Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-01-10, 06:33 AM

Does Holdem Have The Best Skill To Luck Ratio?

I haven't been on this forum forever, but am wandering

is Texas holdem the game with the highest skill to luck ratio?

I theorize that people primarily beat the other variations because the is a greater ratio of players that really do not know what they are doing most of the time.

But with Holdem, there seems to be more skill involved than Omaha, because you have better odds to zero in on the opponents range of hands as well as the chasing factor in Omaha.

in draw games, all you can really do is make a gamble on whether or not your hand is stronger than the opponents hand. I realize theres more to it than that, but ultimately if both players had equal knowledge of the other game-play factors, it would be a guessing game.
Old 06-01-10, 11:27 AM
Administrator

I have always looked at Hold Em as an easier game because you see 71% of your cards after the flop (5 out of 7 cards). Just by sticking to by-the-book pre-flop play you can be a solid player.

It's harder to conceptualize a hand where your cards come one at a time. Also, the hi/lo aspect of Omaha leads that game to be more complicated.

I'm not sure if this is true though.
Old 06-28-10, 01:24 AM

Texas Holdem is a game that involves a variety of skills. You need to have a good understanding of the fundamentals and math. You need to understand why certain hands do well against others and what scenarios suit varying cards. Then you need to be able to have the discipline to do what is right even if it is difficult or boring.