Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 05-25-10, 07:33 PM

Bet sizing Strategy

I am working on my bet sizing, and I do well with hand defense.

I need to work on value betting.

I understand everything is situational, so I am courious about how to size your bet properly to push out flush/straight draws and keep other hands in.

I understand that you do not give them odds, but in doing that arent you also pushing out all hands you beat, and keeping in all hands that beat you?
Old 05-26-10, 02:43 AM
Administrator

It seems that what you are talking about is where you have the best hand and you are playing against multiple players where you have one of them beat and the other one is trying to draw out on you. It also seems like you are trying to look at it as two seperate bets. In my opnion, most of the time it won't work out this way. Usually, the person on the draw will be more likely to call than the guy with the second best hand (which may turn into the third best hand).

The correct way to do this, is to calculate the implied odds of the total pot and include the amount of the guy that you have beat into the pot value. Since this makes the final pot biggeer, it gives the draw player better implied odds to draw, which means that you have to make a larger to keep the guy from drawing.
Old 06-07-10, 05:48 AM

If your opponent is dead-set on calling, he is going to call no matter what the bet size. So by betting the smaller amount, you save money when you are called!
Old 06-18-10, 04:29 AM

But i guess as you go along with playing poker, you’ll be able to know how to bet properly.