Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-27-07, 09:49 AM

Question HELP! We need opinions about various home game rules

I have some basic questions.

We play a fairly large (14 to 25 players) game here in Buenos Aries every week and are trying to refine it a little. Every week there are a different number of players. We have found a number of issues that arise and would LOVE to get some feedback.

1) This one seems to be a BIG point of disagreement. Once we go to 10 players we separate it into 2 tables of 5. However, once 1 table loses a player and is playing with 4 players they always seem to want to merge to make one table of 9. The people with the 5 players always complain. (until the next week when THEY are at the table with 4...hehe).

2) As it is a casual game and it is difficult for people to always arrive on time, any suggestions on a penalty (or cut off time) for people arriving late?

3) Any idea on how to set up the blinds (or a program or chart that can do it automatically) as every week there are a different number of players and yet we really like to end at around the same time. That has been a real challenge.

4) We do allow rebuys and then a last addon, when do you think the last addon should be at?

I would LOVE to get some feed back on these as we are building a permanent game and it would be great to just have it all worked out and not have to think about anything but playing!

PS...If you are planning a trip to Buenos Aires (which I highly recommend) drop me a line and come play!

Daniel
Old 01-27-07, 03:55 PM
Administrator

1. Instead of seperating when you get to 10 players why not just wait until you get to 9 and th en separate. This way you don't have to separate twice. I believe this is what the WPT does. Their final table only has like 8 or 9 people.

2. You could give everyone a stack and have their stack "blinded down". This means that if they are not at the game yet then the dealer posts their blinds for them. If they show up then they play with whatever stack they have left. This is what the World Series of Poker does. Everyone knows Phil Helmuth always many times arrives late for the main event. Of course, they pay ahead of time so you should only do this for people who you know will actually come.

3. Google for - poker tournament manager. Ther eshould be some good free programs.

4. If the tourney is 2-3 hours then the last add-on is usually about a half-hour into the tournament. When you create a blinds structure most people usually put the last add-on around the end of the second level.
Old 05-10-07, 06:31 PM

kkiley has a lot of it right.

1) When playing with more than 1 table, all tables should remain balanced. Tables should have only 9 players. 21 players=3 tables of 7. 19 players=2tables of 6 & 1 of 7. Keep them even until you have 9 players remaining then form a final table of 9.
2) The starting time should not be flexible. SET the time maybe allow for players to get in up to 10 minutes late no later. If someone won't be able to make that time but you know for sure they are coming, put their stack on the table as if they were there and autofold their cards and post their blinds.
3) Set up a blind structure.
4) I like rebuy periods to be 1/4 of the tourny time. If you want a 4 hour game, let the rebuy last 1 hour. 2 hour game= 30 minute rebuy.
After the rebuy period, allow for a short break for players to rest and addon. Addon can also vary in my opinion. It can be equal to the number of starting chips or 4/3 the original amount which actually encourages addons to build the size of the pot b/c you are getting a deal by adding on.

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 04-18-13 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-16-07, 11:51 AM

Smile here's my opinion

When you get down to 9 players form one table. This is the most logical solution. That way chip stack or short stack your odds are evened out. If your players can't make it on time respect the ones that can and have a firm start time with a 10 minutes window where late players are blinded out. Add-ons should be up to and including your first break, after that play what you have. Casual games are great but if you are looking for some structure you need to put some basic rules into place. Your regular players need that respect to ensure they continue to come.
Old 02-10-08, 04:30 AM

Play a cash game if lateness is a problem?
Old 04-28-08, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BmeRU2 View Post
We play a fairly large (14 to 25 players) game

1) This one seems to be a BIG point of disagreement. Once we go to 10 players we separate it into 2 tables of 5. However, once 1 table loses a player and is playing with 4 players they always seem to want to merge to make one table of 9. The people with the 5 players always complain. (until the next week when THEY are at the table with 4...hehe).
I'm assuming this is a cash game night, not a tourney, and that players arrive to fill up the table (thus causing the "problem"). The complaint is that the 5-player table wants to play short-handed, and the other table doesn't?

You didn't say how many tables you can support- I suspect you only have two?

Quote:
2) As it is a casual game and it is difficult for people to always arrive on time, any suggestions on a penalty (or cut off time) for people arriving late?
For cash games, there is none... unless late arrivals go on the waiting list for the next game.

For a tourney- I do two things for mine:
a) Cut off after end of 3rd round- you arrive starting in the 4th round, you can help form cash games.
b) I don't blind off stacks. Instead, I penalize the late stacks when they arrive, reducing their stack before seating them.

Quote:
3) Any idea on how to set up the blinds (or a program or chart that can do it automatically) as every week there are a different number of players and yet we really like to end at around the same time. That has been a real challenge.
More specifics, please- about length of time desired, range of participant counts to accomodate, etc.
A swing of 1-2 players shouldn't make a huge difference in ending time.

Quote:
4) We do allow rebuys and then a last addon, when do you think the last addon should be at?
Can't answer this without more info- how many rebuys do you average? What are starting stacks vs. rebuy stacks?
Old 04-28-08, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottery Larry View Post
I'm assuming this is a cash game night, not a tourney, and that players arrive to fill up the table (thus causing the "problem"). The complaint is that the 5-player table wants to play short-handed, and the other table doesn't?

You didn't say how many tables you can support- I suspect you only have two?
Looks as if you meant you have a tourney group and arriving players are so spaced out that you work your way up to expand to two tables.

Do NOT split the single table until you have more players than seats. If a 10-player table, don't split the tourney to two tables until 11-12 players show up.

Another potential solution to controlling the lateness- either change your starting time to accomodate 80% of your regulars.... or give the on-time arrivals a 10-15% bonus add-on to their starting stack, before the tourney starts dealing cards.