Go Back   HomePokerGames Poker Forum > FORUMS > COMMENTS
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-20-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

POKER INFO - PROILE - Hoyt Corkins

Another GREAT player! I kinda wish he was more brutal with Gus at the POKERSTARS WTP final table. Hes got a cool hot too!
Old 06-21-04, 06:00 PM
kiddjason.

Love the way this guy puts pressure on players. The guy seems to make every bet count and has his opponents squirming constantly. He may not be the best player in the world, but he's probably the one I'd dread playing the most. He's fearless and never seems to relent once he starts a bluff. This can be to his detriment, but man he flat out tortures his opponents.
Old 07-06-04, 06:00 PM
Brompton

he owns Phil Helmuth...lol that WPT was the best when he played him like a fiddle. Fav part was when he told Phil that Mohammed has him by a 100k when it was down to teh final 3. He He
Old 07-09-04, 06:00 PM
Gman

This guy is a poker genius no doubt. Well a no-limit hold'em genius, poker itself is far bigger than no-limit. Like they all said he puts tremendous pressure on his opponents but can give himself crucial free cards and can sniff out traps more conservative players set. He realizes his aggressive image and plays it nearly perfectly. Against Hansen he actually had A9 against 109 preflop and lost the pot.
Old 07-12-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

Check out [url]www.hoytcorkins.com[/url]
Old 08-20-04, 06:00 PM
smash

Sorry, No One Owns Phil Hellmuth-->9bracelelts
Old 08-20-04, 06:00 PM
AlisoninVegas

I wish he would stick to games that are appropriate for his level and bankroll. Showing up at my game at the Palms and calling all his chips for draws is irritating to the "little" people, especially when you hit them a few times. Nice flushes on the river, Hoyt. Guess you'll have to make it up to me.
Old 08-23-04, 06:00 PM
billy

hoyt is the nicest guy i,ve ever met ....no edge on him at all
Old 08-31-04, 06:00 PM
pokerface

Hoyt plays the game the way that is most efficient. He takes advantage with his stack. He reads well and seems to know where he is at. Most importantly he does not waste time talking. One of the biggest mistakes both experienced and new players make is talking at the table. NEVER talk to your opponents unless you are saying, RAISE, FOLD, CALL, or ALL-IN. Too much information is conveyed when you talk. Your mood can be gauged. Your character can be identified and potentially used against you. I can now tell whether you may be an aggressive personality or passive. The list goes on. Dewey Tomko said it best, "Keep your mouth shut." Never give your opponents an edge." Talking gives your opponents a much larger edge than you would ever imagine.
Old 09-07-04, 06:00 PM
Evster64

Hmmmm....Do you get the feeling that "Smash" IS Phil Hellmuth? Regardless, Corkins DOES own Hellmuth in at least one area: class. Corkins is a gentleman; Hellmuth isn't.
Old 09-13-04, 06:00 PM
SpecialK1224

I loved watching him just take Phil Hellmuth out. Hellmuth was so confused and upset.
Old 09-23-04, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

Great poker player and seems to be a nice guy....nuff said
Old 10-09-04, 06:00 PM
RivahQueen

To AlisoninVegas, if you are going to play for flushes you have to play it to the river, so grow up and learn the game and stop your belly aching......be glad you had the honor of playing with a great poker player and take note of how he played and emulate. Learn, don't complain! Hoyt is not just a great hold'em player, he plays great Razz and Omaha. He has a WSOP bracelet from 1992 for Omaha. Hoyt is quiet and observant at the table. He is a real gentleman and not someone with an overinflated ego that has to be fed. Hoyt's style of play and manner helps raise poker to a respectable status in the world of sports. Move over Golf......here comes Poker!
Old 10-09-04, 06:00 PM
amnutz

cool, calculating, has great TV presence and gives no tells.....great player who one day will be in the ranks legens like Doyle Brunson.....
Old 11-11-04, 06:00 PM
Jesse/"Meng The Master"

