Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > COMMENTS
FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #631  
Old 12-02-05, 06:00 PM
SirBumpAlot/
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hey Steph-High Roller-Stu Ungar story. Was that an acurate depliction of the life that your father lived cause i know it was one of the best texas holdem/gambling movies i have seen. I too am a (old school)Texas holdem player and make a great living at it. For the younger up and coming players, especially the one's in college, my advice STAY IN SCHOOL!! And the people in here with all the ignorant and VERY disrespectful comments pertaining to Stephanie's Father,use your brains before typing in here. There is still a thing called poker etiquisy and just plain respect I see it not being used more and more each day and it is those few people that give "our" game a poor name. I grew up in a house that had alot of poker playing in it and Stu's name came out of my fathers mouth alot over the years. My father passed away 1 day before Stu did and he idolized him as a great and TRUE poker player. R>I>P Stu..no holds barred "the greatest Limit poker player to ever live" <-- Doyle Brunson's quote and my opinion also!
  #632  
Old 12-02-05, 06:00 PM
Scoop
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Last night I watched "High Roller" for the first time and was sadly disappointed. Yes, it was a good MOVIE, but I feel as though they made a mockery out of my poker idol. There seemed to be so many inaccuracies that the movie was made strictly for the sake of being a movie rather than an actual portrayal of Stu himself.That being said, I'm relatively new to the whole tournament poker scene - only been playing for three years (after 2002 WSOP; only playing in the casino since last year when I turned 18 :-/) but the more I play, the more I see poker changing. Never again can I imagine a player like Stu Ungar being successful at the WSOP or any other big event in NLH. There's far too many "online pros" out there that haven't the brilliance nor determination Stu possessed. He was truly a legend and will forever remain, in my mind, the greatest poker player of all time.
  #633  
Old 12-03-05, 06:00 PM
DJ.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
steph,Iam so glad to hear that your dad gave his life to the lord.I played with him at many poker tables in L.A. in the 80s.I gave up poker and am helping other compulsive gamblers through recovery. God bless you .
  #634  
Old 12-04-05, 06:00 PM
StanDaMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
HI steph ,could u pls tell me the name of the new movie as i can,t find any info at Graham King,s website TYVM/// P.S release date;;
  #635  
Old 12-04-05, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The movie is in it's deleloping stages. I don't even know what the name will be. But when I have more info I will fill you in.
  #636  
Old 12-04-05, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
DJ,My mom and I are starting "The Stu Ungar Foundation." It is going to be geared towards Sucide prevention, Drug and alcohol abuse and Gambling addiction. We plan on opening a rehab center too. Tell me how you are going about helping others who are cumpulsive gamblers. I would really like to know more of what you do. Thanks! Stefanie
  #637  
Old 12-04-05, 06:00 PM
SirBumpAlot/
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The movie I saw was called "High Roller the Stu Ungar story"..Is there another? If so, I'd like to know. the one I saw stared the guy from "The Suprano's" Thats the only one I know of.
  #638  
Old 12-04-05, 06:00 PM
Greg Shamblin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Stef, loved the book, thank you for keeping us up to date and recommending it. Your right, I couldn't put it down though I think they rushed through the final days almost as if hurridly put together either because the writers were so worn out by the roller coaster ride of Stu's life or just to get the book put out by a certain date, I would recommend that the writers or publisher would redo that last chapter. None the less, EXCELLENT reading and a fantastic life Stu led even though almost as short as the fantastic life of Elvis Presley. Billy Joel was most correct when he wrote the song, "Only the Good Die Young" and there is no doubt that good people get caught and pulled down by bad addictions and depression. I seriously think that just like Howard Hughes, Stu could have been helped tremendously with the correct medications such as Lexapro or something else that would have helped control his hyperactive and addictive mind. I hope the book brings light into the lives of those caught up on the same merry go round and help them to get help and climb off safely. Would love to know when their might be another book signing. I will be out in Vegas this coming January, I plan on placing a rose on Stu's grave if that would be okay. Best of Luck to you and yours.
