Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 11-30-04, 01:31 PM
Dave

connecters

Wanted to hear your thoughts on playing connecters whether they're suited or not. Iv'e been playing them lately, regardless of rank and having pretty good luck.
Old 11-30-04, 03:06 PM
Chad

I'm a sucker for connectors...

I love connectors, especially suited ones like J 10. I especially like suited connectors when there are many people in the pot. The chances are that most of these people have an A or pocket pair or 2 overcards of some sort. So, if you have th 7 8 suited, and you hit a 7 or an 8 and there are no A,Q, or K on the board off of the flop, chances are that you are in the lead, unless you are playing crappy players that are holding 8 2 suited or 9 4 off. Also, you would most likely have a higher probability of hitting a str8 or a flush off of a middle flop. (Just hope you opponents aren't holding 2 higher cards of the same suit, which would be somewhat unlikely)

However, if you see your 7 or 8s paired and there is a Q-A on the board, and you have no double-ended draws or flush draws, you should prolly run away.
-Chad
Old 12-01-04, 07:16 PM

I used to not play off suit connectors much. One day when my friends and I played... I played some off suit connectors and was pretty lucky with them. Anyway, I love suited connectors and off suit connectors are alright to play sometimes.
Old 12-03-04, 11:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Alaskan
I dunno, I remember seeing Phil Ivey play 6-7 off in the 2003 WSOP against Freddie Deeb and how he would of gotten all of Deeb's chips if he hadn't gotten a 2-outer, and I realize the tilt factor is higher with a 6-7 off than a 6-7 suited, but without the suits you cut down on one of your most consistent draws- the flush. With suited connecting cards I've always played them like small pairs. I get in the flop cheaply and if I miss I run. If I hit the hand I play the player to get the most chips out of him or her, but usually a slowplay is in order because your hand is hidden so well. With connectors I want to flop a cheap two pair, trips, flush, or straight. The most likely one is the flush because of the number of cards I can catch in comparison to the cheap two pairs and trips and straights. Oftentimes a flush draw in addition to a pair will be what makes me continue past the flop as well. So when you cut the suited part out you take away a lot of your chances giving you odds too slim to usually justify going into the pot in the first place.
Old 01-23-05, 10:30 PM
Unregistered

I have to agree with what I've read so far. Unsuited connectors are alright to play from a somewhat late position if a lot of people have dropped out and the flop is cheap. Suited connectors have a lot of possibilities, especially when you're against a guy who follows Sklansky's book like a bible. My personal opinion is that I like playing 6-7s or 7-8 suited more than J-Ts. Reason being that 7-8s is easier to get away from if the flop doesn't hit you really well. An 8 high flop, more times than not, means your 8s are still good against a decent raise (barring an overpair, 8-8 (which is very unlikely if you can see 2 of them) or A-8s and K-8s if a flush draw hits. A ten high flop is difficult for some to ditch with J-Ts even though A-T, K-T, and Q-T are very possible from a big raiser. It's all about playing hands that don't take a lot of skill to decide to bet or fold.
Old 01-25-05, 12:09 AM
Unregistered

i disagree with the last post. i feel the only time you should play them is with a lot of people seeing the flop otherwise the money in the pot doesnt justify playing them since youre going on as an underdog. if not alot of people are going to see the flop you should either raise with them to try to steal and if that doesnt work you have a lot that can happen so you have 2 ways of winning the pot (everyone folds or you make a hand) or fold. Just calling doesnt make sense unless there is at least 3 others in the pot. So i say the more the merrier if i am giong in as a underdog i would rather do it with 5 people so if my hand gets made im getting 5 to 1 on my money since my hand more than not will end up as nothing
Old 01-25-05, 01:05 PM

suited connectors

I will not play them in the first few positions but if Im acting late I will limp in with them. They can really catch ppl off guard when you show them the straight to their overpair. How many times have we won a hand from the big blind and we call it a big blind special. This is no different if the flop is cheap and you hit bet big. Remember 65% of bets in a poker game are the blinds and the calls before the flop. You must play to steal them and if you win more by winning the showdown then that is great.

Herbiedeals
Old 01-25-05, 08:12 PM

I was the one who mad the post on the 25th about the connectors. I cant believe the post after mine. The notion of only playing connectors with 5 callers can only be described as stupidity. Ask any GOOD player and they'll tell you that they wouldn't want 5 people drawing at aces much less 7-8s. You've got a better chance of being ahead against one player if an 8 high flop hits than trying to figure out what 4 others have. Then again, I have probably been too technical as it is since this guy sees only "2 ways of winning a hand, everyone else folds or you hit." This guy would rather go in as an underdog getting 5 to 1 and have almost no chance of winning compared to getting 2 to 1 and having a good chance with a good flop. This is the kind of guy who will always have a seat at my weekly poker games, he would rather lose a big pot than win a small one! Rediculous.
Old 01-26-05, 11:56 AM
Blue

Holding connecters

If there are a lot of players in on the flop you almost need to hit the straight or flush (or at least a draw at it) with a potential big win. If there are only a few players in on the flop pairing the board may do it (and give you a smaller pot). I can see both points of view.
Old 03-15-05, 05:53 PM
Unregistered

Cool

i think u should always switch it up. suited connectors are great.i sometimes raise with suited connectors. its very sneeky people put u on ak aa kk qq. so when the flop comes with all rags and u have a piece you end up being way ahead. of ak and other high cards. if u get raised or reraised its easy to letem go. ive hit and taken down some of the biggest pots with connectors.
its always good to switch gears so players cant get a good read on u.cuz when they think u have trash cuz u play alot of different cards.u will definately get paid off with the monster.but be careful u need to be a very good player after the flop cuz connectors can get u in trouble
Old 03-15-05, 06:24 PM

Suited connectors are good to play for cheap.

I love suited connecters, but they are definitely overrated. You have to catch 3 of 5 more cards to str8 or flush. Pretty slim chance unless you bluff.
Old 04-12-05, 05:12 PM
Unregistered

lots of callers or few?

i agree with the point of view of post no. 26, and disagree with no. 25 & his followup. you are playing this hand to hit a straight, two pair, or a set. you are not playing it to try to win against one or two players with your pair of 8's. that's just dumb because you lose to any higher pocket pair plus the guy who sticks around and pairs his high card. if, like me, you like to limp in late with connectors against a bunch of callers, bail if you don't hit a big hand with them - don't try to win with a pair of 8's.

mOntecOre
Old 04-12-05, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

correction

i screwed up - i agree with post #6, and disagree with post nos. 5 and 8. but the beauty of poker is everyone has a different approach. if not, it wouldn't be so easy to win money every week.

mOntecOre