Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > COMMENTS

Notices

Old 09-13-04, 06:00 PM
Sammy the Brick

Ivey never wrote a book and GOrdon i'm not sure but he hasn't either
Old 09-13-04, 06:00 PM
Marina

Sammy the Brick: did you read the post right before yours, from Stud7? He mentions that Phil Gordon did write a book, which is due out for national distribution on October 1. Phil's website mentions the book's title as well as all the major cities he's scheduled to visit on his book's promotional tour over the next few months (with none of those cities being here in VA). On a side note... portions of the book's proceeds are being donated to Phil's CRPF charity. You'd be supporting the fight against cancer by buying his book! :-)
Old 09-15-04, 06:00 PM
pocket7s

man all i did was my opinion and that is what this site is for, if you dont like what post dont read, its that simple
Old 09-16-04, 06:00 PM
Marina

Pocket7s: as you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine. In my opinion, I believed you were making judgements against Phil, not just voicing your opinions. It was completely unfair of you to say Phil wouldn't make it to the final table if he entered so many events a year. As a matter of fact, Phil DID make it to the final table at the Bay 101 Shooting Stars Tournament earlier this year. For everyone out there, this tournament will be re-aired I believe on the Travel channel on 9/24/04 (next Wednesday). When's the last time YOU made it to a final table?
Old 09-16-04, 06:00 PM
pocket7s

are right first off im 15 i dont exactly play on the wpt retard and yes all give phil his do he played well at 101 shooting stars, but thats 1 event now a real player like gus hansen makes like a billion final tables and is always consistent so to me thats a pro, phil on the other hand doesnt play at level so hey if you want me to gives congrats fine, nice work phil, now stop kissing up to the dude hes not that cool
Old 09-21-04, 06:00 PM
amy

i love phil...i think he is great for the game and i wish him continued success. isn't half of poker luck? well, when you sell before the internet bubble bursts, i consider you pretty lucky. ain't nothing wrong with that. on the final table tonight w/the chip lead...GO PHIL!
Old 09-21-04, 06:00 PM
Kathryn

Phil Gordon is hot
Old 09-22-04, 06:00 PM
GSman

Just saw him last night on Travel Channel win his first major event in WSP. Was really glad to see him win as he seeks to be a really nice guy, irregardless of his wealth.
pocket7s

101 bay shooting stars of poker, man if phil screwedthat chip lead up he really have to be bad, his poker sucked but 1, he had the massive chip lead,2, everyone elses, i wasnt impressed i mean who there could possibly pose a threat to phil, c. moneymaker, yeah right that guy sucks, yet phil still found a way to screw up in the beginning but i guess he won i only saw the begining and fell asleep due to bordom
Marina

I would have liked to have seen Phil's plays before last night's Shooting Stars Final Table. Phil came into the final table with the chip lead but none of us really got to see how those chips came to him. Was it luck, or was it fine play? Anyway, it was very nice to see Phil win the final hand, although he was incredibly lucky that the ace turned up on the flop. Of course, it was even luckier when the turn and the river turned out not to help either Moneymaker or Musoud (sp?). But kudos to Phil, for getting an extra $5g's for knocking out Moneymaker (something about a kill shot? I have no idea what that was about).On a completely different issue, Phil, love that poem your aunt wrote about you! ;-D
Old 09-23-04, 06:00 PM
Janet/Gigohead/gigohead

I have become quite a fan of his. He is so unpretenious that I had no clue about his wealth. I was actually quite surprised he was my age. What I like about Phil, as opposed to Norman Chad, he is not critical of the person, only their poker play. Norman Chad has a chip for anyone who is young and attractive. Phil keeps focused on the person's play.
Old 09-25-04, 06:00 PM
dusty/hotdogking/robertchicken

I think phil is great to watch and listen to. His WPT win was amazing, and, despite what some of you are saying...he deserved it. Phil rocks, he is the main reason I watch celebirty poker on Bravo!
Old 09-28-04, 06:00 PM
Marina

Dusty/HotDogKing: I absolutely agree with you! He is the main reason I watch Bravo's C.P.S., and he is the main reason I watch poker in general. His WPT win was fantastic, even if I do think luck had a hand in that last pot. Hey, did anybody catch Phil on Dennis Miller's show? If so, what did you think? :-)
Old 10-02-04, 06:00 PM
Jim /hawkwing08

I watch bravo poker every week.I would like to see just the nascar drivers play head to head think it would be great for charity and fun to watch.and I personally learn alot from Phil helps my game alot,what little game i have.lol
Old 10-05-04, 06:00 PM
pocket7's DOESN'T KNOW POKER

Historically the same guys have always made final tables for good reason: they are smart and consistant poker players. Recently the ammount of people entering tournaments have sky-rocketed which means that unknowns will sometimes beat pros and even win. HOLDEM INVOLVES VARIANCE. That is how "amatures" beat "pros." Also, we see a VERY small percentage of actual hands played on TV. It's near impossible to determine how good a player is by watching a few selected/edited hands. There are great players out there who get KO'd on the first day of a tourney all the time. I also doubt a guy who hosts a poker show, has a new book out, etc...has the time to be in every WPT event. And yes, the celebs suck at poker for the most part...they are celebs...not pros. Phil's analysis of their amature play is beneficial to any newbie who hears it. Phil is a good guy (I've met him) and a solid player.
Old 10-06-04, 06:00 PM
CP.

