Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-20-04, 01:56 AM

Home game advertising

Hello forum, Im new here and I have a few questions about how you guys run your home games. ive just purchased a VERY expensive table and will be opening up my cardroom in a few weeks. My question to you all is, how do you advertise your game while still keeping it a secret at the same time? Im looking to serve to all manner of people except police and authority types and Im wondering whats the best way to get the word out. I dont want my friends involved, I want to be a haven to poker players withing a 20 mile radius. Basically what im saying is, how do you move out of the home game and into a small cardroom without too much attention?
Old 08-19-04, 10:43 AM

You are an idiot. If you just want strangers playing at your place you better get security. You will be robbed and arrested in no time. If you are serious about getting started you have to start very small. Invite friends over to play in games and slowly ask them to bring someone they know.SLOWLY!!! When that new person gets there tell them it is ok to come for now on with out the person that brought them. But ONLY if they are not shady. Then just keep doing that. I started my room up about 3 years ago and have never had a problem. I have had cops brought in with friends but trusted them cause I knew my friend would not set me up. I have 4 regulars that are cops now and they are usually my security to. When they are not there I keep a 95lbs Pitbull at my side and a loaded 9mm under the cash out desk. If you are serious about starting a card room, you should really take my advice. I know if someone I didn't know just gave me a flyer to there place, I would rob them blind after they close. I am not being an ass, just telling you how it is.
Old 11-22-04, 11:10 AM

good point stomp

my home game is pretty exclusive, and stomp explained why. Unless you are going to hire security, you're stupid to advertise to the public. I dont think i would rob a public game blind, but i wouldnt be showing up to a high stakes game w/ 5k in my pocket if i didnt know the credentials of the establishment. but thats just my opinion, i could be wrong.
Old 01-07-05, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstomp
You are an idiot.

your friends are the ones you want there. Why would you not want your friends there. You are setting yourself up for some bad news......getting robbed, cut ups, you name it.