Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > COMMENTS
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-01-04, 06:00 PM
curtis warren

what about PK's family,surely they will remember him?
Old 12-02-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

man, the time its taken for the owner of this site to write up a biography on Stuey is long! It must be really good then!
Old 12-05-04, 06:00 PM
Makaveli

does anyone know of any links to sites that have stories about stuey's headsup battles or things like that? i'd like to check out more on that. that call mentioned above is unbelievable
Old 12-06-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

[url]http://www.philhellmuth.com/hand_of_the_week.php?howid=44[/url]
Old 12-07-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

hey when is the movie/slash book out
Old 12-08-04, 06:00 PM
phil earle/phil/earlephil

stefanie Unger. Your dad and I were very close. There are some things he shared with me about you, which some day I hope to share with you.Hesaid the most beautiful thing to me about you that a father could ever say about his daughter. I have a picture of him holding you as a baby, very little shows of you but it is you. Its the happiest moment I've ever seen him. N Dalla knows me well and can tell you I told him some compassionate and brillant things about your dad. Some 6 hrs of tapped phone converation. Nolan is a bright man with agreat heartthats in the right place. I wish you the greatest success with the book. doc earle
Old 12-08-04, 06:00 PM
Tourney Champion

Hes not the greatest NLH player ever. He's the greatest Gin player ever in that he was unbeatable. In terms of NLH he was probably the greatest tourney player ever. In cash games there were better that's TJs opinion and most of the dealers that knew him
Old 12-09-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

exactly. He was the greatest NLH tourney player ever, without a doubt. But he was still one of the best NLH cash players ever too.So if he's the best NLH tourney player and one of the top few NLH cash game players, then he is the best NLH PLAYER ever.
Old 12-10-04, 06:00 PM
tarot bailey

Surely theres no such game as "no limit" holdem "cash game". Surely this implies that you can move all in with all the money you have?? I thought cash games are always played with limits ($20/40...$1500/3000)etc. Please correct me if im wrong?
Old 12-10-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

The differences between NL tournament play and NL cash play. In a tournament, a player most frequently has from five to 40 times the amount of the big blind. In a cash game, you will most frequently has 40 to 100 times the big blind. These differences do have a great impact on strategy. Its still table stakes, but you can probably rebuy if you want.A cash game is just a ring game... 9 people will sit down at a table with an amount each in chips, and if theyre playing NL they can put all there chips in the pot at once.In a tourney you can use a slightly bit of a different strategy. Say that a pot comes up between you and a short stack person. He goes all in on the flop with probable top pair or maybe two pair, and all you have is a flush draw. In a cash game you would probably fold unless you are getting good pot odds, but in a tourney you might gamble and call as if you make that flush then you'll be in chip leader position and have a greater position to win the game.
Old 12-17-04, 06:00 PM
tj.reece

Wow, Stu IS the greatest player. I have read as much as I can about him, and I was looking forward to this movie until stephanie said that it was untrue. Btw, how does everyone know what she looks like? Anyways, you guys should really stop bashing him for his drug problem. I know many people that do drugs, and yes...I do. If you want to call me a junkie for that then F*** You. Just because he did drugs, does not make him a bad person. I think that the fact that he had a drug problem and a gambling problem makes his life that more interesting. I started playing poker at 8 years old playing draw poker. I have only ever seen poker pages about him, and I have never seen anything about him playing gin rummy. But if he is a better gin rummy player than poker, then He must be amazing. I did not know until today, however that he only played the WSOP 3 times! I also heard that he played the Superbowl of poker and won 3 times there aswell. How many times did he play that? Anyways, the only other question about him that I have on him is I was always curious how he treated his family and why he and his ex wife broke up. I am really anticipating the biography coming out of him. Soon, there will be a report for school that I will have to do. I knew the day I found out about the project that I am going to do it on Stu Ungar. I really am interested in learning more about him. He is the greatest player ever!
Unregistered

It's hard work. Gambling. Playing poker. Don't let anyone tell you different. Think about what it's like sitting at a poker table with people whose only goal is to cut your throat, take your money, and leave you out back talking to yourself about what went wrong inside.
Unregistered

that above post was a quote from the great late Stu Ungar. [email]tj.reece@gmail.com[/email].... you said in your post that Stu only entered into the WSOP 3 times and won each time. while most people believe that its actually untrue, I know he did enter at least one other time and didnt win (he got like 12th or something)
Old 12-18-04, 06:00 PM
tj.reece

aah....oh well..4 times then, and winning 3! thats pretty ironic
Old 12-21-04, 06:00 PM
enty

I think this site is hillarious,people just come on and slag off all these famous players who are either loaded with cash or have had more success than all the people posting on here put together.Stu Ungar's daughter comes on here with info on a book comming out,and immediately people post abuse aimed at her. This site (obviously)should be taken with a pinch of salt,although I do wish people would post more interesting things at times,it does get a little bit boring people slagging off these great,successful players.
michael_bernstein

Stefanie: I work for the upper deck company, we are the worldwide leader in sports and entertainment trading cards and memorabilia. We are in the process of producing a set of trading cards featuring poker players and would love to feature your father in our set. Can you please contact my email address above so that we can discuss an agreement that would allow us to use your father's image for our trading card product. Thank you.
Unregistered

hey upperdeck guy if you are for real here are some suggestions - Ace of Spades - stuey Ace of Clubs - Johnny mossAce of Diamonds - Doyle BrunsonAce of hearts - johnny chan. i.e. the four people to have the WSOP main event more than once are the four aces.Well you better make stuey the ace of spades anyway.
Unregistered

hey steph, say you will agree but only if they make stuey the ace of spades.
Old 12-24-04, 06:00 PM
mil

wahoo, i just made a whole $5 playing 10 cent limit poker on pokerstars. Pretty soon Ill be playing in the biggest cash games in the world.
Old 12-25-04, 06:00 PM
chris moneyfaker