Sat and played a few hands with Phil last night at the Knob Creek whiskey Poker event @ Jay Z's club 40/40. He's really bright & sharp, as well as an all around nice guy.
Old 10-09-04, 06:00 PM
Norma/ Normis/ ndelgado

I just love poker and I love the way you explain everything on celeberty poker. I play with my co-wokers and I am really good at time, most of the time. It has been that on several occations I have one up to $110 a night, small money for a small town girl. But anyway I really enjoy your program. Hope to see more of you in the future.
Old 10-09-04, 06:00 PM
Marina

Congrats, Normis, on winning $110! I'd love to be able to make that claim, too! Perhaps you'll meet Phil someday and get to play him heads up! hehe!
Old 10-10-04, 06:00 PM
pocket7s

really huh last time i checked the amount of entries in the wpt events hasnt stopped gus hansen from making final tables so maybe phil knows alot about poker but that doesnt nessacerily mean hes a good player
Old 10-10-04, 06:00 PM
Molly/atrayitic

I just adore Phil so mush. He seems very humble and down to earth.Celebrity Poker Showdown is great for the simple fact that he's on it.I wish him continued success in life!
Old 10-16-04, 06:00 PM
Marina/Mae/comcast.net

Phil does seem very genuine and humble, at least to me, but I think I'd like to ask if he has any "religious" beliefs, and whether or not those beliefs have played a part in how he lives, plays poker, etc... Perhaps I'll someday get the chance to ask him. *wink*
Old 10-17-04, 06:00 PM
jeffrey the player

phil made the final table at the wsop main event in 2001.....nobody mentioned that....thats a huge deal....
Old 10-18-04, 06:00 PM
ctrekrule

In just the last six months I have become very interested in Texas Holdem poker. As old as I am, I keep wondering where I've been all my life. I became acquainted with it through Celebrity Poker and watching the players, though many may make some unbelieveable moves, I've gained a lot in "what not to do" as well as "what to do". Thanks to Phil Gordon who is able to communicate to those of us who are just beginners to the game. Thank you Phil and I hope some day when I make my many trips to Vegas, I'll be able to meet you. I know your father must be proud of you as I would be to have a son like you. Congratulations on your success and true happiness to you in the future. Keep teaching Poker - I'm learning a lot.
Old 10-18-04, 06:00 PM
Marina

Hey, did any of you notice the comment Phil made this past Sunday on Celebrity Poker Showdown? Dennis Rodman, the eventual winner, was doing things that kept Phil guessing about his actions the entire game! Phil even said after one of Dennis' moves that obviously Phil didn't know anything about the game! LOL!! But it was classic Dennis Rodman, the unpredictability and the sheer bravado that is so much a part of Dennis' persona. I can't wait to see/hear what Phil's comments will be when we see Dennis sit at the championship table. *Mae is eagerly looking forward to November!*
Old 10-19-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

Phil mentioned homepokergames.com in his new book
pocket7s

oh i didnt know he made the main event final table in 2001
pocket7s

well all be damned 4th place finisher not bad
pocket7s

wow if i recall that was the year phil helmuth and mike matusow, dewey tomko, some of the greats not bad wow didnt even remember him
Old 10-20-04, 06:00 PM
DR. DAVID SHAFFER/SOCKDOCS

I Have An Invention That Deals With Texas Holdem, I Dont Need Venture Capital, But I Do Need To Speak Tophil Gordon On His Expertise In Exchange For Royaltyagreement On New Invention!
Old 10-23-04, 06:00 PM
astro54

I was astonished to read here that Phil Gordon sold a company he owned for 96 million. Watching him on Celebrity Poker, I would have never guessed that he was so wealthy. Why? Because he is so nice and down-to-Earth on the show. He has none of the affectations that wealthy poker so often exhibit. I've learned so much from his commentating, and he and Dave Foley make a great television team. The negative comments about him seem ridiculous and self-serving. How many millionaires do you know that would offer their time in exchange for donations to a charity like cancer research. Not time spent just showing up for a few minutes at a charity event, but actually offering to spend time on the phone with real people to benefit other people with serious needs. He shames the vast majority of the other mega-millionaires who easily help those less fortunate but who just can't find the time. Phil seems like the kind of guy you would meet and never know he was so wealthy. And not only does he have the money going for him, he's obviously incredibly intelligent and is not a snob about either. As for those who thinks he resembles Nicholas Cage, I can't see it at all, either in voice or physical attributes. He is far better looking than Cage. Phil does have very kind eyes, and if they are truly windows to the soul, then they speaks volumes about his character. I have learned so much about a game that I previously knew nothing about, even though I'm a native Texan (if indeed that's where Texas Hold 'Em originated). The world would be a better place if there were more people like Phil who don't forget about the little people when they make it big.