  #639  
Old 12-06-05, 06:00 PM
jb.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I feel sorry for the people who leave comments like he was nothing but a drug addict!?! that still doesn't take away from how unbelievable good he was at NL. 3 main event wins!?!? STFU
  #640  
Old 12-06-05, 06:00 PM
Pete
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The book was Fantastic!
  #641  
Old 12-08-05, 06:00 PM
vampyre
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
i think thats a bad name for a foundation thats gonna b geared 2wards anti-suicide and drug/gambling abuse prevention. stu ungar was the foremost card genius this race ever produced not a fking junkie. its like "hey there was this guy stu who did drugs and gambled and he died dont be like him join this foundation we named after him" his name needs to be on card clubs or maybe a museum not a rehab center.
  #642  
Old 12-13-05, 06:00 PM
edconrey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Genius courts failure! This guy was far and away the best card player while he was alive! He was one of the best propostion gamblers up there with the likes of Doyle and Slim. As he said when he won his 3rd title, "The only person that can beat me at this card table
  #643  
Old 12-13-05, 06:00 PM
Vegas Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
"He was one of the best propostion gamblers up there with the likes of Doyle and Slim"Then what did he blow his money on? I've never heard before that he was a good gambler, just a fantastic tournament poker player and the greatest gin rummy player ever.
  #644  
Old 12-14-05, 06:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Stu is truly the greatest card player to ever live but one of the best proposition gamblers? No. As far as proposition gambling goes Titanic Thompson was and is the best. No one could hold a candle to what Ti could come up with.
  #645  
Old 12-14-05, 06:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
However if Ti and Stu went heads up in NLH, Ti would go down hard like the legend goes.
  #646  
Old 12-21-05, 06:00 PM
Kent
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the Kind words Steph I was disappointed but that ofyen happens when we get our expectations too high. For me staying clean and away from the rush of drugs or gambling came through 12 step programs which allowed me to re-connect with a "higher power" which was the teachings of Jesus. We often look for a plan and when we hit our heads against walls we look for escapes (drugs,gambling...quick fixes...then dissappointment). A mind seeking escape does not confront fear and for me faith and awareness of my diseases relieved that fear so I could go on and become what I was put here for (a calling) and not throw my life away looking for escapes or an easy fix. No one "including Jesus" said life would be easy. But the desire for money and "stuff" blinds us to life. We must learn to live in the present not the past or future and enjoy gods gift of life. That was just for me... each one of us are on our own path and own purpose... no better no worse and without judgement. Money and desire to be the greatest leads to the isolation of the spirit and away from truth of who we really are. We all fall short at times and no one can cast the first stone. I have always believed you are who you are... I have always admired your Dad and knew all about him and his life and knew who you were by what you said as truth... but after getting to know his daughter here (a little..which is why i was so dissappointed not to meet you) I now realize there is a reason beyond our comprehension and evolution of his life and now through you and your Mom a lesson for all of us. Thanks again and God bless your Mom and you for using the money to help others. KentP.s. I am not only clean but have stopped gambling.
  #647  
Old 12-21-05, 06:00 PM
Kent
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
P.S. Too those with hate in your hearts an petty words...I will pray for you and not take time to get involved in hatred. If you could read what we were talking about you would have understood. There are always those that must stand on others to to look taller. Sad
  #648  
Old 12-22-05, 06:00 PM
Moogle9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Come on guys, lets all settle down now. Anyways, about Doyle being the best. Yeah, I thought so too when I first bought Super System and read all about his back to back wins. I thought he was a legend, which he is, don't get me wrong. But when you start to learn about Stuey you realize there exists a man with a far greater legend in the making. In fact, when he beat Doyle in 80' to win the Championship, that was the starting point of his amazing story. It just seems like fate that a man who was bound for his third World Series title (Doyle had two from 76'&77') was beat by another man who actually went on to attain three championship titles, and that man was none other than Stuey 'the Kid' Ungar. (80',81', 97). And he beat THE Doyle Brunson. Wow, you know, all I can say is that it had to be fate. I mean, what else could it be. A phoenix risen from the ashes to come back 16 years later to win it one last time to make history... just something to think about.

