Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-12-05, 02:08 AM
Administrator

If Raymer wins the WSOP . . .

Would this be the greatest feat in poker history?

Will a back-to-back ever be done again?
Old 07-12-05, 03:37 AM
Unregistered

If Raymer can repeat it would be the greatest feat in WSOP history. When Chan did it there were so many fewer playersin the main event. Right now I would have to rank Harrington's back-to-back final tables ahead of Chan's repeat, just for the fact that in 2004 there were 2600+ players.
Old 07-12-05, 04:44 AM
Administrator

On a side note - Johnny Chan finished SECOND in the main event the year after he won back-to-back titles.
Old 07-12-05, 10:07 AM
Unregistered

Day 5 Raymer is the chip leader. i either want him, dutch boyd or ivey(mostly ivey) to win. it would be awesome though if raymer repeated.
Old 07-13-05, 11:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to FergyFan315
my question is, if Raymer does repeat,will he be a poker LEGEND
Old 07-13-05, 02:47 PM
Administrator

In "real" players eyes I tihnk he will be because they can see that he has talent. Msot of the trash talking players wont give him credit because they dont give anyone credit.
Old 10-11-05, 07:42 AM

WE were just talking about this the other day at the ring game.

Given the size of the fields, I don't know if a repeat will ever be possible again, never less a back to back.
Really, when Stu Ungar did it in 80 and 81, there were like, what. 100 people paid in, give or take?
And in 97, there were still less than 1000, right?
The most dominant tournament player ever by a wide margin (like, what Wayne Gretzky was to hockey in the mid 80's dominant...) did it, but still in an era when the fields were fractions of what they are today.

Chans wins were huge, but even as realitively recent as those were the field sizes still PALE in comparison to what they are today.
Given the nature of the game, I don't think a person will ever win B2B WSOP Main Events. With that many people and with the element of luck in play, I think a repeat is impossible.

I've been wrong before, but if anyone wanted to lay odds on a 10 year stretch, i'd be glad to bet all comers that says i'm not.

Last edited by gulfport@gmail.com; 10-11-05 at 07:45 AM.