He took 10+ years off from playing poker! Wonder if he was locked up or something. I like his agreesive style and pressure he puts on his opponents. He prob. would tied "E Dog" for player of the year fro WTP 2nd season if it wasn't for that horrible beat against Gus. I think you can def. learn a lot just by watching this guy!
Old 11-11-04, 06:00 PM
ycw

No, He wasn't locked up. He played poker, just small games. I should know, I am his sister.
Old 11-15-04, 06:00 PM
ross_student

This guy deserved a second WTP title, he's pretty awesome with bluffs also.
Old 11-19-04, 06:00 PM
celeste

hoyt..it was really cool meeting you today at the airport!! you are a sweet and kind man. hopefully i'll talk to you soon!..and tell daniel and jennifer i say heyy..tell daniel i had a cup of starbucks right after he talked to me!..haha later and good luck in las vegas
Old 11-22-04, 06:00 PM
richardeum

knows how to put the pressure when your low stacked...like his style and poker manners
Old 11-26-04, 06:00 PM
slvsc2

I caught the replay of the WPT Foxwoods event when he tuned up Phil H. I could watch that event every day. What I like about Hoyt was that he kept bluffing even after he was exposed and managed to keep Mo (and Phil while he was in) guessing. Players who love to carry-on and get all emotional at the table would be wise to learn something from this guy. You may not play his style but his table manner is excellent and worth emulating.
ABHORRENT1

This Guy Sucks, He Got Lucky On The 777 Flop. That Is It. He Sucks. Hellmuth Is Not My Favorite Poker Plyr, But He Is Far Better Than Corkins.
alsherico

Hoyt is obviously one of the best players in the world, he also has insight & humor vested in his personality. I totally enjoyed watching him dismantle Phil Helmuth, Hellmouth, during the recent replay of WPT. He was able to show the world, what an ass Phil really is as a person.If there is any way you can foward this email to Helmouth, it would be greatly appreciated.Al Scherich
Old 11-28-04, 06:00 PM
TO Abhorrent1

Yea, that one lucky flop won him that tournament...you idiot! Plus if you watched it Hoyt put no more money in the pot until he hit the 3 7's. It's not like he was "all in" then got lucky like that. If Phil would of bet then Hoyt would of mucked but Phil checked so Hoyt checked until he got the 3 7's. He played EXCELLENT even Phil would agree. I really like this guy, if you did not understand what he was doing then you do not understand poker.
Old 12-17-04, 06:00 PM
connell884

Anybody that would say that this man sucks does not know this game of poker becuase hoyt corkins is the most intimidating and makes some of the best reads i have ever seen. my goal in life is to be able to at least compete with him
Old 01-22-05, 06:00 PM
hoyt is the man

hoyt is seriously the best poker player i have ever seen. i have total respect for how he plays.
Old 01-29-05, 06:00 PM
flush80

out of all the guys playing poker today, i respect this guy the most, class player
Old 01-31-05, 06:00 PM
fan of good poker players

this guy is what's wrong with poker
Old 02-02-05, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

Explain yourself fan of good poker. Why is he what's wrong with poker today. I just want you to show us all how much you must not understand poker if you think Hoyt is what is wrong with poker, then YOU obviously don't know poker.
Old 02-05-05, 06:00 PM
fan of good poker players

I just really hate "all in" poker, I think its stupid. I guess it works for him, using constant pressure, but I just really hate the all in move when its used over and over and over. Its the reason there are so many bad internet players running around, b/c they get to go all in, its like a thrill for them or something. Also, my beef with Hoyt is that he uses the all in move pretty badly, I mean, why on earth go all in when you're FIRST to act, you opponent could wake up with anything, so either you win the blinds, or you lose most of your stack...seems pretty dumb to me, and the fact that he's winning this way is just going to bring more and more dumb players in just like him that want to go all in every hand pre-flop, its not even poker anymore when that happens.
Old 02-06-05, 06:00 PM
rivahqueen

Right on pokerplayer. You hit the nail on the head. Hoyt is a fabulous player and we can all learn a few lessons by watching him! My favorite episodes are any with Hoyt!