Last edited by HPG ADMIN; 02-05-13 at 10:33 PM.
  #649  
Old 12-22-05, 06:00 PM
joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
i just seen the movie its a great moviesteph u should aim me i want to know more about ur dad my sn for aim is provman11
  #650  
Old 12-23-05, 06:00 PM
PowerfulRog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Steph,I would love to talk to you, maybe interview you for a website I post on. Please respond. My email [email]isroger2000@graffiti.net[/email]
  #651  
Old 12-24-05, 06:00 PM
BiGkDiZzLe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
those who have yet to see the movie, go rent it A,S,A,P, it is one of the msot influential poker movies ever created, better then rounders! RIP Stu!
  #652  
Old 12-27-05, 06:00 PM
b-easy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
he once with a board of a 5 6 k A Q called a huge bet after the river with a 9 10 and said you either have 3 4 or 7 8 come on hes te best ever hands down
  #653  
Old 12-27-05, 06:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
That was against Mansour Matloubi. But the board was different from the post above. The board was 7-3-3-K-Q. Stu w/10-9, Mansour w/5-4 offsuit. Stu beat him with a mere 10 high. What an incredible read! Stu is da man!
  #654  
Old 12-28-05, 06:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Stefanie, All the best...I am currently reading One of a Kind and will look forward to the future movie. You have landed a first rate guy to create the proper silver screen story. It is something to read about the dismissive statements regarding Stu Ungar as a junkie. Your Dad was a tremendous individual and terribly conflicted one at that. From what I could gather the biggest drug problems surfaced later in his life after your brother Richie's death. Was the spiral into drug addiction triggered by that event? All the best and be well.
  #655  
Old 12-29-05, 06:00 PM
Greg C.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Stu the kid Ungar. The greatest to sit at a poker table, he played with no fear. His balls were titanic. Hes my definition of a gambler. Either you win big or lose it all thats the only way to play as far as im concerened. The man was a genius something of a pheneomon. When he played to his ability he couldnt lose and he knew that, and hed make sure you knew it too. If he could still play today i could only imagine the impact hed have on the poker world now. I think i heads up match between him and Mike the mouth would be an event for the ages. Or him and hellmuth. Hes the greatest poker player to ever play the game...then, now, and forever.
  #656  
Old 12-31-05, 06:00 PM
cc/ xemos_damion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Its a shame those of us who were not involved in poker when stu played missed seeing him play. I am sure without question that he was the greatest NLH tourney player of all time, and we wont even start on his talent in gin. we may never see a natural talent such as stu again. I think he said it best when even he said "I dont know how I know things, I just do!" Anyone who reallly does the research will see what an amazing talent this man was. To all of you who just see his drug abuse and choose to define his life by it, you are just narrow minded. His love of life was displayed by his zest of gambling. He was willing to put it all out there, all the time. I dont know about anyone else but what a man it takes to live every day, hour, min., second like its your last. Stu's accomplishments in NLH and gin will probabally never be matched, but more importantly we should all try and live our lives to fullest just as stu did. Stef. I dont know anything about you, but thank you for contributions to this site and the book. Its nice to have a chance to learn more about men like your father. Stu-keep cracking the big game upstairs like we know you are!
  #657  
Old 12-31-05, 06:00 PM
Vegas Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
You're joking, right? Stu was a genius who was completely owned by his addictions.
  #658  
Old 01-02-06, 06:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
who is writting the screenplay for the movie?

Who has the title role as Stu?

wut is the movie called
  #659  
Old 01-08-06, 06:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
stefanie is hot!!!
  #660  
Old 01-09-06, 06:00 PM
moneyman136
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Just finished "One of a kind", I knew he was good but I did'nt think he was that good. Unbelievable book about an unbelievable person. Stu is the best ever. And no disrespect intended: To Stephanie and your mother...You are very hott! seen pics in book
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.