Jesus Stu...why didnt you buy a damn comb with all your money with you were alive
Old 12-30-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

Stu Ungar was a great nl hold em player. He was a freak of nature when it came to card games. His raw abilities and talents will never be matched. However, I cannot say the same about his qualities as a person. He regularly abused dealers and even threw a card at a dealers eye once. Many of the top players he played against couldn't stand him-not because he took their money but because of the way he acted at the table. In my opinion he was a punk who lived and loved the fast life of drugs and gambling that lead to his demise. If you want an example of a poker player who is also a great person look for Barry Greenstein who donates millions of dollars in winings to charity not a drug habit.
Old 12-30-04, 06:00 PM
the same guy who made the last post

Stefanie-My condolences go out to you and your family, this time of year must be hard for you. On a lighter note, how's your poker game? Did your dad teach you any of his tricks?
Old 12-31-04, 06:00 PM
DavidduFresne

Hey Stefanie, Don't know if you are still active on here as I notice there are a lot of idiots being crude. (Sorry for that.) Anyway, I wanted to ask you a question...Do you feel overall your Dad had a good life? I mean I know he died a lot younger than he should have and that must have been bad for you and his family, but do you think he was overall happy? I ask this because I have had some of the same problems your dad had, and although I have regrets at times I think they have also been some of my most excitement filled times, and that living life to the fullest is not always horrible even if it may be cutting short your life. Anyway, happy new year, and I will look forward to reading the book on Stu when it comes out. Sincerely, David
Old 01-02-05, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

Hello guys! I want to answer a few of your questions that was asked to me. On poker... I have no idea how to play poker. My dad never taught me how to play. For one, he told me that he didn't want me involved in that lifestyle. He would say the way that the guys talked at the table was disgusting and he didn't want me around that. Secondly, my dad never had the patience to teach cards to anyone. He would say that he didn't understand how he knew the things he knew so it was hard for him to teach others. For my dad, cards(any game) came so natural to him. He said it was scarey thought. I do know how to play Gin Rummy though. I am pretty good at it but I am no Stu Ungar. For the second guy's question... Yes my dad sure did live life as we say "in the fast lane" at times but I don't think in the end he was truly happy inside. He didn't like the fact that he had a drug problem. He would say he didn't even like the high he would get anymore. He just really had an addiction problem. Alot of people can judge and say what they want about him and the way he lived his life but I don't believe anyone should judge anyone until you have walked in that person's shoes. There are usually reasons behind why people drink and do drugs(mostly to escape from something) but as he found out later in life it get's you no where running from your problems. But to fully answer your question... I am sure he's had alot of fun and exciting times but to say if he was truly happy inside I could only tell you what he use to tell me "if he didn't have me then he would have nothing to live for." He wanted to write this book thats about to come out in hopes that someone who might be going through a similar situation would learn from his mistakes and it could help them. I think some people have a bad impression of my dad and I can't wait till this book comes out so some may see a different side to him that isn't always talked about. Talk to you all later. Stefanie
Old 01-02-05, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

I just wanted to say one more thing. If you talk to any of the "Top Players" about who was one of the most generous guy's in the poker circle I know my dad's name would be mentioned. That's what he has known for. I've heard many stories from alot of these "top players" about his great generosity. Now I can't comment on if he donated to charity but I do know he always gave to people if they were in need.
Old 01-04-05, 06:00 PM
DavidduFresne

Stefanie, Just wanted to thank you to take the time to answer my question. It is sad your Dad felt so empty, I know drugs and partying are fun but surely not satisfying.Please inform all of us when the book gets out. Thanks again, David
Old 01-04-05, 06:00 PM
Eight of Hearts

Stefanie, I just want to say I have read your posts for quite a while, and I really appreciate them. Anyone who says you are after money with the book must be overlooking the fact that you have nothing to do with the movie being made because you dont believe it was the truth about your father. That takes courage and morals to turn down, as I'm sure it would have been a nice check. So to all you people criticizing this woman, and her father, who is dead, please take a step back and at least have some decency. How would you feel if a bunch of strangers on a website were making fun of your dead father? Nobody's is perfect, and a lot of people abuse drugs, and probably 99% of those people didn't have the talent and skill that Stu Ungar had in his left pinky toenail. He is a legend, one of the greatest gaming minds of all time, and he deserves respect, as well as no comparison to people like Phil Helmuth. This new years I celebrated two years clean from drugs, I am a professional poker player and it is stories like that of Stu Ungar that keep me clean. He was and still is an inspiration to all who live by the use of their minds, intellect, and heart. Peace - SD
Old 01-08-05, 06:00 PM
Stefanie Ungar

That's is so good to hear that it has been two years. It's stories like yours that makes this whole book thing worth it. Do you really think I want all my dads buisness to be put out there the way it's going to? But he wanted to do this and now I have the responsibility to carry it on for him. My dad would of been so happy to hear you can use his life as example to stay clean. It kind of shows that mabey there was some good that came out of it. Take care and keep staying strong. Stefanie
Old 01-08-05, 06:00 PM
TruePimpinBalla

Stefanie, Your father has inspired me in so many ways. Not only from his play, but of the generosity I've heard that he showed people in times of need. I believe he was not only the greatest poker players of all time, but i believe he had a heart unlike anyone elses'. Everyone out their take care- TA
Old 01-09-05, 06:00 PM
Isaac Rajman

I just want to tell you Stefanie, that the greatest victory your father scored was having you ; I have never seen him play, but from what i´ve read he was second to none. Rip Stuey, and stefanie i wish you all the luck from now on. Yours Isaac