Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-06-04, 09:12 AM
randommale

raise with a flush draw?

I've seen tons of players play flush draws aggressively on the flop by raising with them. They also reraise if they are raised. What do oyu think?

They tend to do it more if they have overcards with it or a pair with it.
Old 10-07-04, 02:42 PM

Raising on the flop with a flush draw isn't a bad play if there's a chance you can get a few people to fold. For me, if I have a flush draw I want to narrow the field quickly in case I don't hit my flush and have to fall back on top pair or two pair.

In real loose low-limit games when you know no one's going to fold, being aggressive with a flush draw could really bite you in the a$$ because there's a good chance everyone will call and chances are someone else has a simillar or better draw.

I'm guessing that's what the people you've seen are trying to do... weed out the chasers and hope for the best.
Old 10-07-04, 02:57 PM
Administrator

To me, I think you raise in 2 conditions - against 1-2 players or aginst 5 or more. You raise against 1 or 2 players hoping that they fold and you win the hand - and you have outs if they dont. Against 5 or more people you raise for value - hoping that they call.
Old 10-18-04, 10:06 PM

i agree, raise to semi bluff, but i wouldn't reraise with it... and if you do hit one of your outs, there is more money in the pot
Old 10-19-04, 10:16 AM

some players will do it late in position to try and get a free card also
Old 10-22-04, 07:08 AM
Chad

No

I would initiate a fairly large bet, but I wouldn't raise someone else's. I might not even call if the bet that they made was big enough. You are only 30% to win from the flop and 25% on the turn.

Now if I had let's say top pair and a flush draw from the flop, that would be a different story. If the top pair was high, I would play very aggressive. If the top pair was something like a 6, I would be as aggressive as how high my flush draw is.
Old 01-03-05, 09:31 PM
Unregistered

flush draws

In low limit I prefer to open and get as many bets in on the flop with the nut flush draw. If I open and am raised, i cap it. That one extra Small bet on the flop also helps to disguise your hand ( Imagine if u had flopped top set..it would be played exactly the same way). If u miss on the turn try to keep it cheap but even if u have to cold call 2 bets the extra bets on the flop give u the correct odds to pursue your draw.
Old 01-04-05, 12:53 PM
Chad

The correct odds?!

If you are going against top pair, you are only about %30 before the turn and 25% before the river to win. So, actually, those would be the incorrect odds. You are probably one of those people who plays crap hands and gets lucky if this strategy actually works for you.
Old 01-04-05, 05:46 PM
UNCfever

There are situations where you can raise with a flush draw. Now there are a few things in order for me to do this.

1) I must have 4 cards to the flush on the draw, no exceptions.

2) Must be nut flush draw either holding the ACE or highest card possible if board holds only what can beat you.

3) I have top pair, or in late position, and everybody checks to me, bet to eliminate players.

4) Knowing my table, do I have players that will set traps and know I am aggressive and let me bet for them?

5) To change up my game so opponents don't always know when I am on a flush draw myself.

6) It's not something you want to do everytime. More as a change of pace to keep your opponents guessing.

7) To get a free card cheaper.

8) You have to be comfortable playing this way and if your sixth sense tells you to get out of the hand, listen sometimes.

9) Never do this is the board has an ace, and another value paired,like 5's. Many opponents will play ACE+anything and have the full house.
Old 01-05-05, 11:46 AM
Chad

I agree with UNC.