Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-06-05, 08:24 AM

I think i played this right but it still hurts....

Ok, I play in a .50/1.00 no limit hold em game ($20 cash in) with a group of my friends. This particular night i was down all night. I got down to something like 5 bucks. I fought my way back and was up 15 bucks when my buddy called his last hand. There were five of us in the game at this point. I was dealt Ad/9d and I was dealer. The table called to me and I called. The little blind called and the big blind (my buddy) raised 3 bucks. The table folded to me and I called. The small blind called. The flop was Ah 7h and 8s. My buddy bet 2 bucks, the small blind folds and I call. The turn was a Qc and my buddy checked and I checked (afraid of a check/raise). The river was a 2h. My buddy bet all in. I had top pair but there was a flush showing. I thought about it for 10 minutes before I folded. I thought about it because my buddy had been bluffing all night, and had gotten me 4 or 5 times. I called him on his big blind raise because he is known for raising in the big blind with nothing. I thought that he might be bluffing but I had fought back to get where I was and didn't want to loose it.
I folded and he flipped his card up with nothing. That hurt. I know that I made the right decision but it hurt. Could I have played this differently?
Old 01-06-05, 01:07 PM
Chad

You played it totally wrong.

You should have bet an A 9d just a little pre-flop. You should have raised with the top pair of As on the flop since you know your friend is a bser. And what are the odds that he would have had 2 hearts.
No very big. You know he was a bluffer, but you folded anyway. You aren't aggressive enough.
Old 01-06-05, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
You aren't aggressive enough.

That is true...........especially that night...because I had worked so hard to come back, i guess I was a little to tight.........too much of a puss puss........
Old 01-06-05, 09:27 PM
Chad

Yeah, it happens.

All new players start off that way for about a year. I did.
Old 01-07-05, 06:01 AM

Quote:
All new players start off that way for about a year. I did.
I not necessarily a new player.........just only recently taken it seriously.......looking at odds and outs and really trying to up my game, so maybe in a since I am new
Old 01-07-05, 09:37 AM
Chad

That's the way I do it.

I have just realized that I have been incredibly unlucky. I get all of my chips in with the best hand and I have been losing after they call with between 4to1 and 19to1 odds against them. Reminds me of the pro, Chip Reese. He gets his chips in with a monster and usually gets outdrawn while the other guy has 2 or 3 outs. This strategy should work for most people though. If there is any kind of draw on the board, I will make my opponent(s) pay to see it.
Old 07-07-05, 06:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This strategy should work for most people though. If there is any kind of draw on the board, I will make my opponent(s) pay to see it.
So your saying that your brilliant strategy of getting all your money in as a 4:1 or 19:1 favorite isn't working for you. May I ask to what alternative strategy you are considering?