Aces?i Would Of Gone All In, Wouldn't You?
Old 04-17-04, 06:00 PM
Gman

Yeah, there is no way I wouldn't at least see a flop with that hand but did Robert not say, "I knew he had aces." Or, well you know what he said, "I knew it." That shows he didn't deserve to be a champion, he doesn't even trust his instincts. I would have ended up all-in most likely as well, although I may have just called the reraise there considering how early in the tournament this is. If an ace didn't come on the flop, and it wasn't like a straight 3 card flush draw on the flop, I'd probably move all-in...unlucky for him, but he didn't even trust his instincts. Not good...
Old 04-26-04, 06:00 PM
R_Varkhoni

You guys are all pretty dense. To think that my 02' championship was all luck is ludicrous! I made solid plays, especially with Q-10, and we all got to see Phil shave his head. Watch out for me this month.
R_Varkhoni

PS., "thnx to those of you who wrote supportive comments"
dallas rounder

Varkhoni is a dweeb. Even if he was the greatest poker player alive, I wouldn't mind going heads up against him with a low stack.
Old 04-29-04, 06:00 PM
greghemphill

It really kills me, all these people saying RV will never get to a wsop final table again. These people have never been to a WSOP table themselves and they are saying a player who not only makes a final table but wins the whole enchalada cannot repeat the feat. I think the ridiculousness inherent speaks for itself. I watched RV on espn and found him not only to be an excellent player but an extremely courteous one. he was exceptionally gracious about the fact that that goofball "celebrity" Phil Hellmuth kept trying to place himself at the centre of the whole event. Now that's class. Very New York. I know it was two years ago, but well done Robert!
Old 05-05-04, 06:00 PM
Burt

he plays Q-10 like it's QQ, KK, AA , or AK, give me a break. Was it even suited?From what I saw, I believe I could play this guy and win, and I'm no great player by any means (I'm not bad, but certainly do not consider myself great).
Old 05-09-04, 06:00 PM
Matt

Playing 10-12 hours a day over a 5 day tournament, Varkonyi played from 50-60 hours of poker. You saw what, a half hour of that on ESPN? Everyone who makes the final table has to have lucky breaks, but that does not mean that luck alone can carry you to the final table. To respond to burt's comment on the Q-10: in my view, Varkonyi played all of those Q-10's well. If you would take a minute to consider how deep his stack was, how much was already in the pot and how much his opponent pushed in for, the amount in the pot and the chance to knock out an opponent more than compensated for him taking the 40-45 end of either a 60-40 of 55-45. Just because he was taking the short end of the stick does not mean he is a poor player--indeed, knowing that he had enough equity in the pot to become involved shows that he understands the game a lot more deeply than many of his critics . . .
Old 05-11-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

man theres so many jerks posting comments on here. I like watching this guy play and I don't see how luck can win you the whole wsop. so all you guys need to keep your mouths shut.
Old 05-19-04, 06:00 PM
JR.

Not the greatest ever by no means, but he did win the WSOP more than I can say for myself. I have been in the money 1 time out of 5, its not easy and takes a bit of luck. What you see on "TV" is about 1% of the entire event. You see the "lucky draws", the "big bluffs" the "bad beats". You do not see the very solid play of the other 50 hours of the week that is not on TV. Robert is a good player and has a chace to make the final table again, just like anyone else out there that knows how to play the game on our level, and with time and effort anyone can learn to do just that. Congrats Robert and hope to see you at the final at any big one.
Old 05-22-04, 06:00 PM
John Baker

In my opinion, no luck was involved in his tournament win. He is by far the best poker player ever to play the game.
Old 05-26-04, 06:00 PM
Jerry Rimmer/CooLMoDi/J_Rimz

Robert varkoni is just a lucky guy, he might be decent at poker but he had very very very little chance in winning in 2002 in 2003 he got trounced, he even said "i knew he had aces" if he thought u was beat why didnt he fold?> its better to lay it down then to hope u catch a king but to everyone who disses him he did altight in the 2004 he at least made it past the first day and the guy who said he would like to go up against him with a short stack, i say he would probably get owned because varkoni would more thna likely mop the floor with you, and make u look like a chump.prediction for wsop 2004, JESUS 2nd Harrington 1st
Old 05-26-04, 06:00 PM
JJJ

This guy is living proof that "Anything can happen". He is down right awful. How do I know this? Because I knocked him out of a NL tourney, and I am only an above average player at the moment. The guy made a horrible button move, all-in with Q-7 suited after I had raised in front of him with K-K. Bad read you say? Yep, and it wasn't the first one i saw him make at that table, calling a small stack all-in with A-J in his hand with K-K-7 on the flop?? Say good-bye to another 6800 in chips Bobby! Yeah he's got a braclet and i don't but i know it was way more luck than skill. Any one can win...for sure
Old 06-05-04, 06:00 PM
VABORIS

Oh my god this guy is horrible. In the 2003 WSOP he had the nerve to bluff Scoty Nguyen once with nothing and then got delt KK and said he "knew" that Nguyen was holding AA under but went all in pre-flop anyways. What a complete and total dipshit. This dork has never been laid. And he's married.
Old 06-08-04, 06:00 PM
STU UNGAR IS BEST

Ok, let's be real. This guy won the WSOP 2002 so he's clearly not terrible. He did get a little lucky and he's CERTAINLY not the best or even close to the best player in poker but he's good enough to win. I'm not a fan of his but I don't want to hear anyone who hasn't won a WSOP event knock him.......not until they win one at least. Even more aggrevating is these people who are saying that he is the best of all time. Come on guys, get real. Nice win Rob. Always good to see something like that happen to Phil Hellmuth, lol. P.S. Phil Hellmuth is an unbelievable player people, maybe the best in the game when he's focused and not getting rattled when people come over the top of him.
Old 06-14-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

He was extemely lucky to win the 2002 WSOP. But then again all winners need a certain amount of luck to survive and win the championship. However, in the long run Varkonyi has shown to be a loser! He has not a won a major tournament since. The same cannot be said for last year's champ Chris Moneymaker, he was recently shown at a final WTP table. Moneymaker is a true poker player worthy of being a world champ. Varkonyi SUCKS!