Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-06-04, 09:17 AM
randommale

Getting outdrawn

How do you deal with being drawn out on? I was watching the WSOP last nite and saw Men the Master flop top set. The amatuer flopped a flush draw. Men goes all-in and the other guy calls. The amatuer is about a 36% favorite but hit his flush to win. Men looked like he was gonna kill the guy. I believe in going all-in with the best of it but that early in the tournament you have to balance survival with aggression. Do you just put out medium bets until you see that the river is not dangerous?
Old 10-07-04, 05:16 AM

I didn't see that particular hand.... how did Men and the other player bet pre-flop? What were their respective hole cards? Did one of them have the short stack? What was the other players table image? You said it was early in the tourney so I assume it was a full table. All of these things would determine how I played my hand.

Of course you didn't ask about how I would play the hand so I'll get back to your question now If you play poker you're going to get outdrawn and/or have your share of bad beats. The best way to "deal" with it is to be happy with the way you played it based on all of the available information. it's never fun

Lug
Old 10-13-04, 11:36 AM
Unregistered (Chad)

It sucks

I usually get the right reads on people. The only way I lose is by being outdrawn by some lucky dumbass. It sucks. Poker is 75% luck though, I would say.
Old 10-13-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered (Braydon)

Wow Chad, you sound a lot like Phil Helmuth... if you are good enough you never get outplayed, either I better start seeing you on TV, or you play with shitty players.
Old 10-14-04, 12:44 PM
Unregistered (Chad)

Well, I have been outplayed before. But generally, I get outdrawn. I don't really mind getting outplayed because that means I lost to the better player. I'll tell you about the worst bad beat to an outdraw: It's a $100 buy in nl holdem game. Down to me and 2 others. This guy raises me preflop. I make a small re-raise to make him pot committed. He raises back. I put all of my chips in, doubling the pot. He calls without blinking. I have pocket Aces against his J 5 off suit. The community cards ended up being K2525, giving that loser the full house. I mean, who calls with a J 5?! I played it perfectly, did I not? In most games, luck generally beats me, but I have been outplayed a few times here and there. But I guess that last post I made made me sound kinda like Phil Hellmuth. So, I guess maybe I deserved that, but no more of the Hellmuth calling, that hurts! LOL
Old 10-17-04, 09:02 PM

i just smile and say nice hand cause i know that if the other person got lucky and called bets that they never should have, in the end ill win their money.
Old 10-22-04, 08:50 PM

it's not really worth it to get angry when you get out drawn, The odds will even out. sooner or later you will draw out on someone else...
Old 11-03-04, 11:58 AM

It really depends on what outdraws me. If the person has like 15 outs and beats me, I generally don't mind. But if the other person needs only one or two cards in the deck to win and he gets it, then I prepare to exact my revenge.
Old 11-18-04, 05:44 AM
aceferret

Cool

I just smile, make a note on the guy and hopefully take my chips back from him later. People like him pay my rent.
Old 11-22-04, 11:20 PM
Opeboy

Cool

If your a real poker player(ie. addict) you will learn that, like everything else, you take the good with the bad. Its impossible not to get mad over a bad beat, but its all about how you express it. Mathias Anderson for example i believe has no place around a poker table until he grows up a little. Poker isn't a sport like football where you yell at each other and make a scene. Its a gentlemans game like fencing, you have equal respect for everyone around you regardless of how well they play the game. You can drop that respect as soon as you see they don't deserve it, but making a scene in my opinion has no excuse. And if your rockets lose to a 23 off, just sit down and accept it and make a comment like "nice hand". Everyone knows you were just part of a bad beat, there is no reason to carry on and try to prove a point that is obvious.

And you get more numb to bad beats that the years roll on. You learn that you won your fair share of bad beats but you have also lost your share(or more than your share as it will always seem). But you know what? IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!

Suck it up, sit down, and play.
Old 11-26-04, 08:03 AM
mark

Out Drawn/bad beats

Think about this Gents....if you get mad when someone gets a bad beat on your your crazy...a bad beat only happens when someone else makes a mistake.....we all love our other players to make mistakes, thats how we win....sometimes mistakes pay off, most of the time they don't...Cheers

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 05-09-13 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 02:02 PM
Dr. J

Talking about bad beats/being outdrawn (and how to deal with it): check out Bill Filmaff's Secret System...

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 05-09-13 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 08:25 PM

It does happen to everyone,, thats poker. I just put myself in his shoes and decide if it was a call that I would have made, if it was, good for him, if not, he's an idiot. Its great when people play that way in a cash game. If you know what your doing, you'll clean them out. however, in a tourney, you only got one chance. My last tourney on friday. 3 guys left. top 2 got paid. I was KJ suited, raised 3 times the blind preflop. both guys called, flop hit J63, they both chk, I go all in, all are chip stacks are about even. I get called by a moron on 24 , he snaps a five on river. I shook his hand and left, just hoping I get to sit at a table with him again.